van living

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• hiya, not posted on here for a while, so whos living in there vans tonight, pretty mild for this time of year, havent had to light the burner yet!

• I am ashamed to say I am in a cottage at the moment, van parked outside, but I do have a roaring fire going in the cottage.

To be honest, even though I have the comforts of a house at the moment I still prefer the van -

'You can take the girl out of the van, but you can't take the van out of the girl' :angel:

Dollyx

• I'm virtually homeless, so lend me your van if you aren't using it :hippy:

• In my van now! Been all right at night times, not too chilly. I have a pretty standard sleeping bag (certainly not one of those super cold temp ones) and a fleece and I'm happy :)

• Can you put an awning up?

I did have an awning up for one of those years. I took it down and threw it away. I don't like them. In a wind they become a sail and the caravan is noisy and rocky. Thank you for the suggestion however. Living in a caravan is great if you are single. Now I have a relationship and the lady won't ever move in my caravan. It will have to be a return to normal life - I hope I can re-adapt.

• I did have an awning up for one of those years. I took it down and threw it away. I don't like them. In a wind they become a sail and the caravan is noisy and rocky. Thank you for the suggestion however. Living in a caravan is great if you are single. Now I have a relationship and the lady won't ever move in my caravan. It will have to be a return to normal life - I hope I can re-adapt.

I did wonder how the wind would affect an awning.... I moved from my car into a caravan about 2 weeks ago, feels like a palace :)

Congratulations on your relationship, wish you all the best,c

• hiya, not posted on here for a while, so whos living in there vans tonight, pretty mild for this time of year, havent had to light the burner yet!

We're still in the van but then since selling up bricks & mortar back in 2006 we have no choice, we both love it and you wouldn't see either of us living back in a building anytime in the for see able future. First couple of years we had pretty nippy winters but last year was pretty mild and this year has been the same so far.

• I did wonder how the wind would affect an awning.... I moved from my car into a caravan about 2 weeks ago, feels like a palace :)

Congratulations on your relationship, wish you all the best,c

How long were you in the car for mate? I've had to use the car a few times, but mainly getting by for now on friends sofas and stuff. Might be back to the car soon though, any tips would be well useful :hippy:

• How long were you in the car for mate? I've had to use the car a few times, but mainly getting by for now on friends sofas and stuff. Might be back to the car soon though, any tips would be well useful :hippy:

Nearly 5 months, thankfully it was a good summer.
    Tips?
    Use glovebox for food storage, the flap makes a worksurface.
    Get meals at supermarkets, saves on shopping, cooking, and cleaning.
    Turn cushions or whatever over during the day so they air and don't get damp, stinky, or mouldy.
    Get a 12 volt kettle, only use it when driving.
    Use un scented baby wipes for washing until you can get to a shower.
    Use Google maps to star places you find are ok to sleep at.
    Don't stay in one spot for longer than a day.
    Above all else remember you are only sleeping in the car, not living in it.
    H.t.h.

• Still in the motorhome. Just over a year in this! Parked up near work atm due to being shattered after a long weekend!
    Not too shabby the weather so far, bit nippy a few weeks back but nothing another jumper couldn't fix.
    Trying to put the gas heater off until it gets under 7 degrees in the van. Managed almost 4 months with this current gas canister! Well chuffed considering I love cooking

• Just completed 1st year in this dodge 50 (bus). Previously in Dodge 50 van for 18 months....much better now with a wood burner as we go into December. Based I west Wales mostly so generally fairly mild. Wouldn't fancy going back to a house ! Happy festive to all

• Currently at Aberystwyth, Machynlleth and Borth area. Probably xmas at Borth providing the sea doesn't decide to join in ! Brecon is a good destination for me but a bit too chilly there at present. Have stayed at Pembray area a few times that is a good spot. Enjoy Ammanford ..very central