Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Now I love a good ghost story but that is all that they are; stories.
    Why do people believe in ghosts? I mean there is no possible way a ghost could exist, they violate all the laws of physics with their walking through walls nonsense.
    if you do believe in them how do you get round that?
    If ghosts are not bound by the laws of physics to the planet earth and that explains the walking throw walls, why don't they sink into the ground and disappear? Why, when the Earth spins around the Sun, do the ghosts move with us?

• simples.... You include quantum mechanics and it's all possible :) einstein only didn't leap after his "spooky action at a distance" because he couldn't reconcile what science was showing him with his religious belief ;)

• Ghosts may be visualisations involuntarily made by ourselves, out of impressions of some kind which we are receiving from the surrounding immediate environment. Some people might be more sensitive to such impressions, so some see 'ghosts' where others do not.
    However, this does not explain how ghostly images occasionally appear on film.
    Sometimes 'ghosts' are seen walking at the previous level of a building, rather than the modern level. So they might only be visible from the knees upwards, or might appear to be floating above the ground.
    There are probably reasons why there are several sorts of 'ghosts', and why they 'haunt' or are seen at different places.

I've never done any ghost hunting myself, but have been well acquainted with people who think they've seen them.

• I love ghost stories and alien stories. I believe they exist - well I know aliens do they came and took me for a ride in their spaceship one night The g-force pull of the ship made me feel sick [panic] They were really friendly too. Lovely beings. If they come again I'm going to ask them to send a representative to run for Prime Minister at the next general election next year. They can't do any worse than the moron we've got at present

• They say that if you wake up in the morning with your pyjamas on inside out you have been abducted by aliens (either that or a randy ghost):sex:

• I am reminded of a (true) ghost story that didn't quite happen.
    Back in the 1970's a gal I knew (we called 'em birds in those days) wanted me to give her one in a long-deserted graveyard, near a country cross-roads, in the early hours of the morning, at about this time of year, near Halloween. It would have made a weird scene, for sure, might even have got a ghost or two along, dogging.
    But I'm afraid I chickened out, guys...

• I'm personally a fan of something close to the "Residual Haunting" / "Stone Tape" Theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Tape

The idea is that ghosts and hauntings are really recordings embedded or stored into minerals and somehow replayed under certain conditions.

It is implausible, and the evidence is circumstantial - but it's not really any more implausible than the idea of the dead repeating traumatic events as if stuck in a loop.

• My current thinking is probably much along those lines. Does it take a human or an 'higher' animal to sense these recordings, though?
    I have experience of both dogs and horses 'sensing' fear when going past/into so-called haunted places, and needing calming down. When I was a teenager I lived in a house with a supposedly haunted room, and you just could not get the dog to go in there, even in broad daylight.

• My current thinking is probably much along those lines. Does it take a human or an 'higher' animal to sense these recordings, though?
    I have experience of both dogs and horses 'sensing' fear when going past/into so-called haunted places, and needing calming down. When I was a teenager I lived in a house with a supposedly haunted room, and you just could not get the dog to go in there, even in broad daylight.

i grew up in a supposedly haunted house - many of our friends when we were kids wouldn't come in the house, people had reported seeing old fashioned dressed people in our windows or hearing strange sounds when the house was empty. We had taps turning themselves on in the night causing the room to flood, doors swinging open lights turning themselves off. There was all sorts of stuff going on and a real sense of being watched all the time. A hand grabbed my foot in the bed one night and I screamed the roof off till my mum came to me, she had to put me in her bed for the night I wouldn't go back in my room.. We got used to it over the years but it freaked me out the most when the dogs reacted to it, They'd go mental and we would have to get them out of the room it was happening in immediately. My Mum still lives in that same house although it's a lot quieter now but there is still that presence sometimes.

• I mean there is no possible way a ghost could exist, they violate all the laws of physics with their walking through walls nonsense.
    if you do believe in them how do you get round that?
    If ghosts are not bound by the laws of physics to the planet earth and that explains the walking throw walls, why don't they sink into the ground and disappear? Why, when the Earth spins around the Sun, do the ghosts move with us?

I lived in a cottage that was haunted by a friendly ghost for quite a few years, many instances of things happening that could not be explained, but beneficial to me and my flatmate, such as who lit the fire when the temperature suddenly plumetted and snowed while we were at the pub, who opened the front door with lights on when we forgot our keys - we never ever used it because it was at the wrong side of the house, who was in the lounge in the middle of the night -we both thought it was the other till we talked about it.

As regards proving they exist/laws of physics, that is one of the problems of our "scientific society" where they require concrete evidence of existence before they believe it. I would also point out that at that point in my career I was a scientist.

To those who have challenged my belief I point out that before Newton "explained" gravity apples still fell to the ground. The fact is that all "science" comes from trying to explain observations or proving theories which explain that which what observe. The Higgs Boson being a recent example. Because of scepticism and the frauds/charlatans the same amount of money has not been chucked at whether ghost exist or not.

I know where my beliefs are, but as to what the precise nature of it is I dont know.

Ian

Btw we both liked our unexplained flatmate and the only state altering substance ever used was alcohol.

• I like ghost stories too and haven't experienced much myself but have had first hand stories told to me by people I trust, one was my granddad and he was not a man who you would have expected this from, another was my husband.

At our old house, there was often a 'sense' you would get now and again, when my daughter was very young, I would swear she was talking and smiling at someone and now and again and a rose perfume smell would waft through the house (even in the winter with all doors and windows closed)

I really am a sceptic to most things and will always try and explain things logically but I end with a quote....

''Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'' - Spock

• and a rose perfume smell would waft through the house (even in the winter with all doors and windows closed)

I've experienced that phenomena too - A house I once lived in often had a smell of cinnamon waft through it. I found out from the neighbour the previous owner an old lady who died prior to me moving in used to bake cinnamon bread and toast it every morning for breakfast. Fortunately I like cinnamon so it was very pleasant for me.

• Bit of a shame really that no one has ever dropped dead in my place that had had a habit of maybe making Bacon and Egg in the morning or something .

It would be nice to get up and smell Bacon and Egg wafting around the place .

• I've seen one.. When I was little on the stairs of my parents home. Odd things used to happen in the house from time to time.. The strangest thing was that a glass vase or candle stick holder.. I can't remember now on the fire place was cut in half and the top half placed next to the bottom half. Thus happened over night.

• Bit of a shame really that no one has ever dropped dead in my place that had had a habit of maybe making Bacon and Egg in the morning or something .

It would be nice to get up and smell Bacon and Egg wafting around the place .

:rofl: Solo1 you crack me up you really do. You have a wicked sense of humour

• Holy sh!t
    I was just thinking about starting a 3 word ghost story thread for tonight only. When the wind blew a twig off a tree on to the roof of the caravan it slid off the roof making a scratching noise like fingernails down the back of the van tapping on the window as it passed.
    At least I hope it was a twig.
    There could be something with long fingernails outside trying to get in!
    I'll have a look.

When it gets light.

• :rofl: brilliant