And now I'm stuck in London...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • im really sorry to hear this Firetree, as i know youve been going through the mill.. I hope the operation isnt too drastic. I also hope you get your car sorted... and soon.

• If I could id come and help, I know my way round cars.
    I fully understand why your down.
    Can you get recovery back to bristol?
    its nearer to where I am this week and if no one else can help I might be able to.

• What age of car is it? It cant be worth selling with no clutch and a new clutch cant be so expensive its not worth repairing. Once the door is fixed if its still driving go to another garage and ask for a second opinion. Dont tell them what the first place said, just ask them about the clutch. A small back street garage will give you a better price than a insurance approved dealer. Did hey offer to buy the car from you?

• What age of car is it? It cant be worth selling with no clutch and a new clutch cant be so expensive its not worth repairing. Once the door is fixed if its still driving go to another garage and ask for a second opinion. Dont tell them what the first place said, just ask them about the clutch. A small back street garage will give you a better price than a insurance approved dealer. Did hey offer to buy the car from you?

Fire tree has a vauxhall zafira, the clutch kit it around £80 - £120, so not extortionate.
    I was thinking they wanted the car cheap from her so they could fix it and sell it on. With the tools I have to hand it would take around 4 days to sort properly, but I can't get to London.
    I hope she can get it recovered to the southwest

• I know naathing (a la Manuel!) about cars other than I try to buy salvage parts 'cos I'm not paying ridiculous prices for new parts.... Is it worth trying salvage for the clutch??? I know there are loads of good places online... I used to have a Nissan Serena (aka the skip) previously owned by a family of 6, which went to Europe most summers... but I got a lot of extra mileage out of it because I could get parts much cheaper from salvage... eventually it went for scrap:( .. but I still got £250 for the metal! I know you don't want to say "adios" to yours....

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• Cool, as long as your safe.
    My mistake, I remembered your post that you were in bristol, it must have stuck in mind.
    Take it easy, hope things get sorted soon.

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• I used to work in a garage, and its a trick they love to play, "oh this is buggered,sell it to us its teh best option" then they fix it and sell it on. Ive saw many a young person fall victim to this, used to make me sick but as a young apprentice i couldnt do alot. Im still a mechanic, although a different kind, and i recommend a good old japanese car if it comes to the worst. clutches aint to hard but you need the tools and time,and to know how it works. Maybe if you could get a few quid for it, you could get somthing decent im sure. Iwould help with this if i could. My neighbour is in the same boat the garage wanted 600quid (his cheapest quote) to fix a bent stub axle so i told him get it on axle stands, i go out,tell him what bits to take off, then give me a knock when hes done it and show him the next steps. Needles to say it cost him £30 in the end and some of my help,not 600quid,and the 30 was for the part. Let me know Melissa if theres any way i can help!

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• I would wait a bit for the clutch, with careful driving it could still be going ok in a year, I have noticed clutches on my older cars starting to slip, kept running them (and I generally do 30,000 miles a year). and over a year later have finally given up when the clutch starts slipping in 4th going up hills, so a slightly slipping clutch isnt the end of the world.
    Grendel

• Look at Auto Trader, 2005 Zafara's with that sort of mileage fetch between £1500 and £2000. So by letting the car go you are saving £350 for a new clutch, which is a wearing part and needs replacing once or twice in a car's life, but have to find a whole lot more to replace it with something similar. And if the stars are set against you, the clutch might need doing on that one that before long!

As the door is an insurance job, if I were you I'd get the clutch done, knowing that it won't need doing again for another 89,000 odd miles.

Good luck with the operation.

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• hi fire tree
    if you can get a battery, some cable and an isolator i can fit it for you :) i carry my electrical tools in the car with me.
    i once got some lesiure batterys from a council tip, just asked the guys onsite and walked out gratis
    chin up

• Lots of friendly helpful people on here. dont think ive ever come across a forum like it :waves:

:) got to help a fellow human out shame work ties me to heathrow area till january. and my passenger seat/second single bed is occupied by my best mate for the short term

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• Post by Fire-Tree ().