Ok, so when we moved a couple of years ago we were desperate to get out of where we were and had 2 weeks to find a place and move in. I wont go into details but we were having a very difficult time where we were living that made it near on impossible to stay there.
Eventually we found somewhere that was good, but they did not accept pets. It was the only place we could find in that short amount of time that was nice enough, in the area we needed in our price range.
When we signed the agreement we made the decision to not tell them about our Cats and if they damaged anything, we would replace or repair it before moving. Unfortunately the letting agency feels the need to pop round ever other month to 'inspect' our property, which is a bit of an issue with the cats. I have asked them how long they continue to do the checks as we are clearly reliable, and we have been here 2 years now, but they haven't given a proper answer. They haven't done a check in 3-4 months but one is due any day.
This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have damp issues with the house. Every inspection I have told them about this, there is not heating except for 1 electric fire and no ventilation in the bathroom or kitchen, so condensation is always on the walls and windows regardless of whether we continuously have the windows open (which I point out that we shouldn't have to do in the middle of Winter!) There isn't 1 room that the damp doesn't affect but it is tons worse in the bathroom and bedroom.
I called them up to request permission to paint over the damp/mould with damp proof paint and if I could take the bill off the next rent payment with proof of receipt. Apparently they have to come and check it out AGAIN even though I shown and told them about it LOADS of times. Is this just another reason to come and check up on us? Then the landlord always wants her relatives to come and do the jobs, even though I have offered to do it myself because I don't want strangers in my house for long periods of time (and also because of the pets!!)
I want to tell them about the cats but I'm scared we'll have to move out immediately. We don't have the financial stability to move right now and my partner is dead set on not moving again until we can afford to buy. BUT another part of me is wondering whether it would be the right thing to do as they obviously don't want to sort the damp problem out.
What would you do in my situation?
I know we've done wrong by lying on the tenancy, but we couldn't find anywhere that would accept pets. It's like estate agents don't realise people ACTUALLY have lives. No smoking, no pets, nothing!
Advice would be much appreciated.