Lying about pets on a tenancy agreement.

• Ok, so when we moved a couple of years ago we were desperate to get out of where we were and had 2 weeks to find a place and move in. I wont go into details but we were having a very difficult time where we were living that made it near on impossible to stay there.

Eventually we found somewhere that was good, but they did not accept pets. It was the only place we could find in that short amount of time that was nice enough, in the area we needed in our price range.

When we signed the agreement we made the decision to not tell them about our Cats and if they damaged anything, we would replace or repair it before moving. Unfortunately the letting agency feels the need to pop round ever other month to 'inspect' our property, which is a bit of an issue with the cats. I have asked them how long they continue to do the checks as we are clearly reliable, and we have been here 2 years now, but they haven't given a proper answer. They haven't done a check in 3-4 months but one is due any day.

This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have damp issues with the house. Every inspection I have told them about this, there is not heating except for 1 electric fire and no ventilation in the bathroom or kitchen, so condensation is always on the walls and windows regardless of whether we continuously have the windows open (which I point out that we shouldn't have to do in the middle of Winter!) There isn't 1 room that the damp doesn't affect but it is tons worse in the bathroom and bedroom.

I called them up to request permission to paint over the damp/mould with damp proof paint and if I could take the bill off the next rent payment with proof of receipt. Apparently they have to come and check it out AGAIN even though I shown and told them about it LOADS of times. Is this just another reason to come and check up on us? Then the landlord always wants her relatives to come and do the jobs, even though I have offered to do it myself because I don't want strangers in my house for long periods of time (and also because of the pets!!)

I want to tell them about the cats but I'm scared we'll have to move out immediately. We don't have the financial stability to move right now and my partner is dead set on not moving again until we can afford to buy. BUT another part of me is wondering whether it would be the right thing to do as they obviously don't want to sort the damp problem out.

What would you do in my situation?

I know we've done wrong by lying on the tenancy, but we couldn't find anywhere that would accept pets. It's like estate agents don't realise people ACTUALLY have lives. No smoking, no pets, nothing!

Advice would be much appreciated.

• I have to hide two of my cats every time my landlords come round as they only think i have two and not four so i know how frustrating it can be. I find landlords usually mellow with time when they realise that they`re getting their rent etc but it`s still a gamble to tell them.

If you`re thinking about telling them because you feel bad about lying then i wouldn`t bother because they`re breaking the lease too by not sorting out the damp, so screw em.

• I have four. My dad said I should explain I have a 'couple' and had no choice but to have them due to a relative being unable to cope with them. A white lie, but he said it may work.

It is definitely a gamble telling them but I'll feel 100% better knowing they know.

I was wondering if my contract is still valid as they haven't updated it in a year?

• Concentrate on the damp issue.It isnt good for your long term health!I realise money is tight, but one day you may wish you had got out of there.Public Health dept at council?

• Housing inspectors from the council can force landlords to fix issues like that can't they? I'm sure there was a programme on the telly where that bloke from rogue traders was following housing inspectors and they were dealing with issues just like this.

• Hi there, i feel i may be able to help here. Your contract, as it hasn't been renewed by them in a year means you are on a rolling tenancy, which means it renews itself every 6 months. As they are plainly ignoring the damp situation, you have the right to a/ withhold rent until the issue is resolved by a Professional,( especially as it sounds like you have issues with your damp coursing and windows, and this can massively affect your health.) b/ use your rent to resolve the situation yourself, with a professional of your choosing. Either choice, you have to inform them by letter of your intent , and best to send as recorded delivery Keep a copy.

Keeping EVERY receipt of work, or a bank statement to show withheld money still in the bank is a legal must.

The landlord has to give at least 24 hours notice of intent to enter the property, and this is at your convenience, not theirs, so you can rearrange.

Go to shelter, or your local housing advice bureau, get them to log everything, and they will often help mediate the situation, and look into the legal side of things. These sorts of organisations are always favourable to the tenant if you have paid your rent on time.

they are massively breaching your contract by allowing you to live in substandard conditions, and as the house is not to par, id hazard a guess

• My daughter has just had to move. The landlord knew that she had a dog when she moved in, but refused to renew the tenancy when he found out that her housemate decided she was going to have a dog too. Three of my little van journeys on Tuesday did the job, but despite the stress of it all, I think she has ended up in a nicer place, just ten minutes away from where she was.

• That neither is the contract. Check where your bond is, it needs to be in a government deposit scheme, if its not, they can have to pay you 3x your deposit.

As for your cats, if you wish to tell them, put it in writing that its from a very recent date, you will pay for repairs/ any damage, and will pay to clean the carpets before you leave. Photograph the entire house ( with the time stamp function) keep this mem. Card with your paperwork, this way you cant get pinned for damage that cats haven't done.

they can refuse your request for pets, in which case its back to hiding them, but as they have to give 24 hours notice, gives you time to move them to a friends house while you get work done etc. Hope this helps some, i had a real nasty landlord last year, this is the product of what i learnt :)

• I personally would never lie about my animals to a landlord.
    I understand how hard it is to find somewhere that accepts pets as apart from the last 7 yrs on the boat I have always been private rented but I have always had dogs or cays or both at once and have always found a place to live. I wouldn't do it. If I was evicted because of my dogs then I'm afraid I would go homeless to keep them......not get rid of the dogs to keep the house......Unfortunately the damage is already done and I don't know what to say, is it in your contract no pets? If so you really don't have a leg to stand on and if you're in dispute with the landlord over the damp issue he won't want to do you any favours. In fact he will probably want any excuse to get you out.
    I'd keep schtum and send the cats to a friends if you want to keep your home.
    Sorry.

• This is not quite right. If you have been having a problem that you have been asking for your landlord to deal with for 3 months and they haven't, you CAN NOT withold rent or you will be evicted. What you can do is write to your landlord telling them that if the problem isn't fixed within 28 days, you will be finding your own workmen to do it and deducting it from the rent. Keep a copy of this letter and send it recorded delivery. If it isn't dealt with, you have to get 3 quotes and use the cheapest. Send all 3 quotes to your landlord and get the work done and take the amount paid from the rent

• This was the advice i was given from the housing association, and i did withold the rent, in a separate account. I kept proof that i wasn't spending it, but i wouldn't release the money until the work was completed. I had atrocious damp problems though, and it turned out that the housing agent was dodgy, and had been running an insurance sscam on the house. We found out that the house had been flooded before we moved in, the neighbours told us. As we where moving out, we gave them a months notice, and when we went to remove the last of our furniture, we found that they had ripped a big hole in kitchen ceiling and had pulled out the copper piping and flooded the house again. All our furniture had been ruined, and luckily, as we had photographed the house throughout the tenancy, and the state of the house with damp, mold etc when we left, we had proof when they threatened to take us to court. It turned out, they had run this scam at least three times on that property, hence why the damp problems where so bad, the house was severely waterlogged. We found out that the neighbours have since tried to sue the letting agent for damage caused to their house as a result of the repeated flooding, but the agent has literally disappeared into thin air. Some landlords are proper dodgy, so my advice on photographing everything, record every interaction/ copy every letter, keep everything in a file, is the main advice. They will try and screw you over, and pin it on you.

• This was the advice i was given from the housing association, and i did withold the rent, in a separate account. I kept proof that i wasn't spending it, but i wouldn't release the money until the work was completed. I had atrocious damp problems though, and it turned out that the housing agent was dodgy, and had been running an insurance sscam on the house. We found out that the house had been flooded before we moved in, the neighbours told us. As we where moving out, we gave them a months notice, and when we went to remove the last of our furniture, we found that they had ripped a big hole in kitchen ceiling and had pulled out the copper piping and flooded the house again. All our furniture had been ruined, and luckily, as we had photographed the house throughout the tenancy, and the state of the house with damp, mold etc when we left, we had proof when they threatened to take us to court. It turned out, they had run this scam at least three times on that property, hence why the damp problems where so bad, the house was severely waterlogged. We found out that the neighbours have since tried to sue the letting agent for damage caused to their house as a result of the repeated flooding, but the agent has literally disappeared into thin air. Some landlords are proper dodgy, so my advice on photographing everything, record every interaction/ copy every letter, keep everything in a file, is the main advice. They will try and screw you over, and pin it on you.

Hang on hang on hang on - insurance scam, and/or tying to keep your deposit? Jeez.

I have two cats and didn't ask permission but they aren't often in the main body of the house, they both need neutering first, one sprayed when he was in the lounge. Landlord met them and said it was fine as long as they didn't grow in number. Landlord is a c*nt, as most are, even his staff say so. My house is falling apart. But it beats the council estate where I got shot at last year. Fuck no.