My Citroen C 15 "Nano-Camper" Conversion Progress WITH PICTURES!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• You sound like a few mechanics ive met, also i think door catch is the technical name. Its what haynes call them so ur almost qualified

Well with the rate that my ol' banger is going, I might need that mechanic qualification soon!

• Good work with the door! I once opened the door on a classic Kit car I used to own on a very windy hill and the door ripped right off its hinges :s haha. I had to drive home one handed with the other hand holding the door where it should be. Fun times!

• A few little updates for you today, guys and gals...

:)

1. A place for my alarm clock...

Most people use their mobile phones for alarm clocks nowadays but I find that with minimal power in the van, sometimes I can't rely on my last little scrap of phone battery to survive the night and wake me in the morning. So today I got myself a tiny battery alarm clock and figured out a place for it.

I didn't want it loose on a surface because it would go flying whenever I drove anywhere. After trying out different places - on the wall with velcro, on non-slip mat on the desk, on one of the metal ridges around the side of the van walls - I decided it would be best at the foot of my bed on top of the main light (it's connected to the main battery so I only use it for emergencies when I need really bright lights). I took a little bit of non-slip mat and stuck it to the top of the light with carpet adhesive (not taking any risks ;) ) and once it had dried, the alarm clock got put in its new home nicely on top.

Simple job, but an important one all the same.

DSCF0094.JPG

DSCF0095.JPG

2. Tidying up some loose fabric on the walls...

I've been living in my van for a few months now and in places the fabric has started to come a little bit loose and some bubbles have emerged in the middle of walls and whatnot. I decided to tidy some of those little bits up today. I gently pulled down the problem areas and then re-stuck the fabric with carpet adhesive.

It gave me an opportunity to check for any condensation mischief as well, and I'm happy to report that there was none!

DSCF0090.JPG

DSCF0093.JPG

3. Something to hold my camping stove case in place...

Since I bought my camping stove, it hasn't really had a place to live in the van. It's too tall for the cabinets and it takes up an unjustifiable amount of room under the bed. Because of that, it's just been sat under the table against the cabinet. Today I decided to make its new found home a little more secure.

Again, another really simple job but an important one because I don't want the stove damaging in transit. I've been keeping it in place with a spare battery but that thing was getting in the way and it looks ugly so it had to go.

DSCF0096.JPG

I quite fancied leaving the stove case in the same place, so all I did to fix it there was add two little brass hooks to the cabinet and get a piece of green gardening string to hold it in place during transit. Found all the bits I needed within a few minutes, and had the holes drilled and the hooks installed in thirty seconds. Easy peasy job, and an effective one at that! :)

DSCF0098.JPG

• As you've got the hooks fitted, maybe a small bungy to hold the case would be easier than string?

Looking good!

Yeah it probably would be easier. If I come across some on my travels (... travels around B&Q) I'll get some of that instead. The string keeps it nice and secure though so that's good :)

• For numerous and various reasons, I left some of the metal exposed when I put the fabric on the walls of the van. Today, I thought I would finally tidy that up and make it look nice and neat. At least, that was the plan...

First task was to measure up the exposed metal and the other sections that I wanted covering. I was going to be cutting the fabric to size in my mum's house, so I made a list whilst I was in the van so I didn't forget anything.

Once all the pieces were cut to size, I ironed them to get rid of all the creases and then I stuck them all in place with carpet adhesive.

Today I was suffering from a bad case of Can't-Be-Arsed Syndrome... so unfortunately it wasn't as neat a job as it should have been. Lesson learnt!

Hmm.. website says I've exceeded my quota. Until I figure out another way, here are the pictures:
    http://livingevensmaller.blogs…remaining-bare-metal.html

• Oh and of course I managed to get carpet adhesive all over my hands so once I'd finished, I had to go find a proper girl and get nail varnish remover to get it off. Killed all my white spirit in the Great 'Burn All My Crap' Fire of January '15.

• just added two driving light strips , in my c15 there dead low voltage just soldered them onto interior light wires , remove the old bulb and you got a switch on them, they are super bright and take little power and they so small just sticky backs, on ebay pair for a fiver also a good thing is a plug in digital volt meter these from china bit of await but only a couple of quid , really handy for keeping a check on battery level just plugs in cig lighter , i leave mine in all the time its quite funny how much you watch it.

• Oh and of course I managed to get carpet adhesive all over my hands so once I'd finished, I had to go find a proper girl and get nail varnish remover to get it off.

I spent about 20 minutes the other night scrubbing my hands with white spirit after getting them covered in underbody seal :S not a fun experience, and my hands smelt like an oil lamp for quite a while afterwards :)

• I spent about 20 minutes the other night scrubbing my hands with white spirit after getting them covered in underbody seal :S not a fun experience, and my hands smelt like an oil lamp for quite a while afterwards :)

Add some sugar, speeds the whole cleaning hands thing up no end.

For that I use white spirit and washing up liquid mix, with sugar mixed in to add some abrasiveness. Much better than just white spirit.

• I'm just loving this thread! I also checked out the 'living small' link.

I bought a solar powered PIR from B&M discount stores (they have outlets across the country). It's a really good unit, powered by a small soalr panel about three inches square. The light unit itself has twn LEDs in it. The power those generate are more than enough to light the inside of a small camper. You can set it to off, on & PIR detection. It won't draw any power from the vehicle & charge itself up during the day. I'm not sure how long it would operate but I guess two to three hours when on all the time.

Oh, almost forget it was £10!

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• I'm just loving this thread! I also checked out the 'living small' link.

I bought a solar powered PIR from B&M discount stores (they have outlets across the country). It's a really good unit, powered by a small soalr panel about three inches square. The light unit itself has ten LEDs in it. The power those generate are more than enough to light the inside of a small camper. You can set it to off, on & PIR detection. It won't draw any power from the vehicle & charge itself up during the day. I'm not sure how long it would operate but I guess two to three hours when on all the time.

Oh, almost forget it was £10!

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• My theory about MOT day is that it's a test... to see if your vehicle likes you or not.

It's the one day of the year that the vehicle gets a chance to stick its non-existent middle finger up at its owner, so if it didn't do it then you must be doing ok :)