knitting scarfs etc

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Who makes there own scarfs etc? Looking at doing one for myself and as christmas presents for this year, i was guessing a scarf is a good easy one for a newcomer? Always somthing ive fancied having a go at, i bet its pretty satisfying when you got the final product.

• To be honest it is something I've been thinking of doing for years too, but just haven't got round to doing it. A scarf seems straightforward, but if you are knitting for children, maybe something like a little woollen bag might be appreciated?

I found this book explains things quite nicely, although FWF would be more than happy to help me. It was because I expressed an interest that he got his needles out after about twenty years and started knitting like a possessed man! I bought the book before I realised just how good he was.

• Do you know the basics of knitting darrrren? Casting on/off, knit, purl? That's really all you need to know, and there are loads of tutorials online. Then all you need is your needles and yarn. Chunky yarn and big needles will make for a nice quick project :)

• No beachcomber ive never tried it at all, ive ordered some wool and needles, then ill look into the basics of its, so using those few techniques you pointed out that'll get me on my way? Quick projects sound good, i can be quite impatient haha.

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Post by Fire-Tree ().

• As a beginner, who has never managed to finish a scarf, my advice is to keep count!

If you're not careful, you'll end up with 20 stiches on the first row, 19 on the next.....

Haha, my mum could never work out how I would steadily increase the number of stitches on every row. I used toaccidentally split stitches and knit them twice!

Bamboo or wooden needles are great. They're less slippy than metal ones so it's easier to not accidentally drop stitches by sliding them off the end.

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• So i gave this a go yesterday, with plastic needles, and some normal wool, damn i was going for 2 hours solid, i learnt casting on, and then "the knit stitch", i wasnt sure weather to learn pearl or knit so i went for knit. I did cast on to many stitches so my work was twisting when i started actually stitching but if you pull it out you can see the pattern. I just ordered some chunky wool so ill start again on the weekend and hopefully get going a bit better. I still want to make somthing easy i can use though but im unsure. And it knit stitch fine for now or do i need the pearl?

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

• I love it when guys knit. There are a couple in my crochet and knitting club, both are gay. If either of them had been hetro they would have had a long queue of ladies interested! We all wish we had a man who knitted or crocheted :) Its very popular