Cool Box or Fridge ?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• My van is a 1997 Transit, 5.4mtrs long, so there's not alot of room. I bought a 28Ltr coolbox thru amazon last year which was rubbish and burnt out on the second outing. I've used it for a weekend by stuffing in several of the old ice packs, but after 36hrs, of course, they are useless. Now I'd like to go travelling, and stay away from home for 2 weeks at a time, so I need something to keep my food cool. I'm a great raw food eater, enjoying mixed salads, plus I love fish, good bread, and an occasional bottled ale, but as a single guy I don't need anything huge, that 28L seemed ideal.

So, what to buy ?

Maybe someone can advise me the best thing to buy, please.

• If you get another coolbox replace the standard blower with two 12 fans from a computer power supply, they pull much less power, are quieter, and far more reliable.

• Do you need a fridge at all?
    Could you go without?
    What would you keep in the fridge?
    Can you buy fresh food every couple days/daily?
    Could you just chill your food in a bucket of water in the shade?

• Am converting a van using a caravan for interior bits. It has a 3 way fridge which probably works, but I won't be using it as it's heavy, and for its external size doesn't have all that much room inside. I've also been told that they will flatten a leisure battery in no time, most holiday campers only run it on the way to their destination when the battery can be kept charged by the vehicle engine, and plug it in to the mains hook up when there.

So it's a cool box for me.

• Do you need a fridge at all? I need something
    Could you go without? I'd rather not - I've experienced food poisoning .. tisnt nice
    What would you keep in the fridge? the things I said I enjoy
    Can you buy fresh food every couple days/daily? I could, but that would be annoying having to find a shop so frequently, plus, I want the convenience of storing something Ive cooked or prepared and eating it the following day, some stuff is better for being 24hrs old...
    Could you just chill your food in a bucket of water in the shade? nooooooo ....

• This cool box.

Although I have never owned one the person who bought this is over the moon about it.

It is a Coleman Extreme 50qt, apparently you put a few bottles of frozen water in the bottom and it keeps cool for 5 days, I think they are around the £100 mark.

• Do you need a fridge at all? I need something
    Could you go without? I'd rather not - I've experienced food poisoning .. tisnt nice
    What would you keep in the fridge? the things I said I enjoy
    Can you buy fresh food every couple days/daily? I could, but that would be annoying having to find a shop so frequently, plus, I want the convenience of storing something Ive cooked or prepared and eating it the following day, some stuff is better for being 24hrs old...
    Could you just chill your food in a bucket of water in the shade? nooooooo ....

The reason why I asked was to make you think about what food you actually eat and does it really need refrigeration. Mankind has coped for thousands of years without it after all. Like all different type of preserved foods, cooking enough so there is not leftovers.

Yes I know many foods taste better the next day, in all honesty I can have a stew in the pot for 3 days at room temp, never had food poisoning from it as long as it's thoroughly heated through.

I don't keep any fruits, veg, salad in a fridge, usually on the seat in the cab or foot well lol. UHT milk keep well without. Bread, not in fridge of course and neither beer. Fish I have fresh and cooked the same day. And with winter coming up, it's easier still.

But I understand the need, was just thinking of your space and whether it was really necessary. Look into some of the 3 way fridges that are fitted into small campers like VW but they do cost a fair bit. Unless you can find a second hand one. http://www.obrienscamping.co.uk/camping_fridges/RM123.htm

• question.... i have a 3 way fridge it has a radiator type thingy on the back ( which gets hot when working ) .... is it a compressor fridge?

No. As it is a 3 way, it'll be anAbsorption fridge. "Domestic" fridges use a compressor to move the coolant around the pipes and the gubbins work in a different manner.