Invite me onto your NarrowBoat -I'll Pay

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm considering selling my house to move on to a narrowboat but have never been on one. Is there someone out there living on a boat who would like some extra dosh by inviting me to stay for a week ?

I'm retired, 66, non-smoker, non-meat-eater, single, clean shaven, average decent person etc. free to travel.

I live in Somerset and will consider travelling anywhere in the uk.

• For your first time on a canal boat I'd definitely recommend a hire boat out of season, but you're probably better off hiring with another person coz locks need two sets of hands. At least!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

but you're probably better off hiring with another person coz locks need two sets of hands. At least!

i disagree ... i used to work the locks singlehanded all the time.. ( only had a 30ft springer mind )... it just takes longer. there's normally people about to help especially if your lock sharing .. passers by are always more than willing to help ( it gives them a sense of enormous well being)...:eek:

• Hmmm ... thanks for all your comments ... I was hoping to get one to one advice, practical experience, and insight from someone experienced and honest ...you're right of course I can hire a boat on my own, but why start off making loads of unecessary mistakes when I needn't ...

• Hi ThatManViv, if you decide to hire a narrowboat, I'd be up for sharing the cost for one night, maybe two. I'm in a similar situation to you, and I want to see how boat living suits me, and also whether I can handle the physical space of a narrowboat or if I should aim for something a bit wider. (not too bothered about learning the handling as I'm probably going to be on a static boat)

Edit- posted around the same time as you- I guess that our needs are not going to coincide!

• applecore..... if your gonna be static then don't even consider a narrow boat ... get your-self an old fishing boat or any wooden boat and convert it ... don't worry if it leaks ( that's what bilge pumps were invented for ).. don't worry about the engine get it towed to your preferred marina..go for width rather than length ( you pay for length not width at the marina ).. 30ft with a 11ft beam ( width ) would be loads for a single person.... especially on the south coast where mooring is extortionate !!!!.. try to find a 'mud' mooring.. these are generally cheaper cus the tide comes in twice a day so you only float twice a day therefore you only have to worry about leaks twice a day:S ... i have lots of experience with living on boats canals and sea.. it is awesome ...the sense of tranquility is overwhelming and i recommend it totally...( if the current wife wasn't so adverse to water i would be there now ):insane:

• Thanks for all the advice crazytim, that's put a lot of my thoughts in order!

edit- if you don't mind, could I pm you to ask your opinion on a couple of boats? I'm in no hurry, as I can't view them for another ten days. I don't mind if you'd rather not; the idea just popped into my mind as you seem to know your stuff!

• I wouldn't hire one.. It's so expensive and the boats are not kitted out for living aboard full time.. I would speak to people about the pros and cons of their boats and what hints and tips you can get. There are lots of things to consider.. That's what I did when I was buying my boat..

• You can singlehand - at least I do, but you need to know your limits and to respect the boat, the water and the canal infrastructure. I've had a couple of hairy moments when I was pushing myself, a split second of not paying attention nearly ended in a trip to casualty or worse. The best advice is not to rush, slow down to "canal time".

ThatManViv: I live on my boat down in the deep south GU. What questions do you have?

• Hi if you get a wider beam, check out cruising limits, unless of course your static!we re wide beam and cant get ofc our river onto the canal, as the arm off our river was built for trade barges years ago.wide beam will give you loads more space, especially if funds are tight, as you get more usable area in a shorter length, cheaper leicence!also when/if you decide its for you, sort a mooring 1st, there hard to come by and can be v.expensive.unless you re going to be continuous cruising, then checkout, local restrictions laws etc, as most have a limit on how long you can stop in one area and mooring spot.good luck, its a great life. X

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • My mum once got seasick at the dining room table....

My mum has a thing about her plate being moved at the dining table. If she goes out of the room and someone turns it the slightest bit she comes back in and can't sit down cos she claims it makes her feel sea sick........ mums are strange...

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • I've baby-sat a couple of barges on the Avon and Kennet , absolutely loved it! But that was in the summer, and only for a week or so at a time. The more I looked into living on one full-time, the more pricey it got.