Sounds to good to be true!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• brilliant. absolutely brilliant. what a shame the guy has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. I really feel for him.
    This is an absolute little gem of a find. are you going for it Ma Bungo?

• brilliant. absolutely brilliant. what a shame the guy has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. I really feel for him.
    This is an absolute little gem of a find. are you going for it Ma Bungo?

It's a lovely opportunity for the right person . I am lucky enough to live on a beautiful small holding already , otherwise I would have kept it secret and gone for it like a rat up a drainpipe :)

• Good luck to whomever. I did some work in a school near there a few years ago. It's an interesting area, being one of the few parts of the world that managed to get enough people power to see off a Macdonalds proposal. The school was in Millau and I was there just before and just after the viaduct opened. I'm not usually impressed by man-made structures, but I make an exception for that. I found it quite beautiful although it straddled the Tarn valley and was visible from miles away. Also while I was there the school had a carnival parade through the housing estate carrying a monster they had spent weeks making out of combustible materials with a local artist. When they got it back to school they set fire to it in the playground. Aman, if you get the gig you'd better watch out for any residual local wicker man tendencies ... but do enjoy the Roquefort in the meantime.

• Anyone else out there interested in getting together to run it as a community project? Sounds like there would be enough land for a couple of yurts or caravans while the renovations take place. We could have crops planted by the spring!

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Good luck to whomever. I did some work in a school near there a few years ago. It's an interesting area, being one of the few parts of the world that managed to get enough people power to see off a Macdonalds proposal. The school was in Millau and I was there just before and just after the viaduct opened. I'm not usually impressed by man-made structures, but I make an exception for that. I found it quite beautiful although it straddled the Tarn valley and was visible from miles away. Also while I was there the school had a carnival parade through the housing estate carrying a monster they had spent weeks making out of combustible materials with a local artist. When they got it back to school they set fire to it in the playground. Aman, if you get the gig you'd better watch out for any residual local wicker man tendencies ... but do enjoy the Roquefort in the meantime.

I know this is late but I just noticed your post on this subject Marshlander. I've been in that area too and I love it's rebellious people. As you said, they quite literally 'saw off' McDonalds, demolishing the building and using their tractors to dump the rubble outside the Town Hall!!!! Unfortunately that was only temporary as McD's is back there. You've probably heard of Jose Bove who was instrumental in the demolition of McDonalds and who, amongst other things, set up the 'Confederation Paysanne' (literally 'The Confederation of Peasants'). Some man! Over the years it used to be possible to buy a little plot up in the hills and live there quietly (and illegally) on your own land. I met some people who did that, and they used to drive to various farmers markets in their converted vans and horse-lorries to sell their vegetables etc. Unfortunately, the authorities have been clearing people who are living on their own land without planning permission, and using force to do it. The cops were even photographing people at the farmers market. A shame really, because these were peaceful, creative people who just wanted to live a simple life.

- - - Updated - - -

• I know this is late but I just noticed your post on this subject Marshlander. I've been in that area too and I love it's rebellious people. As you said, they quite literally 'saw off' McDonalds, demolishing the building and using their tractors to dump the rubble outside the Town Hall!!!! Unfortunately that was only temporary as McD's is back there. You've probably heard of Jose Bove who was instrumental in the demolition of McDonalds and who, amongst other things, set up the 'Confederation Paysanne' (literally 'The Confederation of Peasants'). Some man! Over the years it used to be possible to buy a little plot up in the hills and live there quietly (and illegally) on your own land. I met some people who did that, and they used to drive to various farmers markets in their converted vans and horse-lorries to sell their vegetables etc. Unfortunately, the authorities have been clearing people who are living on their own land without planning permission, and using force to do it. The cops were even photographing people at the farmers market. A shame really, because these were peaceful, creative people who just wanted to live a simple life.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the update BM. You have more details than those I understood from my contacts there. I'm sorry to hear about the suppression of local expression. Sadly it may have been inevitable ... but I can't see the spirit being crushed altogether. Still something of the Knights Templar in the air?

• I am over the moon but there is a lot to deal with legally.

I am going to be liable for all the legal fees and taxes etc. It will still mean we will end up with a very cheap property but I am just hoping we will be able to afford it. It would be a shame to have this fantastic opportunity only to find out we cannot afford the legal fees.

Time will tell

Paul

• Well. It looks like I was successful in winning the French Farmhouse. There is a lot to sort out on the legal side of things. But I will keep you posted.

Paul

OMG just seen this congratulations Aman - it couldnt have gone to a better bloke CHUFFED TO bits for you i really am
    If you ever need any help you can find me on here, i do
    Art
    Psychic readings,
    play the recorder and sax
    on a more practicle level
    i do green wood working ( not brilliant) but getting there and....
    I also am quite skilled at building structures with Cob mud earth straw horse hair sand and water.
    Once again really chuffed for you
    xxx

• If you cant afford the legal fees then approach kickstarter crowdfunding - infact get funding now for things you are going to need. Post it here I WILL BACK YOU

• I have no idea how to go about crowdfunding etc. Why would people give me money for me to have a free piece of land?

Maybe I could design a t-shirt and sell those to raise the cash. The solicitor said to budget around £5000 the legal fees and taxes.

Next time I am up that way I will invite Ma Bungo out for a slap up meal with lashing of ginger beer.

I play sax as well. i am playing one in my avatar.

I will need people to come down and help with building work so you would be more than welcome to come down and stay.

Paul