Anyone know any nomad/traveller etc. documentaries?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Me again!

Does anyone know any documentaries, TV shows or films about nomads, travellers, hippies, eco living etc etc? I've watched "American Nomads" before and quite liked it once it got going but I don't think I know of any others.

Any recommendations welcome! :) thanks in advance

Raff ☮

• There are plenty to be found, simply google "New Age Travellers" or "Battle of the Beanfield" (sic) and follow the links to find such gems as "The Golden Age of Coach Travel" etc but beware : this becomes highly addictive....... We have a lot to thank Traveller Dave for ! Keep on truckin, Toby.

• I'd say "Operation Solstice" is fairly essential watching. Should be on you tube, along with "Outsiders".

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• That's a very interesting watch, ma, thank you for the link.
    I daren't comment as I don't know quite how it would be taken, it's a few years before my time.
    but yeah, interesting, shocking, disappointing, ....... The new age lot (and i was travelling under that monika) really didn't help ourselves much, did we?

• We travelled with the Convoy on and off from 79 till 84 , when we got trashed at Nostell Priory, after that we parked up with Romanies, the Irish or by our selves , too much hassle with hippies. By the year 2000 it got too much hassle full stop so bought house and land .

Happy days most of the time ,but when it went nasty , boy oh boy !!! Now on antidepressants for PTSD from 'the good old days '

• Hi RAalfi .
    Try the " Last Trapper" on You Tube. I found it just by accident and now is one of my most watched documentaries.
    It is dubbed , didn"t bother me. Just a beautiful true Story !!

• Wow, amazing documentaries, especially the second one, thank you ma bungo for posting them. Its an incredible social history of travellers from the hippies of the 60s and 70s, the change in the 1980s and the rave culture of the 90s. The documentary also explains really well the progression of state powers from miners strike to Criminal Justice Act, which are chilling. Latest developments, remember, people can now be imprisoned now for letting their children have an authorised day off school!

It was also somewhat sad to realise the change in outlook where people wanted community and wanted to co-operate and share - to the current individualistic obsessions with new cars and the latest computer technology etc. I didn't realise how much we had lost.

Interestingly, I was reading about Scottish independence the other day, and one commentator said one of the main reasons the Scots want to leave the UK is because of the way things are, they don't want to be hitched to the tortured and traumatised people of England - they want light, civilisation and social democracy! I understood what he meant.

But also found it inspiring in a way, especially all the leaders and commentators from the New Age movement. I wonder where all these people are now (I know a few of them are on here of course). People at the receiving end of this kind of oppression unfortunately now experience it much more individually. So its a great reminder that we could maybe find a way to do respond politically. One thing that really struck me from the second film is how people are incredibly creative. I wonder what will transpire?

• I've been tripping from sipping the dripping dirty water tap,
    i've been thinking i'm drinking too many drinks all by myself.
    I've been poking a voodoo doll that you do not know I made, for you, of you.

• These are fantastic! Thanks so much!

This one is also good.Tiny: A Story about Living Small - http://tiny-themovie.com/

If you have a US Netflix account then you can access it there. Not sure where else it is for free or on subscription but it's definitely worth a watch!!