Oh God, I've made a huge mistake

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• My family bought me dog for my 21st birthday at a particularly difficult time in my life. I mean it was a really, really bad time. I was lonely, just crawling out of an abusive relationship, I'd lost touch with all my friends and attempted suicide. I managed to lose my job in the middle of all of this.

Before getting the dog, my mother and I discussed how I would be able to care for it financially. I knew I could afford to feed him and care for him generally and I also knew that if the time came where he ever needed to see a vet that the bills could be very high. I wrongly assumed everything would be okay, and I'd be able to pay my vet bill as I pay all other bills; with a reasonable and affordable payment plan.

Of course, this was my first pet. I didn't really know anything about pet insurances and considered them unaffordable. Now five years on the time for a massive vet bill has came out of nowhere. My dog had a terrible accident and dislocated his hip. Initially the vets tried to simply put it back in place but it's not worked out so he's going to need surgery. And now I've found out that my assumptions that I'd be able to pay a vet bill over a certain period of time were terribly wrong.

The vet I'm dealing with has said I am not eligible for a payment plan once he's had surgery. :( They handed me a form for a loan which I'm not eligible for and mentioned charities like PDSA and RSPCA. I feel so terrible about this. I am the sort of person who donates to charities. I don't want to take charity, but I'm feeling the pressure here. I ended up setting up a gofundme account, which I'm highly embarrassed about.

Are there any other low income families out there who have also struggled with paying animal care? What did you do? I feel like clear information about what to expect from the vets was never out there, but also that I was incredibly foolish to assume they had the compassion and patience one would expect from an animal hospital. Is it really a good idea to have pets when you're not loaded?

• As an ex animal person {Dog and Cats } you can expect or have to make financial provisions {if possible } to expect your Dog to cost about £3000 in its Life time ,for Vets Bills if needed .

Maybe more if the Animal needs ongoing therapy .

Hope things work out well for you .

• Don't feel so bad darling, shit happens.
    Firstly, I am glad you have your dog. Secondly, vets are money grabbing fucker in my experience.
    Has your dog had the treatment, I guess not, vets font normally do account for small animal stuff.
    Are you working?
    There is a thing called PDSA, it's a charity for animals and has vets nationwide and they deal with people who cannot afford the vet care they need.
    It will all depend on your circumstances but please please, Google it and look into it.
    It won't be free but it will be considerably lower cost.
    And the only mistake you've made is not having insurance, which is something you will no doubt change straight away, it's only a few quid a month.
    Don't panic, you are being a good human to your dog xxx

• To be eligible for PDSA treatment you need to prove that you are in receipt of housing benefit and you also must be in their catchment area. There`s a clinic in Birmingham, think one in Bristol too but you`d have to check whether they cover your address. Blue cross are another charity that may be able to help. Don`t feel bad about letting these charities help that`s what they`re set up for and the most important thing is that he gets his leg sorted quickly. Good luck with it all.

• PDSA don't cover my area. Looked into that this morning but I thought I'd call the RSPCA on Monday. In spite of the large bill I'm about to have, I've signed up for pet insurance.
    :wall:

I'm going to be so poor!

He's had treatment twice to try and get his hip back in place, and now pending surgery.

I expected I might have a large vet bill one day, as I said, but I thought I'd be allowed a payment plan if I wasn't better off for money. I just assumed they'd make allowances for the fact you don't have a lot of money coming in because everybody else I've ever dealt with certainly did!

Gofundme is like setting up your own personal charity. Lots of people have been using it to help cover costs for all sorts of things. Quite amazingly I've read in the news that one person raised thousands with their joke fundraiser "Help me bake a cake" or something ridiculous.

My master plan is to try and pay this initial bill of £280.00 ASAP, and then discuss a payment plan for the surgery again. I thought if I can show I am a reliable customer, they will be willing to let me pay in instalments and then I wont need to seek the help of charity.

• I wish you luck my lovely, I have a 1200 vet bill hanging over me at the moment accruing 3% interest and I can't pay it, but as it's an equine/large animal account they treat and then charge so my horse is better now, it's not the same for small animal practise. (Sp)

Good luck hun xxx

• 27 Months ago to the day tomorrow ,my Dog a German Shepherd was put to sleep .
    I had had her from 8 weeks old .
    She was my mate ,
    Come every were in my Van , i had to lift her into the Van as she could barely walk .
    She had to crawl up the stairs to my bedroom at nite ,and be steadied down by me in the mornings .
    Her health was slowly deteriating , i watched this daily .
    Every day when i went shopping and she was in the Van i used to go back to the car park and check on her every half hour .
    To make sure she hadnt had another fit ,and been on her own thru the experiance .
    I was always there for her ,she was my mate ,and thats the deal .

I couldnt afford to take her to the Vets in Hastings ,{though i have to add that my Dog was 14yrs and 3 weeks when she passed over , Called a Vet to put her to sleep peacefully in my house ,after a massive fit , she went blind and couldnt stand up .

I repeatadly foned Vets up in the Hastings area to see if i quilified for a reduced rate in payments iff treatment was possible ,i didnt .

I foned the RSPCA for help , they wouldnt .
    The PDSA said i had to register with a Vet for 6 months first .
    My Dog wasnt going to last that long .

One day after my Dog died , i was leaving Asda in Hastings {Battle Road } and 2 lads in there 20s were collecting for the PDSA , I told them my story ,then told them to piss- off .
    My Dog still sleeps in my bedroom .
    Only not as things were .

I will give to Animal Charities , but in my time and my place .

P.S.
    Groove , do you remember that , you sent me a post at the time :)

• Solo,so sorry.xxx
    If it was one of my dogs I couldn't have had them treated without payment but with equine you have an account so the horse is treated then you ate billed. Leti had 8 wks of treatment in climbing 5 call outs and due to her being on loan to me and out of contract when the injury happened she was not insured any more, the 3% is standard for the vet, I can't really argue it and have to accept that I will be paying a couple of hundred a month off for a while yet.

• Solo,so sorry.xxx
    If it was one of my dogs I couldn't have had them treated without payment but with equine you have an account so the horse is treated then you ate billed. Leti had 8 wks of treatment in climbing 5 call outs and due to her being on loan to me and out of contract when the injury happened she was not insured any more, the 3% is standard for the vet, I can't really argue it and have to accept that I will be paying a couple of hundred a month off for a while yet.

You and a few others on here were the only people i had any contact with when i lived in Hastings .
    A different mindset of people down there than what im used to back home , {though some back home can be worth a miss .}

But no probs , i valued what you all said in my Forum at the time .
    At least you all took some interest in my Dog
    Best wishes to you all . x

• They really get under our skin don't they? I know I couldn't live without one. I lost 2 in under a month, then a few months later I got another who then got ill & went into intensive care, she survived but I spent every penny I had on them & had to get loans from family. The final bill came to over £5000, a couple of weeks later I went in to have 3 nails clipped & they charged me £20 heartless leeches.

• They really get under our skin don't they? I know I couldn't live without one. I lost 2 in under a month, then a few months later I got another who then got ill & went into intensive care, she survived but I spent every penny I had on them & had to get loans from family. The final bill came to over £5000, a couple of weeks later I went in to have 3 nails clipped & they charged me £20 heartless leeches.

Im just nodding my head here .
    Speechless on how heartless some of these people are .

Fuck the Bastards and be kind to the people on this sometimes rocky path we travel .

• I had this crazy idea that people become vets because they're kind, considerate, they love animals and will do whatever they can to help, including support low income families. Maybe that's how it starts but I guess they all become money driven fiends!

My bill for trying to relocate a dislocated hip and some painkillers was £190. initially. When I think of the cost of painkillers for a human, it seems kind of crazy.

I am sorry to those of you who have lost your dogs. :( I hope I didn't upset anybody.

• 4 years on & it still hurts at times but no you didn't.

I think people initially become vets for compassionate reasons but get hardened to it over the years of having to make hard decisions based on economic realities & often unfeeling owners. I have known vets that have rehomed dogs that the owners wanted put down though apparently there can be legal complications involved. It's bloody awful that we value animals so lightly that an "owner" can decide to have a healthy animal terminated.

• I have heard people saying in the reality world that some people shouldnt have Animals if they cant afford to keep them .

Well what a very blinkered comment to make .
    Some people who get an Animal at the time have got the finances and only have the Animals interest at heart . but unfortunately nothing these days is guaranteed for the owner thru the Animals Life .
    So what do they want the owner to do , ???

• Very few people do their jobs for altruistic reasons nowadays. It's nearly always to earn the maximum amount of money.
    Sadly we are all (or most of us) to some degree polluted by 'The Market Economy', 'The Free Market' or greed and selfishness.... :(

' When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place '

• In the 80s there was a report put out in the media that the North East of England
    {Newcastle on Tyne } had the highest animal crualty rate in the U.K .

The people up there had all lost there jobs due to Thatcher , even the Kids in schools were reported to have Rickets , the people couldnt even feed themselves .
    And they were accused of not feeding there Dogs .

• I feel completely powerless. I'm not sure I can even help my own dog but I want to help all of the animals. And yet you can see in this thread that we can donate to animal charities and then have those charities turn around and say they're not going to help your pet. Where is the money even going? How can they justify ever saying no? There must be something that they could've done. I know the most famous charities are never short of donations.

I'm quite miffed that I've tried to call PDSA and RSPCA this weekend and they're both CLOSED till working days. I'm probably asking for too much now, but they should be available to answer calls on the weekend.

• Vets are not 'MONEY GRABBING FUCKERS'

My son is an equine vet, he trained for 5 years, he graduated 2 years ago, he works from 8am to 6pm mon to fri, plus
    he is on call once or twice a week(6pm - 8am), or on call over the weekend (fri 6pm mon 8am), plus any
    spare time he has is spent studying for an equine surgery cert (which he does not get paid for).

Vets work very hard, the fee you pay is not just for the vet's time, but for the equipment, meds, surgery etc.
    Pound for pound a vet is far cheaper than the equivalent nhs - for us humans.

We should all be grateful that people like my son are dedicated to their work for the care of our animals, training
    for a vet doesn't just start with going to university at 18years old, my son was 11 years old, when he started to
    spend every sat morning and school holidays going to the local vet practice, to gain work experience, to show
    vet schools he was serious about being a vet - if you do not get the work experience you will not get a place
    at vet school. Liverpool vet school 15,000 applications for 150 vet school places.

So Groove, perhaps next time you will not be so quick to call vets -

'MONEY GRABBING FUCKER'

• I wouldn't worry about using a charity when in need.. When you have money, you can donate back to them.

just to check though, my cats insurance won't cover for conditions they already have before they were insured.. They cover new illness though.

i was so sorry to hear Solo about your dog xx

• My dog did the same. Had his hip put back several time unsuccessfully. In the end they operated and removed the ball part of the joint. 6 years on and he is still absolutely fine. I think in all it cost about £1000. I have recently had vet bills of £1000 (not insured) and £7000 (only £5000 insured) on horses. My vet is very good about installments. Probably because I give them so much money! Good luck getting money out of the RSPCA, they are generally unhelpful with such things. There are vets who will take payments. You need to call around to find them. I hope the dog gets sorted.