The Bucket Challenge

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Is it me being a Killjoy, or is this Bucket Challenge fad a complete waste of water and ice?

If you have two weeks of hot weather in England, you soon have council's telling you that a hose pipe ban is imminent; and you have to cut back on watering the lawn, having a bath, cleaning your car etc.

Yet it's fair game to chuck lovely clean drinkable buckets of water over someone's head for a couple of quid. To make matters worse some people aren't even doing it for charity.

Surely just giving the money to charity without all the water wasted makes much more sense?

There are children in Africa walking for miles to the nearest dried up riverbed trying to salvage a few cups of water.

It all just seems plain wrong to me!

• Well looking at it in that light i think you have a valid point .:thumbup:

P.S. Nearly forgot ,
    The Mass Media normally do as there told .
    Thats why the minority of us have a never ending battle thru life .

Does anything in life realy matter as long as the Kettles still working .

The post was edited 1 time, last by solo1 ().

• I think it's all a bit muppety really.

Yeah I know there are people in the world without access to clean water, and this is important - but the water shortages in the UK seem to more about management and logistics than the actual amount of water we have ... I mean, we're surrounded by sea and have rivers everywhere and we should always be grateful for that!

I haven't been challenged, but if I were I'd potentially pull some water from the Thames - safe in the knowledge that it'll eventually evaporate and turn into rain again.

I'm personally more concerned about the charities people promote, their vivisection policies, how much good they do, and the amount of money being earned by their directors and managers.

• - but the water shortages in the UK seem to more about management and logistics than the actual amount of water we have ... I mean, we're surrounded by sea and have rivers everywhere and we should always be grateful for that!.

Very true!

It amazes me the amount of rainfall throughout the year in the UK, to the point of flash floods, river's bursting their banks; water level records being broken since records begun 100's of years ago. In fact it's total mayhem due to rainfall sometimes.

Then along comes the sunshine for a few weeks and there's a water shortage. It does raise an eyebrow...

• I did the bucket challenge. I was pretty pissed off when I was nominated for the following reasons:

The guilt trip aspect: Donate or you're an uncaring, stingy git.
    The pass it on, chain letter way these things spread. I asked permission from the people I 'nominated' first, or nominated people I knew would be up for it.
    The charity itself. I don't do medical research charities in general because of the vivisection it inevitably involves. I couldn't find a caring only MND charity, so donated to Macmillan instead.
    The 'forfeits' if you don't do it, and having to do it within a deadline.

I would have refused to do it outright if so many of my friends hadn't been so completely into it. They would almost definitely have seen it as me judging them, and would have thought of me as a giant stick-in-the-mud. So I did it for their reasons and kept quiet about my own reservations. I'm all too aware of how badly this reflects on me and I'm not happy about it. But sometimes I get a bit sick of being the judgemental one all the time, so I did the stupid challenge. Like all fads, it'll fizzle out soon enough.

• I understand how you feel Beachy, we live surrounded by peer-pressure and judgemental types that assume you are being judgemental if you differ from them. At least you donated elsewhere.

I can't find the proper link but in the blurb to this awful video (view it on youtube for the blurb) she mentions that the charity uses 400 animals per month.

• Me and my partner refused to do it, and received all manner of aggro, off people we know, for disagreeing with the status quo. Me and my partner support quite a few charities each month by direct debit, and have never had the need to tell people, it was just something we do, but now, we have to defend ourselves with that fact, for not wasting a resource that is more than a luxury for many in the world.

it annoys me that people just do it, because everyone else is doing, and the news said to do it. To be honest, i wouldn't be surprised if this challenge was orchestrated by the governments, to check on conformity. What better way to see how gullible people are, by getting them to dump water on their heads, because the Tele told them to......

• Thanks for posting this up - there's so much I'd like to help sort out in this world if I could.

I feel like I have to do a full research project on charities that at face value seem like great things, as I just don't trust what goes on.
    I hate being pressured into anything but it's so easy to be especially when people play the guilt card.

• I asked a few of the teenagers at work today what the whole thing was all about. They told me that they had done it and that it was all about raising awareness.

"Awareness of what?" I asked.

"Oh... I don't know."

Doh!

• ... but still only 28 % goes to research.

Given that the charity exists not only to raise funds to research into a cure, but also to support those currently living with the condition and to raise awareness of the issues around motor neurone disease, is that really so bad?

Their mission statement ...
    "Leading the fight to treat and cure ALS through global research and nationwide advocacy while also empowering people with Lou Gehrig's Disease and their families to live fuller lives by providing them with compassionate care and support. Mission Priorities 1. Raise the level of awareness of The ALS Association as the leading voice and most trusted source of information about Lou Gehrig's Disease. 2. Lead, direct and/or collaborate on global research to understand the disease, develop treatments and ultimately find a cure. 3. Provide every person with ALS and their families access to high quality, consistent and compassionate support services. 4. Advance a nationwide advocacy program that increases funding for ALS research, improves patient services and empowers the entire ALS community. 5. Function as one organization with unity of purpose. 6. Operate within a business model designed to ensure stability and promote financial strength."

I find it intriguing that an American charity has managed to drum up support from so many people around the world. I wonder how many of our friends dousing themselves in buckets of water realise that?

==============================================
    PS

Okay, having just seen gee's video link there's obviously a lot more going on that I don't know about. Time for more research.

• While you're right, sadly most charities are operated the same as any other company, if the directors aren't paid enough they leave. The guy that though up the ice bucket challenge is probably getting a fat bonus.

• Ultimately it's the media that peddle these fads to the people.

I came across an interesting quote today from the late Malcom X

It's sad but true -

"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses. If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."