Should i become a vegetarian ?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hello, i have been thinking about the pro's and con's of becoming a vegetarian. I have happily ate meat all my life. I like the taste and i've always been lead to believe that as human beings our natural diet is to be an omnivore. So we eat pretty much everything.
    As i start to deepen my spiritual journey i am seeing more and more things on the internet that are saying i should be a vegetarian because of my beliefs. I just don't know if i am very to take the jump, i'll have to broaden my diet to reach the needs that i'll loose by stopping eating meat (Protein, nutrients). I'm just very unsure on where to start, or if i even want to. Ideally i've always wanted to eat organic meat, unfortunately the prices are far to high as i am 21, jobless and currently homeless until i find a new home. Any information, advice and help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you :)
    Violet.

• I think everyone should be vegetarian, but I also think you should know why you want to be otherwise it will be a short fad.

It is much easier now than a few years back but it can still be tricky. Eating at home is easy enough but eating with family or friends or going to a small restaurant that doesn't understand can be a chore if you're not dedicated.

There are many here that won't agree but it is healthier. However you should research what you eat to make sure you have a balanced diet, almost every vegetarian cookery book includes details that will help. If you just eat ready made meals or sandwiches you will get ill. For good recipes and more information check out the vegetarian society & the bbc cookery pages.

The ethical reasons are well known, if you want to be horrified at what goes on in the farming industry check out the likes of Viva & Peta.

• ultraviolett, you are making an ethical and loving decision to cut meat out of your diet. if everyone did that, we would not only be less violent to one another, but more healthy, and our animals wouldn't have to suffer. i am glad you are choosing that way. thankyou.
    xxxxxxx

• Asking whether you should become a vegetarian strikes me as an odd kind of question. Maybe you meant to ask something else ... I've been a vegetarian for about forty-seven years, so it hard for me to see any advantages to eating meat. I have a very modest income and I eat well, enjoying delicious and mostly fresh food. You should become a vegetarian only if you choose to do it because you want to, not because of some stuff someone writes on the web, whether here or anywhere else. By all means let the opinions of others and the facts of factory farming, climate change, sustainable land use and other considerations inform your opinion, but the decision is yours to take. Personally I hope you come to see there are benefits to be had from a vegetarian diet, but my opinion shouldn't be what makes your mind up for you.

Best wishes

• Thank you so much for the help and advice everyone! I am currently researching into becoming a vegetarian. I am going to take my time and research thoroughly and hopefully i shall (if i come to that decision) become a vegetarian. I am mostly scared of the fact that my family will not agree, some have grown up on farms or have had a hand in farming at some point but all of them have ate meat all their lives.
    Thank you again for all your help.

• Thank you so much for the help and advice everyone! I am currently researching into becoming a vegetarian. I am going to take my time and research thoroughly and hopefully i shall (if i come to that decision) become a vegetarian. I am mostly scared of the fact that my family will not agree, some have grown up on farms or have had a hand in farming at some point but all of them have ate meat all their lives.
    Thank you again for all your help.

Why not research it by not eating meat for a few days, or maybe a month?

We can spend our lives researching, reading, philosophising and thinking, but it's often the practical application that proves the most beneficial.

It's not like avoiding meat is gonna make your teeth fall out ... you can always go back to a meaty lifestyle in the future.

Oh, and so what if your family disapprove? You're 21 years old and it's none of their business.

• I think i am going to. I have just been and bought at vegetarian cook book for students. Cheap, healthy vegetarian meals which i think i could actually make. I shall definitely be giving it a go.

And as for my family disapproving, I know i shouldn't care if they approve or not. I guess they will just have to learn to live with my decisions. Thank you :)