My new adventure, part one

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Ive called this part one as i think my new adventure may have many starts before it gets going.

On the 31st off this month my lease is up, my flatmates moving on and i cant afford to keep the place on by myself. If i go to the council they will put me up in a b&b but i would have to get rid of my dog, not something im willing to do. Doggystyle is for life not just Christmas!!! The local cat and dog home dont have a list of animal friendly landlords. I do however have a caravan, but no way of towing it. Im sure if i need i can find a way to tow it to a permanent place.
    I may be able to put it in a field and live init there but thats a long shot, i may also be able to put it in my mates drive but we all know thats only going to be a short term fix. His neighbours will complain its a fairly quiet cul de sac.
    I do have two motorbike that i need to sell, along with a few other things. Hopefully raising about a grand, also my accountants working on my tax return so hopefully its about the same. It should come in about the end of the month.

If things dont sell or i dont get as much as i think for them, or if theres a delay in my tax return im screwed, i can easy get a c/o address for signing on so i still get jsa, and i dont mind towing the caravan about with me. i cant afford to live on a caravan site round here as there £15 - £20 a night. my plan has been to buy a van and convert it, but ive really struggled for work over the last few months and moneys been tight.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what i should or could do?

• I remember reading somewhere (probably on here) that if your caravan isn't hitched up to your car/van then you are ok to overnight, good luck dude.

• Hiya Pyke,
    If the landlord doesn't have people waiting to move in, is there any chance of getting a temporary tenant for a month or two, just to give you breathing space in which to get everything sorted out? Maybe cards in shop windows or I'm wondering if there is anything online where people seek short term tenants/accommodation? I realise it's a bit of a long shot.

I was responding to somebody else a couple of weeks back about how to earn money in our situation, doing odd cash jobs for folk and how pleasant and rewarding it can be. I'll try to find the message I posted on UKHippy. I've always found that there are lots of folk with a bit more cash than energy or ability, so any garden or household jobs that somebody needs doing can help you put food on the caravan table very nicely. It's just a question of knocking doors and showing what a decent sort you are.
    Window cleaners always do the outside windows, but try getting them to do the INSIDES. Car washing, UPVC fascia washing, gutter cleaning, lawn mowing, weeding, digging, cleaning up, tidying etc etc.
    Have you any particular skills - anything you could make or a service you can offer to people door to door?
    Dave.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

• So you've got til the 31st.
    Firstly i'd check out the friends drive short term, lets assume it gives you another week.
    As you say, maybe you can find somewhere long term, and an obliging friend to tow it. Maybe a pub, restaurant car park would let you park it in exchange for a bit of casual labour such as kerping the grounds tidy.
    You'd have to move every 28 days though.
    Hope it works out for you

• In the past when I had caravan but nothing to tow it with myself I found a cabbie with a tow hitch and he got the caravan to a nearby campsite...
    Hth

• Im very sorry but i dont give advice any more as know one takes any notice .

I do how ever give advice once a project is finished and explain on how things could have worked out better . , :beard:

• Im very sorry but i dont give advice any more as know one takes any notice .

I do how ever give advice once a project is finished and explain on how things could have worked out better . , :beard:

Cheers for that mate, hope you notice how polite im being!!!?
    Hope you mind u sent me ur postcode n ive seen pics o yer van. Me n pup could share your garden we the sheep

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah n p.s thats there loss i always take on board all advice given n hope for the best

• So you've got til the 31st.
    Firstly i'd check out the friends drive short term, lets assume it gives you another week.
    As you say, maybe you can find somewhere long term, and an obliging friend to tow it. Maybe a pub, restaurant car park would let you park it in exchange for a bit of casual labour such as kerping the grounds tidy.
    You'd have to move every 28 days though.
    Hope it works out for you

Been plying my wares for a few weeks now, being a builder you would think i would do well. But im in aberdeen n up here theres pretty strict anti gypsy laws. Just google " aberdeen gypsy" theres thousands apon thousands of pages all anti gypsy. Weve even got a new bylaw saying you can only stay in a camp for 24hrs before it becomes illegal and they can move you on without a court order " aberdeen anti gypsy law"

Theres money up here, apparently the streets are paved with gold, n every year there a massive influx of irish travellers doing dodgy jobs every summer

• Hiya Pyke,
    If the landlord doesn't have people waiting to move in, is there any chance of getting a temporary tenant for a month or two, just to give you breathing space in which to get everything sorted out? Maybe cards in shop windows or I'm wondering if there is anything online where people seek short term tenants/accommodation? I realise it's a bit of a long shot.

I was responding to somebody else a couple of weeks back about how to earn money in our situation, doing odd cash jobs for folk and how pleasant and rewarding it can be. I'll try to find the message I posted on UKHippy. I've always found that there are lots of folk with a bit more cash than energy or ability, so any garden or household jobs that somebody needs doing can help you put food on the caravan table very nicely. It's just a question of knocking doors and showing what a decent sort you are.
    Window cleaners always do the outside windows, but try getting them to do the INSIDES. Car washing, UPVC fascia washing, gutter cleaning, lawn mowing, weeding, digging, cleaning up, tidying etc etc.
    Have you any particular skills - anything you could make or a service you can offer to people door to door?
    Dave.

Un fortunately i live about a five min walk from a uni so theres no danger it cant be rented out, come september every house in abdn is rented out.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember reading somewhere (probably on here) that if your caravan isn't hitched up to your car/van then you are ok to overnight, good luck dude.

Not in aberdeen, see other replys in this post

• Really dont mean to dismiss every idea, just been thru a few of them. Or the ones i havent been thru fall under the anti gypsy laws, saying that im away to go see the irish gypsies working round the corner from me tomorrow about getting a job. Dont have a problem working for them, just not stupid enough to tell them my situation. Worked on and off for irish travellers for about five years now, i have skills they dont and im not stupid enough to show them how to do my job. If i show them my job then they dont need me anymore, cos i come from scottish tinkers n am related to well known scottish travellers i dont get the piss taken. Get treated better than a gorga but not like im one of them

• Un fortunately i live about a five min walk from a uni so theres no danger it cant be rented out, come september every house in abdn is rented out.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not buy a Caravan and rent it out to a Gypsey who hasnt got one :D:thumbup:

• Well i know that !
    Just didnt want to be inpolite to the Gypsies . {lol}

• Right Pykey ,
    Heres what i think , {and has been mentioned in some above posts }

Buy the biggest van you can afford .
    Buying a Caravan and a prime mover can stretch your finances , Caravans also harder to park up in for free ,and less stealthy , plus will limit you travelling about looking for work having to lug it around with you ,

So the biggest van you can buy/afford and run is the answer .:thumbup:

• Right Pykey ,
    Heres what i think , {and has been mentioned in some above posts }

Buy the biggest van you can afford .
    Buying a Caravan and a prime mover can stretch your finances , Caravans also harder to park up in for free ,and less stealthy , plus will limit you travelling about looking for work having to lug it around with you ,

So the biggest van you can buy/afford and run is the answer .:thumbup:

Thats the plan, but got the caravan. I know its not the best way ahead but ive got it and its got to be included in the no hope b&b avoidance plan. My general plan is to get a van n build the bits out of the caravan into the back of the van and take it from there. I know as a single person i cant take a caravan with me most of the time, just mite have to do it for a while till i sort something better.

• Get a friend to move in with you where you are to help pay the bills.
    Try approaching farmers in your area for a little work in return for staying on their land.
    Try advertising in the local rag.
    Rural estates might have land and or job opportunities.
    Join a community like Talahm or approach the camphill Rudolph steiner folks - they have a community in Deeside Aberdeen as well as many other places in the world... the Deeside lot have an impressive set up with solar, farm land, workshops etc.
    Best thing to do is put your finger in as many pies as possible so that if a few ideas fall through at least you have back ups. One of your tactics will get you somwhere.

• Well things have changed a little, i started a new job last week so at least ive now got money comming in. Ive also gotten a place to crash where i can keep the dog, a friend o mine has a spare room i can use for a while. I dont really fancy it as i think it will do my head in, but its a rooof over my head. So the plan is to save every penny i can and get my self a van to live in