BEAT THE SUPERMARKETS

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This only works at morrison's ... when looking in the reduced sections take extra care to look for multi purchase offers because the till does not recognise what price you pay for items ( in terms of reduced price ) the till only recognises that you have made a multi purchase and then gives you the original discount ..... for example last week i bought 3 punnets of nectarines reduced from 99p to 18p the ' offer ' was buy 3 for £2... upon examining my receipt i noticed i had been given 97p off my total bill considering i only paid 54p ... morrisson's paid me 43p to take them off their shelves:thumbup:.. today i bought 2 twin packs of ( meat) slices.. price 89p reduced from £1.75 the ' offer ' was buy 2 for £2.50 once again at the till £1 was deducted from my bill....so i paid 78p for the 2 packs:clap:....happy hunting.......:insane:

• I occasionally pop into Tesco to buy my tea on my way back from work because I drive right past it, so it's very convenient. I head to the reduced fridge section and it almost always works out under £1 for a main meal, and sometimes less than 50p. It also means I try lots of new things because there's often stuff on there that I've never had before :-)

• I love a reduced section, the tescos near me, is always filled with reduced veggies, salad and hummus, which always makes me smile.... When you can get a full salad for 20p, you're on a winner! Don't have a morrisons near me though, or i would definately be trying your tip :)

• I was in sainsburys last night about half an hour before it closed, there was a shop assistiant bagging all the items fron the reduced trolley, i asked him why and was told they were going in the bin as no one bought them. So why do u bag them? Its eaiser for us to handle.
    Can i have them?
    No!
    Why not?
    There going in the bin, no one wants them!
    I will take them,
    No, they have to go in the bin. Its my job to put them in the bin
    So i cant have them?
    No there going in the bin

Still have no idea why they were clearing the reduced shelf half an hour before the shop closed, guess its cos they wanted to go home and thats more important than food waste.

• Ive Pulled for Tesco and Safeway on Nites

Been there and seen them putting all sorts in there Bins at back of Store .
    Some things {Meat, Veg , you name it }

Some of it NOT EVEN OUT OF DATE ,

They needed Shelf Space for the same produce just delivered that had a longer Sell by Date Ticket on it .

And yes , as we know theres people out there Starving .!!!

Greed and Consumerism !!!

• And this is why I go skipping for food!

• Many supermarkets seem to lock the thrown-away food into the bins, or have the bins in a lockable cage or compound. I suppose if you can tell from what's going on inside the shop that a batch of food is liable to be taken out shortly you can wait for the staff to come out. It's absolutely criminal to waste food the way they do, and there should certainly be some sort of allowance made to allow people to take discarded food away. It's another one of those things that one day we will look back on in absolute bewilderment, like slavery or Terry Wogan.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

• I had a bin key for many years. I need to get myself a new one haha yeah its absolutely appalling the amount of good food they throw away just because they 'need' to rotate stock. It should be criminal to throw food away! A few years back a coops electric went out and me and my ex mentioned to them to take it to the local salvation army. They just laughed and said your having a laugh. So we said we'd get it later. Got there and it'd had bleach and washing powder thrown over everything. Absolutely vile they are! the coop near where im parked atm has there 'food waste' bin next to a clothing bin for the salvation army
    Bags of wasted food next to a charity bin for the homeless and elderly! Its disgusting!

• Many supermarkets seem to lock the thrown-away food into the bins, or have the bins in a lockable cage or compound. I suppose if you can tell from what's going on inside the shop that a batch of food is liable to be taken out shortly you can wait for the staff to come out. It's absolutely criminal to waste food the way they do, and there should certainly be some sort of allowance made to allow people to take discarded food away. It's another one of those things that one day we will look back on in absolute bewilderment, like slavery or Terry Wogan.

Sir terry is a legend, also probably the only last famous person from the 80's not to be in jail for kiddie fiddling

• just a quick up-date... the scheme still works...!.. today bought 3 packs of aberdeen angus 1/4 pounders 4 in a pack... offer was 3 for a tenner .. original pack price £4 per pack.. reduced price £2.05 per pack = £6.15 for 3 and yes the till took £2 off ... lol:insane:

• I haven't read this thread in it's entirety so apologies if some has posted similar info.

I have gotten into the habit of visiting the supermarkets half an hour or so before the close as I have found they virtually give stuff away. Sometimes though you can just go during the day & pick up some great bargains. Yesterday in Morrisons I got a large Hovis loaf for 15p & a basket load of dented cans (well in date) for 9p each. In amongst the haul was Hienz beans & sausage & two tins of salmon previously marked up at £2.99 each. I haven't totted it all up but I guess I ended up with about £18 of stuff for less than two quid!

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't read this thread in it's entirety so apologies if some has posted similar info.

I have gotten into the habit of visiting the supermarkets half an hour or so before the close as I have found they virtually give stuff away. Sometimes though you can just go during the day & pick up some great bargains. Yesterday in Morrisons I got a large Hovis loaf for 15p & a basket load of dented cans (well in date) for 9p each. In amongst the haul was Heinz beans & sausage & two tins of salmon previously marked up at £2.99 each. I haven't totted it all up but I guess I ended up with about £18 of stuff for less than two quid!

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• I don't know why it has repeated itself, I was only trying to edit to correct spelling.

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE

Morrissons have started to print " excludes multi-buy purchases " on their reduced stickers !.. this is bullshit... !.. just bought 2 pizza's reduced to £1.89 printed with a buy 2 for £4 label.... and guess what?... yes £1.18 came off the bill.. = £1.30 per pizza... lol:insane:

• Bobbed into my local co op near closing time a bloke was bagging food up to throw out so told him nicely that it was totally unethical to throw good food away and could I have some please. He found me some bags and left me to it ... Distributed bananas cheese straws cakes bread etc etc to friends who I knew would make use of them and ate well for a couple of days !

• You have to be very careful when glancing at labels in the supermarkets.

yesterday in Morrisons I bagged a 2.25 kilo 'ethically reared' chicken which is still in date for a couple of days. Full price as £4. I got it for 99p. Guess what I'm having for dinner? (& tea)

By judicious shopping my weekly food cost comes in between 15 & 20 pounds a week.

• You have to be very careful when glancing at labels in the supermarkets.

Yesterday in Morrisons I bagged a 2.25 kilo 'ethically reared' chicken which is still in date for a couple of days. Full price was £4. I got it for 99p. Guess what I'm having for dinner? (& tea)

By judicious shopping my weekly food cost comes in between 15 & 20 pounds a week.

• That's an excellent discount. We rarely see that kind of discount in Asda, Aldi, Lidl, or Sainsburys, and certainly not in Waitrose.

A relative of mine who used to work in Sainsburys said they had a policy of not reducing below a certain level, and then the food was wasted. They would rather waste it than sell it at a big discount. This policy was supposed to stop the needy and the greedy from hanging about late in the store, waiting for the final discounts to happen.

• Tesco Express stores are usually another good source of discounted food. Go in about an hour before they close & you can often find many discounts in the chiller aisle. In the past I've had £2.50 pizzas with that days sell by on them for about 40p, I buy stuff like that freeze it. I've yet to come down with food poisoning!

• If you persist you can really stick it to the big corporation by buying food items which cost less than they bought them for in the first place! :thumbup: