Slipping out of the mainstream......

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've got a pretty mainstream job, (NHS) which I've been in for several years. I have a decent home (on a mortgage) in a nice part of the world. Problem is, I feel very, very constrained, shackled even, definitely not free, and this feeling has escalated in recent years. I've noticed the noose tightening and tightening as the NHS changes and where I live has become more and more pretentious.
    I feel ready to jump ship, not sure how, or to what, but I know I could at times just walk away from the whole lot. To be honest, I'm probably weekend hippy at the moment!
    Have any of you lot just 'jumped' from something apparently safe into the unknown? If so, how did it go? How did you walk away from 'normality' to your current way of life - was it a gentle tweak, or a wholesale trade-in?
    Me, I've been tweaking a lot lately, but it's not doing it for me; I'm ready to make a big splash and slip out of the mainstream and I'm curious as to your experience of doing the same.

• We took a massive leap. We both gave up our jobs, sold our house, sold most of our possessions and moved into a truck. We made some mistakes and we had some very testing times but 14 years later we are still living the no fixed abode life.

The plan was to move to France and buy a small holding and live happily ever after but a series of unfortunate events saw us go through a year of hell and we lived off the proceeds of the house until they were gone.

If you sell a house to slip out of the mainstream please put some of the money into buying some land so you have something that will last forever and you will always have somewhere to go.

good luck

Paul

• I know that feeling only too well. It never leaves you! I've been tweaking my life for years but still want to jump ship. So that's what I'm going to do.
    I'm in the last stages of my preps. I'll explain a bit more. I don't have any plans to use a vehicle as this will mean there will be pressur3 to earn money.
    I want to try and live on as minimum a budget as I can although I will have a good cash fallback.
    I've been saving for awile now but its very slow with all the bilks, so, my daughter and her family has moved in to my rented property. I'll be relocating in August to start a new and very well paid job. I'll just be renting a room so that over the next 6-9 months I can save as much as possible. Then I'm off.
    Part of my plans is wwoofing. (Working weekends on organic farms) is a long established movement no longer confined to just weekends. A person works 4-6 hours a day in return for food and accommodation. They have to be willing to embrace a totally different lifestyle. Skills are taught such as coppicing, dry stone walling, animal husbandry and much more.
    Also, i am going to try and establish myself with Ht walking holidays. Volunteers lead walkers both here and abroad. Everything of course is paid for.
    I already have some paid work lined up for my first year as well, along with accomadation. This for a total so far of 5 weeks.
    Nervous times ahead but committed now.

• Well I sold my house & gave up my "career" after 15 years living & working in Leeds. I was becoming more managerial & increasingly disillusioned with the whole lot of it, thinking along the lines of "so is this it, then?" And that was with a job that I certainly partly enjoyed, working with decent, bright people not idiots. Luckily made some money on the house sale which provided a good springboard for me to go off travelling for 3 years - South & Central America & SE Asia. I travelled, did conservation work & also got into sailing & scuba diving, ending up teaching scuba in Thailand for a while. Came back here, bought a boat to live on & did that for 4 years, now have a boat in Greece & live in a van here. Know what you mean about the NHS, after I came back I got a job as a porter at the local hospital & now work as an HCA for the nursing bank. It's grim but can be rewarding of course but crucially it does give me the freedom to go off whenever I want to without booking leave or even telling anyone where I'm going & for how long. I'm not beholden to it in any way, did have an idea of maybe having a second career as a nurse but now I've seen what it's like decided against that. I go to Greece twice a year for about 6 weeks, e.g., have probably got more disposable income than I've ever had, happier & freer than I've ever been. People who know how I live are usually quite envious & I do wonder why more people don't just do things a bit defferently, however sometimes it's not easy, can be a bit lonely sometimes, e.g. & you need to be quite self reliant, practical, able to fix things when they go wrong, e.g. I would not go back to being a mortgage/career slave like I was before & which too many people here have been, continue to be & will be in the future. I'm rereading "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" (Robert Tressel) at the moment & would recommend it if you haven't read it already. Twas ever thus...

• my attitude to getting out of the "mainstream" started a long long time ago.. 11 years ago, I had a business that netted me over €2000 a week clear after all deductions, it bored me, I bought the toys I wanted, it did not make me happy, I stood there watching a cow grazing in the field, I said to a friend standing next to me.. "what a simple life that cow has, no worries about the taxman, rent / mortgage,electric bills, car running costs etc...

At that point I gave up the business and started my quest to live the simple life free from the shackles of the "mainstream"...

I am much happier these days, very little stress and hardly any income....

• Just wondering how those people managed who have no assets? I still think its sorta possible, but maybe less comfortable? Maybe if you are younger and fitter you can do Woofing and other stuff? Did people find others to share this with? It might be hard to do on your own, esp. if female?

• Just wondering how those people managed who have no assets? I still think its sorta possible, but maybe less comfortable? Maybe if you are younger and fitter you can do Woofing and other stuff? Did people find others to share this with? It might be hard to do on your own, esp. if female?

I'm 55 but am going to give wwoofing a go along with some other avenues. I will be "roughing it" quite a lot too! But I'm used to that :)

• i want to get out of the mainstream aswell... i've been looking on diggers and dreamers for a few vacancies of membership to help out in shared/communal houses but i'm too scared as i have no extra money saved and what if i need new clothes etc or girly necessities... i would love to work and help out at a retreat doing yoga and meditation but i cant find any vacancies...its probably highly sort after anyhow.

http://www.beingsomewhere.net/hobbit.htm this looks awesome

• good luck lex. Gaia House in Devon often have vacancies for Buddhist-minded residential assistants (so requires some commitment there, but you can check that out for yourself). Have a look at their website. I have done a couple of retreats there, and if I were younger and less disabled/healthier I would consider doing more there. ( Sorry, am rubbish at adding threads but I think you can find on internet easily).

• I've been out of the mainstream so long I forget what it's like. Was made redundant 39 years ago and started being self-employed. Bought my first piece of land 4 years later with money that I'd saved in those 4 years.(5k) - I've never drawn benefits and have never earned more than 10k in a year. Hardly ever lived in a house since I was 18.
    I now own land I bought for 80k five years ago, run 2 vehicles and am debt free. It's been hard work most of the time and I've been married and divorced, and had financial hassle from that.

' When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place '

• I've been out of the mainstream so long I forget what it's like. Was made redundant 39 years ago and started being self-employed. Bought my first piece of land 4 years later with money that I'd saved in those 4 years.(5k) - I've never drawn benefits and have never earned more than 10k in a year. Hardly ever lived in a house since I was 18.
    I now own land I bought for 80k five years ago, run 2 vehicles and am debt free. It's been hard work most of the time and I've been married and divorced, and had financial hassle from that.

Inspirational. You should write a book

paul

• Hi guys, there are a few things Ive always wondered about just `disappearing` from the norm... how do you go about insuring a car/van if you have no fixed abode,, and where do you register the vehicle on the log book? One other thing is,,, which is a bit of a bugger for me as I hate banks,, but can you have a bank account with no fixed abode? I would love to not bother with one,, but for business use,,, if you don't the tax man just bends you over a barrel doesn't he?? Can you get by with just keeping a ledger of income and outgoings for the purpose of tax returns,,, thinking about it,, if you have no fixed abode,, what happens with tax returns? I know you will say just don't bother with one,, but I have a shop,, so would not be able to just not submit a return. Thanks in advance guys

• Have a glance through the Nomadic stuff Worz, there's a few threads about legal stuff like this:
    http://www.ukhippy.com/stuff/s…dress-For-The-Legal-Stuff

Sometimes it depends what sort of bank account you want. If it's a named business account, they can be okay with using your accountant's address, if you have one. We had an accountant one time who had about fifty businesses (some very small) using his address as their legal office, so anything from the tax people went there as well. He would either dealt with it and charge you, or you could collect it as you wished. Same with company correspondence. But he couldn't or wouldn't do it for private stuff, only businesses.

• Hi there, thanks for the reply, I will check out the legal section,, please forgive me for not seeing it myself. I don't have an accountant ,, just do it myself, but I will look into it. thanks again