Money saving tips!!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This may not work for everyone but it works very well for me and quite a few people I've told.
    I worked out (quite carefully) how much my gas was costing me to do the washing up, also how much water I was using to do it.
    I won't go into fine detail but the end result was (and still is) that I can buy and use throw-away paper plates/bowls and plastic cutlery MUCH CHEAPER than heating the water for washing up and with a significant saving on water.

• This may not work for everyone but it works very well for me and quite a few people I've told.
    I worked out (quite carefully) how much my gas was costing me to do the washing up, also how much water I was using to do it.
    I won't go into fine detail but the end result was (and still is) that I can buy and use throw-away paper plates/bowls and plastic cutlery MUCH CHEAPER than heating the water for washing up and with a significant saving on water.

Disposable plastic is terrible for the environment. May personally cost less, but in the long run will cost us all greatly. Which his a shame as I'm oft too lazy to wash up.

• If you don't want to spend money heating water for the washing up then why not make yourself a solar water heater? Could even use harvested rainwater and save water and gas at the same time while helping out the environment by not being wasteful.

• Get free stuff weneva you find it.
    Be a freegan
    Go for the last reductions at supermarkets
    Free papers you read em an then have paper to rap rubbish clean windows stuff in shoes 2 dry em
    Neva pass a supermarket or petrol station cafe wivout picking up sugar salt pepper. I neva by these!
    Look by clothin banks for cloths
    Charity shops throw out all sorts ov stuff from cutltlery 2 books check ther bins
    Poundshops are gr8 4 anythin from flip flops 2 antifreeze.
    Stores own brands are mega cheep why pay a £ a bottle 4 coke wen u can get a tesco bottle 4 17p?
    I drink Mc Ds coffee but never pay for it. Keep an eye out for old cups an collect the stickers of them.

• There's not such thing as leftovers in my house, that's the base for tomorrows soup, well every restaurant in the country does the same thing with their "soup of the day" so why not me, lol.

• Clean the glass of your stove with a 4:1 mix of wood/turf ash and bicarb of soda, with enough flash liquid to turn it to slurry.

Keep a large plastic jug by your sinks and basins. When running off water from the hot tap, fill the jug until the hot comes through. Then use the jug when you want cold water instead of turning on the cold tap. I watch my water meter and it does make a difference.

• If you need a disposable compost container for your kitchen,use old bread bags.When empty,I roll the sides down to form a bowl shape.I add my fruit/veg scraps to this,pulling up the sides as it fills over the week.I have an allotment,so when I visit it,I just tie up the bread bag and deposit the waste into a compost heap on my plot.The bag can be re-used several times,no need to wash it unless it turns slimy inside.

• Birth control :D................would also in many cases save us taxpayers having to feed and clothe the little blighters.

Children.....don't have any myself but quite like them.....not sure I could eat a whole one at one sitting, though.
    :barf:

• You can't beat Approved Food if your not too fussy. I buy a big job lot of stuff every so often that lasts for ages. Lots of vegetarian and vegan stuff too. Last weeks bargain was big packs of mini dime bars for 1p!

• Approved food is a website. It's basically stuff manufactures can't sell for whatever reason and some stuff is short date or just out of date. They even have gluten free and vegan stuff. I usually get a massive box of treats that lasts 3 months for around £30 including delivery.

• If I ever had the choice of a last meal, my desert island dish would be:
    Bread Pudding - and it costs virtually nothing.

Soak stale bread in water until it goes soft again.
    Squeeze and remove as much water as possible, then break up the bread.
    Mix in suet, sugar, spice and dried fruit.
    Put in a greased tin and bake in the oven till it looks ready (before the raisons on top go black).
    Put the kettle on... as you wait for it to cool (if you can bear it, I never can)

• My last meal would be a giant bacon sandwich and pudding would be a replica of my wedding cake, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate with Belgium chocolate filling and chocolate sponge, tiz was the best cake I've ever eaten

-- Posted from the UKHippy mobile app --