Breakfust, lunch, dinner, tea?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I think it used to be like that down here when I was a kid. We looked forward to school dinner at midday as the big feed of the day. Then I think 'Taking Lunch' crept in amongst the managerial classes and filtered down. In all the factories I worked in, dinner break was midday. When they got closed dinner seemed to go with them. Places I worked after that started to have 'Lunch breaks' of a half-hour instead of 'Dinner break' of an hour. As the old folk died off the idea of 'dinner' for the midday meal gradually faded out. Dinner in the early evening became the main meal of the day.
    Now we're mostly retired we have 'Afternoon tea' at about 4 o'clock, but this is a bit of a joke on our part, and probably amuses the neighbours, because if one of us is out in the garden the other rings a handbell to tell them afternoon tea is served....

• When I grew up Lunch was a cold meal in the middle of the day (eg. a sandwich) and Dinner was a cooked meal in the middle of the day. Then evening meal was Tea.
    So for me it would be Breakfast, Lunch/Dinner, Tea

• As a child I was confused by having to carry a lunch box for dinner time and then being sent to the chippie for a fish supper for tea. Got even more confusing as an adult when I found out about afternoon tea.

These days I just eat when hungry.

:S

Ian

• [quote='ian52hants','http://ukhippy.com/freakpower/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=1339654#post1339654']As a child I was confused by having to carry a lunch box for dinner time and then being sent to the chippie for a fish supper for tea. Got even more confusing as an adult when I found out about afternoon tea.

These days I just eat when hungry.

Ahh up northh this is known as a dinner tin, or bait box, the bag you carry it in ( used to be cloth) was known as a dinner bag or bait bag, also when you get to the east coast of yorkshire bait or lowance is known as "snap"

• Breakfast/dinner/tea.

Thats it simple.

brother is all posh now, its become breakfast/lunch and supper, ffs.

the age old argument why is christmas dinner called christmas dinner has suddenly evolved into christmas "LUNCH" the heathens so the argument that lunch is a light meal served at noon but what is this chrismas LUNCH thing where the hell did that come from. BASTARDS....lol

• its a class thing, bloody confusing, people who aspire now have breakfast, lunch and dinner,

people who are upper or on the upper or whatever the fkk now have breakfast lunch and supper, ffs.

normal people just keep it simple breakfast dinner and tea.

i sayu why does breakfast remain, its so common why not fkk about with breakfast as well on call it 1 st dinner or upse daisy or sun up din dinns ffs

• If you were a Hobbit, Prepper, you'd get a chance at Second Breakfast.

We do Breakfast, which is generally some sort of porridge unless it's hot weather; then lunch, which can be anything light, from a boiled egg to a couple of bits of toast; and then Afternoon Tea, which is a bit of a parody on what the toffs have: usually a mug of tea and a bit of fruit loaf, toasted, or a bun or a couple of biscuits. We then have what some call Dinner and some call Supper, usually at about 7.30 to 9 pm. This is a larger meal of cooked vegetables and fish, meat, or cheese, along with a bit of salad. We have dinner at night because we don't want a big sweaty meal at midday, particularly in the summer.:)

• I go with the flow. Breakfast, dinnertime, teatime, supper time. In the real world it’s breakfast (if your lucky) dinner if it’s noon onwards, tea if talking about the “event” (evening meal.) It’s still dinner when it’s on a plate, no matter what time of day it is, Solong as it’s after breakfast and luckily it always is. Supper, is just plain greedy, unless I’ve had a belly full of ale or not had chance to eat that day.

• If you were a Hobbit, Prepper, you'd get a chance at Second Breakfast.

We do Breakfast, which is generally some sort of porridge unless it's hot weather; then lunch, which can be anything light, from a boiled egg to a couple of bits of toast; and then Afternoon Tea, which is a bit of a parody on what the toffs have: usually a mug of tea and a bit of fruit loaf, toasted, or a bun or a couple of biscuits. We then have what some call Dinner and some call Supper, usually at about 7.30 to 9 pm. This is a larger meal of cooked vegetables and fish, meat, or cheese, along with a bit of salad. We have dinner at night because we don't want a big sweaty meal at midday, particularly in the summer.:)

dinner is at noon thats why we had fekin dinner ladies and christmas dinner.

The yanks have lunch at noon and dinner at night and look what thats done to them they got fat.

# bring back breakfast,dinner and tea. then maybe supper as a joke if you wanted a bag of crisps or a bit of hard cheese before bed.

fekin dinner at night thats nuts.

• It is rather unnatural to have a large meal in the middle of the day. On the rare occasions I have done that, I always feel sleepy in the afternoon, as if I'd drunk too much beer!:)

Come to that, show me an animal that does not go to sleep after a good meal. As we sleep at night, the natural time for our largest meal of the day must be in the evening.

If you study the feeding habits of people that live close to nature, hunters and gatherers, you will find they all eat their large meal in the evening, when the work of the day is over. Usually eating what they have hunted and gathered. For breakfast they eat what is left over from the night before, and take little or nothing for lunch while they are out hunting, although they may browse on wild fruits they find.

So we find that the dinner at night is little to do with Americans, it is to do with the tribe or family assembling together in the evening after the working day, and enjoying their evening meal together.

The fact that so many Americans are fat has more to do with the quantity and quality of the foods they eat, rather than when they eat them.

• I’m all out natural now that I’ve retired. One meal a day, usually between 7.00pm and 10.00pm. When working in industry, office based etc. business closes for lunch, Work stops If it’s snap time and We respect the group, work colleagues and down tools. This makes for a opportunity to scoff food also.
    As a sole trader, selfemployed forester. I work until end of working day. Tea breaks aside. I then wash and eat what becomes often the only meal of the day. This could be as late as 9.30pm. I wouldn’t want to eat a full meal after 11pm and expect it to suit my guts or dreams.

• I live on my own so I get to eat what I want when I'm hungry, but days usually go:

First breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, lunch, tea / dinner.

Elevenses and lunch sometimes merge into a meal around 12ish.

But sometimes lunch slips off into the afternoon and merges with tea and becomes dinner (dinner is a bigger meal) but then I wouldn't eat dinner later at 7pm.

Tea would be around 5ish and be a light snack.

Dinner is around 7pm and before 8pm and would be a bigger meal probably cooked.

I try not to eat after 8pm as 1) it keeps me awake 2) I feel it goes straight to fat as I'm not using it while I'm asleep.

Then again some days I just don't feel hungry so after breakfast x2 I might only have a snack lunch and forget to eat the rest of the day, or just nibble fruit.

I hope this clears everything up :)

• hey should always have a big breakfast, i have a bowl of porridge the size of a a scania hub cap, bread or toast then to work,

dont eat much at work nowadays maybe a small pack up and sanwhiches if i get hungry, if im working local i pop home for bean on toast or somat.

to be fair you shouldnt eat to much on a night, it keeps you up and its better for health to eat bigger meals either earlier in the day,

As when your asleep your body is trying to digest your meal and your laid flat

words from a nurse (mum) and your more likely to get indegestion.

but i like me main meal on an evening more time to prep, eat, relax chew the cud, but have it to late its maybe correct not to over do it.

• I guess it depends when you go to bed after the meal. We generally don't go to bed before 11-11.30 these days, so eating at 8 - 9 is fine.

We have eaten later, but can't say I've ever been kept awake by a meal, and as for the O/H, she falls asleep in the chair after a meal anyway, even if it's only 8pm, if she ain't reading something.

It's a natural thing to want to sleep after a big meal; you see all animals do it, and native tribes do it, so I guess it's a natural reaction.

Maybe it's just what you get used to, but on those rare occasions when we have a decent meal out at midday, I always feel sleepy afterwards, and doing something like digging or shovelling would upset my guts for sure.