Breakfust, lunch, dinner, tea?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• The main order of meals should be? 20

1. Breakfast - Dinner - Tea (12) 60%
    2. Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner (8) 40%

When I was a kid it pretty much always went like this ...

Breakfast, followed by dinner (around midday), followed by tea (around 5ish). At school we had "school dinners" (served by DINNER ladies) and at weekend "Sunday Dinner" would be around 1-2pm.

As I got older I discovered that many of the people I mixed with were calling their dinner "lunch", even if it was made of dinner. While at tea time they were having another dinner, and calling that "dinner" too. So they were having two dinners a day, but because they called the first dinner "lunch" they could somehow absolve their greediness. :D

So, what should it be, and why?

Breakfast, dinner and tea, or Breakfast, lunch and dinner?

• Brunch is what we have on some Sundays when we get up late. It has to be after 11 am to be Brunch...

So if ive got this rite ,
    If you have something to eat before 11 its breakfast :thumbup:
    But if you finish it after 11 :D its Brekbrunch .:beard:

• Well, I always understood it to mean that the time when starting the action determined the name of the action.
    So, a late breakfast, but still breakfast, would start before 11, as you say.
    Anything starting after that was brunch, so long as you hadn't already had breakfast, of course, and so long as it occurred before about 3.30 pm. After that it might qualify as Afternoon Tea.
    But I honestly don't know what it would be if you hadn't had any breakfast or brunch or lunch before then; perhaps Brektea?

• Well, I always understood it to mean that the time when starting the action determined the name of the action.
    So, a late breakfast, but still breakfast, would start before 11, as you say.
    Anything starting after that was brunch, so long as you hadn't already had breakfast, of course, and so long as it occurred before about 3.30 pm. After that it might qualify as Afternoon Tea.
    But I honestly don't know what it would be if you hadn't had any breakfast or brunch or lunch before then; perhaps Brektea?

Well all this has really got me thinking ,:beard:

If Lunch was lets say 12 onwards , but lets say we wanted an early lunch , say about 11.29 , pm

So what am i now eating ? An early Dinner or a late Brunch .?:beard:

• I don't like cucumbers, they are a bit indigestible, and make me burp. Also not an interesting taste.

"Well all this has really got me thinking ,:beard:

If Lunch was lets say 12 onwards , but lets say we wanted an early lunch , say about 11.29 , pm

So what am i now eating ? An early Dinner or a late Brunch .?:beard:"

As I understand it, if you had already had breakfast, then you would be taking an early Lunch, or Dinner if you prefer.
    If however you had somehow missed breakfast, then you would be having Brunch.
    (I think the Yanks invented Brunch. You kinda get up late and you missed breakfast so you combine it with your lunch: Brunch.
    Then you get up and do something energetic, like go sit on the porch or verandah).

• Why o why is it some folk take Brunch and others Elevenses ,
    Some folks have Fry-Ups but never Fry-Downs

A Ho Down when the mood is really Up .:beard:

• Elevenses is usually a cup of tea or coffee, and perhaps a biscuit. Sort of a little break.
    Brunch is an actual meal.

Milky Ways were meant to fill you up before a main meal , but i always proved them wrong .
    I think they new anyway ,cause they always added those words in , "Wont ruin your main Meal.":beard:

• I thought this was gonna be which is your favourite meal, :D so mines breakfast, as an all day breakfast eaten at tea time :pp

On topic: I always called it breakfast, dinner, tea but when I had kids, theirs schools called it lunchtime, so then they would get confused when I would say dinner at lunch...sooooooooo it's turned into breakfast, lunch and tea here.

off topic: It's always breakfast, no matter what time of day, as long as it's your first meal of the day to break your fast.*insert geeky smilie here* lol

• I've never heard it used at any work break.
    I thought it was an old soldier's or officer's word for afternoon tea break.
    It used to pop up in films about the Empire.

• Tiffin? Only ever heard that at work, usually from old soldiers or sailors. Does it only apply to grub eaten at work breaks?

I think its of Welsh origin .
    I remember pulling up on a Weighbridge in Wales ,and the weighbridge man said Fuck Off im having Tiffin .

• Paul I like you FINALLY this does annoy me i thought it was because i was a northerner that i still refered to meal times in there correct form. My brother whos sold out and become posh, calls dinner lunch, and tea dinner or supper fucking does my head in, wtf, its breakfast, (bait or lowance at 10 if your at work) dinner then tea, and if you want a snack before bed its sodding supper, who decided that it was somehow more intelligent to fuck around with basic meal times ill never know, hence why we have flipping dinner ladies.. (and breathe out)

• I think in the really old days the working man (generally down south) had elevansis up north that mid morning break is called bait or if a farm lab is called lowance (allowance ie the boss allowed a short break for a vup of tea) but if you had a bit of loot you had afternoon tea (preferably at the ritz) around aobut 3 or 4 therefore maybe it became norm or aspiring to have your tea in the afternoon, ie i guess you could call tea at 5 still tea as it is technically in the afternoon up till 6! So working man breakfast bait dinner tea, posh people breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner then later possibly supper maybe supper was a snack to make do if the caviar was late or something.

• Well for mi its like this
    6am breakfast
    9:30 tea break or second breakfast
    12:30 dinner
    6pm tea
    11ish pm supper

Think it all depends what your social standing is, or your social aspirations are on what you call each meal. I hve noticed theres no debate about what breakfast is called