Van Advice

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm after a van that I can use to get to and from work but also use to go away for a few days here and there so it would have to be decent on juice, doesn't have to be too big as there's only myself. Size wise I was thinking along the lines of a VW Transporter or Nissan Vanette, but I've always used a car for work so at a loss really on ideas. Thanks to my pension scheme messing up I have around £1,000 to spend but could easily get £500 for the car and who knows what the bank will pay me for my PPI claim ;) but I'm looking at around £1,000 - £1,500, any help much appreciated.

• I'm looking for a Daihatsu Hijet as a little runaround/day van/personal works canteen/weekend stealth camper. 40mpg and you can pick them up for about your budget or slightly less.

• I'm looking for a Daihatsu Hijet as a little runaround/day van/personal works canteen/weekend stealth camper. 40mpg and you can pick them up for about your budget or slightly less.

Thanks, I'd looked at a few makes but never thought of a Daihatsu.

• if u find a Nissan Vanette with a bosche diesel injector pump u can run it on vegetable oil
    even new veg oil is a saving...
    if you can get used it can be free
    even bought via ebay its hell of a saving

consider an LDV cub
    cos they are re-badged nissan vanettes
    & all fitted with suitable injector pumps for veg oil

• Very interesting and great info, ldv cub may have just gone to the top of the list.

• Good old tranny or trafic, depending how much weight ya plan on carrying shouldn't be too bad on fuel I use my trafic every day

At the moment it would be for 3, 4 days tops and maybe an odd week or two. For work it's just me and my butty box so wouldn't be carrying much weight, the longterm plan is to live on the road fulltime then I'll probably change to a bigger van.

• if you want to research running vans or anything else on veg oil or biodiesel
    check out this site its the best one for info......

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/

Having always used petrol cars it's something that's very new to me but you have planted a seed into my head, thank you.