Is it just me thats feeling detached from society?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Yep, George Carlin, people. "It's a big club,and you ain't in it!!"

Family,community, growing,foraging, making and mending.

Start the revolution in your mind.

• Like most who have posted on here i to feel the same .
    But in what way are we talking about "We feel detached"

I live in Social Housing ,its a Rural place , though i have neighbours close by and others in the village

My very close friends i left behind in the Big City ,
    We all used to play music in pubs together , nothing fantastic ,just jams and open mic stuff .
    All talking about being Free and on the open road when/were possible .{just like the movies :)
    We were mostly single so no ties , all is/ was possible .
    Ive never really have had a lot of money ,im now retired {pension etc} but even when working it was bad pay .

One day i bought a Van {saved all my pennies and didnt spend them on things that were luxeries ,and stayed focused on the little dream .cause i never did see any point in having a 5 seater car ,just to drive places in on my own . or go camping and meeting up at campsites with friends .

Out of all my friends {the ones i left behind }for an opportunity to live out of the Big City i was the only one who doesnt drink much alcohol {seasonal drinker i think they call it }, Out of all my friends im the only one who doesnt smoke weed or take Coke {as most musos do , }never thought i wanted to ,{though have taken Mushies in my time , though infrequently and some yrs ago .

Im kinda struggling writing this ,and trying to get everything in some type of readable order ,

The point im trying to put across {its difficult } is that however we/,they talk about being out of the system ,were all in it one way or the other ,except my friends are still back in the city amongst the view of broken bus shelters ,getting pissed ,smoking dope till they get apathetic for a future we all talked about .

Yep , i think theres a lot of people out there that talk a load of shite .
    Not meaning anyone in this forum , just life in general .

And for people feeling detached from society ,yep im one ,cause the people i infrequently meet in new life talk just as much shite as the rest .

So yes , very much detached from society .

• I can't believe it, I just said 80% of what you said on your post, 5 minutes ago to my partner. We've had too much of society and working 9-5, the way the program you since school to get you ready for when you get a job, they way everything is, having to pay stupid bills, justice seems to only favour politicians and the rich, most people are corrupted. We are also looking into getting a van and disappearing, we actually are very much valuing if we should do it, no longer can afford nothing in this world...

• I can't believe it, I just said 80% of what you said on your post, 5 minutes ago to my partner. We've had too much of society and working 9-5, the way the program you since school to get you ready for when you get a job, they way everything is, having to pay stupid bills, justice seems to only favour politicians and the rich, most people are corrupted. We are also looking into getting a van and disappearing, we actually are very much valuing if we should do it, no longer can afford nothing in this world...

Very good post you are not alone in thinking this.

• When I was a 14 year old kid, I'd look out of my bedroom window and think, what am i doing here. I need to be off. It's never left me. I've adapted my lifestyle so many times but I always come back to needing to be off.
    I'm 55 and in 6-9 months i finally will be off. I'll be homefree.
    I'll be wwoofing. I'll be leading walkers on walking holidays( voluntary) hopefully. And i also have some paid work including accomodation sorted for my first year too. Nervous but very excited. No vehicle! Just me, on foot.

• I took the 'Red Pill' in 2009 and feel blessed everyday but find the rat race almost painful to be in. Things I won't repeat here about parents treating their kids abusively in public, old people begin ignored and struggling in shops, young loud angry people trying to pick fights etc. And as everyone has said here, they are all stressing over not having enough and must keep getting more and refusing to put some real understanding, consideration and compassion into their daily lives. I feel ill sometimes with it. My mother thinks it's a treat for me for us to go to Waitrose and buy nice foods when I stay at hers. I have to stand outside the shop - I can't go in. I know it sounds daft but to see a £3 loaf of bread that anyone on benefits or minimum wage can't afford, just taken for granted and probably not all eaten by people who have never really suffered a day in their lives and who get off on 'feeling sorry for the poor' (they think that's me but in fact I've won the lottery in life! I have time, space, trees, fire and freedom - you don't get those from working 60 hours a week!).

Anyway - yes I am bang-on with this topic. It's an unpleasant 'civilisation' we've created for ourselves.

• When I was a 14 year old kid, I'd look out of my bedroom window and think, what am i doing here. I need to be off. It's never left me. I've adapted my lifestyle so many times but I always come back to needing to be off.
    I'm 55 and in 6-9 months i finally will be off. I'll be homefree.
    I'll be wwoofing. I'll be leading walkers on walking holidays( voluntary) hopefully. And i also have some paid work including accomodation sorted for my first year too. Nervous but very excited. No vehicle! Just me, on foot.

this is what i want to do.. posted a thread about 5 minutes ago about this. would love to hear more from you!

• [QUOlittlesuzyblue;1342870]this is what i want to do.. posted a thread about 5 minutes ago about this. would love to hear more from you![/QUOTE]

Hey littlesuzyblue. You should defo go for it. I'm regretting not doing it sooner. Gonna go and find your post now. Back soon

• I can tell you have that taste of adventure and longing for freedom littlesuzyblue. Make sure you plan beforehand rather than just going. Are you going to do this by yourself?

• Beginning of next year sounds cool to me littlesuzyblue. Gets the winter out of the way and gives you time to get a bit of gear together and maybe a few quid.
    Do you know about wwoofing? Is it something you've thought about?:)

• Littlesuzy.... I'm going back to about 1992 now. I used to teach survival courses on Dartmoor and on this particular weekend, although not actually teaching, I took the wife (now ex) down along with a friend and his partner. We'd been out for the day in Tavistock, just off the moor, and was returning to Princetown. I saw a girl hitchhiking. I stopped to pick her up. I was this girls 2nd lift of the day. The first lift being an old couple who also bought her something to eat.
    I've never forgotten this girl and to be honest, meeting her had a massive impact on me.
    She had a thick parka type coat on and carried a rucksack that weighed a ton. Strapped to the rucksack was a sheepskin rug and some baskets which i assume were for gathering food.
    This girl lived her life on the move in the southwest. I could have talked for hours with her.
    What i also noticed was some creeping sarcastic comments from my own companions.
    This was a massive learning curve for me not just about the girl and the life she lived but also about the people i choose to spend my time with and the life i live.
    TI'm passing the story on in the hope it will inspire you too..

• Mally, that's a lovely story! this is exactly the kind of thing my heart is set on. thank you so much for sharing.
    i've never heard of wwoofing, can you please enlighten me as i'd love to hear more? Either here, or pm to avoid going off on a tangent! :D
    thanks, Mal.

• No worries Suzy. I'll pm you. Will be tomorrow now as gotta shoot off.
    There are loads of ways and paths you can walk to get that life your destined to live Suzy.:)

• Yep I have to agree with the whole fed up with society thing. I have been homeless several times in my life too and as much as I try to settle into the whole living in a box idea I just dont seem to be able to.
    I cant get attached to posessions, every time the house starts looking a bit more homely with silly little objects and ornaments, im starting to look around me and think My god i dont need half this crap so I am off down the charity to donate all my little niknaks. I like to live light. Perhaps its because i have experienced homlessness and its perhaps because deep down Ive always felt like a square peg in a round hole. I do know that one day Im going to hit the road and travel because its something ive been preparing for. The only thing thats stopping me is stupid little things like care of addresses and yeah i suppose the biggy - how im going to support myself financially when im on the road.

• I'm with you on the homeless thing and possessions and the freedom of the open road. It has always been pulling on me in my life. Once tasted never forgotten.

• Post by RavingRambles ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I totally understand you. It's the same with me.

I met some wonderful people who are setting up a permaculture community, but I feel like an outsider to them. Because of my loner and introverted personal traits I doubt I could ever be treated as "one of them".

Do you have any details on your permaculture friends? Would they be looking for some volenteers at all? I have been looking around for some projects that I could help with whilst saving money to be able to move into a van but London is killing me. There is only so much reading that you can do on a subject before you just need to well.... I wanna plant some trees!! :hippy:

• I also found "the rat race almost painful to be in" and also found "London was killing me". So I left. Late in my life (early 50s) and I wish I'd done something like that earlier, but urban life was all I knew. Life's hardly been a bowl of roses since I left though! I've had to deal with dishonest landlords, police and worse.

Today I accidentally came across a camping show. It was just 30 tents in a field (plus a black cat). They had these blow-up tents, the new fangled-dangled thing. Very easy to put up apparently, especially for someone with health problems like me, but expensive. But I just longed to be there in some way. I asked the man could you live there in Winter, and he said, it would be a bit cold but maybe if you had a proper sleeping bag!!! I remember being on holiday in North Wales in the Summer, with storms and gales. My friend hated it, but it barely bothered me, just a different view from my window.

Anyway, I have a son, and once you have children, especially on your own, it is harder to be "independent" I think. You're in the system more :-/. And perhaps once children have been fully in the system, they don't want to leave their friends, their computers, to live in a field or whatever.

Anyway, I was in Aldi yesterday (like their red wine), but what a depressing experience. Most people don't even look up from their trolleys. They actually do look completely detached from everything around them. Such a deadening feeling to experience I sometimes feel I can't breathe in these places.

• I don't recognise this country as being my home at all anymore. People trying not to think because it's dangerous because then they'll realise how much they're being had. So they like to think I'm weird because I wonder why to everything and I do what makes sense to me and I can justify it. They can't justify why they run up £££'s of debt and work in a soul shrinking job all so they can have plasma tv's and brand new cars and look pretty. They only have 1 life and they seem to be wasting it away. And I'm the weird one?? Nah.

• Its a well documented fact amongst those who analyse the pyschosocial effects of economic recession/depression, people become more greedy, more selfish and the world becomes a whole lot more hostile. Im seeing the hostility out there, im feeling it.
    People are having to do a lot more to protect themselves, their families, their jobs etc

• Currently planning my own way to buy some land and detach myself, costs so much for the land i would ideally like. Guess i should be less picky!

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • What i always find, is work is such a cut throat thing, i've seen it many times, people will, lets say Poo, poo on you from a great height if they have to, to sort themselves out, rather than trying to do whats best for everyone in certain circumstances. For example, my girlfriend had tried a long time to get a job, manages to get a few hours at an office, after 2 years there about 8hours become free and need filling in, sombody else working there kicked up a huge fuss demanding she has entitlement to the hours having been there the longest, and that she loose her weekend shifts so she can use her caravan more in Devon. Ok fair enough, but my girlfriends hours were made up of shifts including weekends and evenings (the ones nobody wanted to do), then this woman was trying to drop her shifts and insist my girlfriend do them? Luckily the manager had her head screwed on and said the hours will be divided up fairly, which they were, and now my girlfriend does every other weekend and more shifts in the week. Cant believe how quick people are to try and screw over others and sort themselves out when it comes down to it. Knowing me and my other half only see each other on weekends anyway, it really ticked me off, but fairs fair and it all worked out ok. I know about the selling your soul for money thing though, im still doing it at the moment, but i do hate it, and the mentality and so on, but it pays ok, and i save alot, so hopfully i can pull the plug in a few short years.

• Well I've now become self-employed after not working for 4 years. In short, I'm not getting very far. I don't get paid for 8 weeks, I have about £100pw expenses to pay out in fuel to do the job and I am struck by the dodgy morality and rationale inherent in my role. I can't relax and feel like I'm being expected to join in dubious practices. I've realised that my hippy roots do indeed go deeper than the £1k a week I could earn. I am struggling with anxiety etc at the moment. It's just too much in Babylon and it's not right. I don't think I can fit myself in. But what to do for £? I've tried everything. I might just go and live in a community. I am suprised at how deeply angry I feel that I can't just work part-time in this new role, but my mind just won't be indoctrinated.