LDV Convoy camper conversion

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Nice van I'm thinking of getting an ldv convoy myself anything I should take into consideration when looking?

Couple of things off the top of my head, doubtless others with LDV experience can think of a few more.

Mine has the 2.5di Transit "banana" engine, so called because the inlet manifold looks like a bunch of bananas over the top of the engine. It has no computerised engine management so owners are freed from the tyranny of the engine light coming on for no apparent reason. Parts are cheap and readily available. Preferable to the later (2002 on) Duratorque engine which is known in the trade for engine management problems.

Rust. Go under with a torch and screwdriver and probe under the wheelarches, sills and rear valance. Look inside at the floor, as it rusts over the chassis rails and may not be obvious from underneath. Check around the seat mountings in the cab. They all seem to leak so expect to see treated rust and repairs.

Check the keys actually lock the doors, I have two lock mechanisms to replace for that reason.

Window winders wear out, make sure windows go all the way up.

[h=5]‎LDV/Freight Rover Convoy/Sherpa/Maxus/Pilot/Cub, Van/Camper/Day van is the Facebook page which I've found very informative.[/h]

• DSCF3675.JPG

Job pretty much finished now, the last thing to go in being the Julian stove. I've had it running in there and it's pretty effective at warming the place up. I've also hung some curtains insulated with more of the underfloor foam for wood flooring, they don't hang very well being somewhat stiff, but are excellent at keeping the heat in the living area. Come the warmer weather I'll cut the insulation off.

DSCF0275.JPG

Also, the tax authorities insisted on one side window being fitted, and while that isn't an EU requirement it's something I intended doing anyway as I had the caravan windows to plunder, so that's in. Lightens the inside up significantly too.

Got a nasty cough left over from a bout of flu, as soon as that's out of the way I'll be off to try it out!

• Great pics , i have the same van near enough im still trying out interiors ,done the draw it to scale and move things about but its not always ideal , thinking of nicking a couple of ideas from george clarks amazing spaces , we need to be able to park fairly easy hence the size of the van , travel about carrying small furniture to sell and sleep in it , ive just put the roof rack on so with a box on top it'll help .loving the stove .

• “Also, the tax authorities insisted on one side window being fitted, and while that isn't an EU requirement it's something I intended doing anyway“

Were r u m8? Tax authoroties? Do u mean the dvla 4 the camper class?

• I hope you get to enjoy life as much in yours as I do in mine. am loving the updates,especially that you have a julian burner fitted. Home is where the hearth is :D

I am having dinner with friends here in Brittany tonight and its a bit cold outside,so have put a few decent logs in my julian burner and am happy in the knowledge that I will be going out to a warm van later this evening thanks to Julian and his fine work.

Bonne voyage and very merry christmas,solstice or whatever

love and light

Fly xx

• Yes Vanman and lowconvoy, I imported the van as a panel van from the UK as I particularly wanted an LDV as I'd heard on this site that they are low tech and easily fixed, an essential requirement if it's going to be used away from home and workshop. I figured, incorrectly as it turned out, that most of the faults would lie with the Ford engine and transmission, parts for which are easily found in Ireland. Of course what's gone wrong has largely been brakes, which are not only peculiar to LDV's and therefore hard to get here, but are only fitted to the rarer 2.8t single rear wheel Convoy! Made a rod for my own back in getting that model, but I was attracted by the large wheel, high ground clearance aspect. Not 4x4 but can be driven down rutted tracks with confidence so long as the surface is firm.

Yep Wurzel, Co Mayo - you've figured out the Irish registration system! Quite sensible, unusually for the place, as the first two figures give the year of first registration (01) and the "10" in the rest of the numbers tells you it was imported second hand. The letters represent the county. No elitist personal registrations here either, you get what you're given!

Thanks Fly. Same to you mate, Brittany sounds good give my regards to Asterix.

• That's very kind of you vanman84. Fortunately my son in law works round the corner from LDV dealers the Heathrow Van Centre, so he's able to get parts for me. What's the name of the place you know, it wouldn't hurt to build up my list of suppliers.

• That's very kind of you vanman84. Fortunately my son in law works round the corner from LDV dealers the Heathrow Van Centre, so he's able to get parts for me. What's the name of the place you know, it wouldn't hurt to build up my list of suppliers.

Its Carmicheals also West london. I put the full details in the supplyers thread mate.

• Thanks. I've spent time in my van recently and had the log burner going for over 3 days.
    Minor issues given the basicness of my effort. :)

Rock'n'roll ...Frame.

(basicness?? )

• That's bad grammar frame69. The correct word is basicalityishness!

I considered a water heater, but preferring something simple that works to something complex that's likely to break down, I just use the kettle either on the gas hob or the stove top. A water heater does give the option of rigging up a shower hose though.

• Convoy back axles are known for grumbling, at high mileages (over 200,000 it seems) they need rebuilding, although as this might just mean bearing replacement it's not something to scrap them for. Might be worth having a look at the intermediate propshaft bearing as they've been known to play up, give it a wiggle to check for excess movement sideways.

• Ah, the shoe adjusters. Look as if someone put a load of those wire puzzles you get in Christmas crackers between the brake shoes and backplate. I chucked them out and adjust the brakes using the manual adjustment.