Why do you want to live on the road?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Fair enough, but why do u want to?

hello,

its not an easy straightforward answer, for me at least.

i have lived in a house while my kids were growing up, but my mindseye was always looking out to the mountains and the sea,holidays were always in the landrover and a small tent, and always in more remote areas, away from the crowds, and general society. when my relationship ended, i bought a cheap boat, and loved the self isolation, mixed with a small amount of socializing with fellow liveaboards, waking up to the gentle sound of water lapping against the boat, pushing the hatch open, and watching the swans glide past, feeding the crazy seagulls, no kids driving about in hot hatches, no noise, aside from natural sounds. yes it was cold in winter, i didnt have standing headroom, the living space was 6ft wide, by 12ft long, and 4.3ft headroom ( i am 6ft tall ) and in strong winds, occasionally i had to sleep in the landy..but aside from all the ups and downs, i felt disconnected ( by choice) from the run of the mill way of life that most people buy into....and very cliched, at one with whatever the elements chucked at me.

i think having a certain mindset plays a reasonable part, for me anyway.

• Hey
    Im probably one of the young ones on here at 26, I work full time (though could easily be fine on half of that) and I park up between a few different places I use often
    They differ from my friends street, hidden laybys (used to store gravel atm sadly), national trust car park, reservoir car park and wherever else. Never get any bother or stopped by police or wardens but it could be due to being in a traditional motor home now rather than my old converted merc.
    I do it for a lot of reasons rather than a specific one
    Cheap living, freedom, money saving, less of a environmental footprint, being out and about and it's exciting. Every day is different and you never know what to expect :) one other thing also is the appreciation of things, water, electricity gas and everything you can use as much of in a house, it all has to be calculated and looked over. It gets you more aware and informed and used to these situations

• I don't live on the road just yet. Just bought a van and plan on moving in full time in September with my other half when the contract on our flat is up. This thread has got me really excited.
    Why we want to, well, its something I've always wanted to do, to be closer to the outdoors and move away from reliance on all the mod cons and to get out of that brick box that eats all out money. Er... Into a van that will eat all our money... Hoping to save some money as well, that's an added bonus really. Its the freedom and adventure I'm looking forward to and facing all the challenges that go with it, being outside my comfort zone.
    Thanks for the inspiration :-)

• Hey
    Im probably one of the young ones on here at 26, I work full time (though could easily be fine on half of that)

Good on you ! I find that I only have to work half the hours I used to do...work in chunks and then go away in chunks...thankfully my work allows me to do this

• For me it is about having a very simple life, being peaceful and free, not worrying about how I can pay the rent and all the bills, which
    as a single person it is impossible to do. I love my little house on wheels, I am well known where I live in a market town with a 5000 population, most people know I live in the van, people are always asking to have a look in it, I don't get any trouble from police or anyone, I am always open to people that I live in my campervan, I don't hide it, so I think that puts people at ease.

Vandwelling is definitely on the rise, I am coming across more and more people living in their vans, sign of the times I suppose -
    housing cost are just too high, and I think a lot of people really want to simplify their lives, not be a slave to all the bills.

The only person who has a problem with my vandwelling is my son, he won't accept it, he does everything he can to get me to sell
    my van, he just doesn't/won't understand that it makes me happy and it is part of who I am, omg we have some battles about it.

I also love it when you come across a fellow vandweller always interesting to hear their story because we all have a story :)

Dolly

• The only person who has a problem with my vandwelling is my son, he won't accept it, he does everything he can to get me to sell
    my van, he just doesn't/won't understand that it makes me happy and it is part of who I am, omg we have some battles about it.

Dolly

Sorry that your son doesn't/wont accept your lifestyle :o/ Maybe in time and perhaps he is just worried about you... My kids and grandkids have been wonderful I must admit. They are so curious and know that I'm as mad as a box of frogs anyway :o) into my 4th midlife crisis and loving it!

• I'm a recent convert to van dwelling after 4 years living on my boat in a Marina, so less tied down than before & no Marina fees to pay. UK isn't very conducive to living on the sea at anchor or on a mooring. Now have a boat in Greece where I go for up to a couple of months in spring & autumn that doesn't cost much to keep there on a mooring. I work ft when I'm here, have a few parkups to use, also use caravan club sites sometimes. I'm 48 now, can't see myself going back to living in bricks & mortar anytime soon...