Cancelling TV Licence?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I just got a 'reminder' from the TV licencing people that my licence expires tonight! I didn't receive any reminders at all about it this month, so I thought I might have got my dates wrong and it was due to expire at the end of next month. I'd been planning to cancel it anyway, but I don't have any choice now since there's only a few quid left in the bank till I get paid.

I was still undecided about what exactly I should do with the TV though. Obviously I'll be disconnecting the areal, and it receives zero signal without it. I know they say you're allowed to still watch DVDs on it so long as it doesn't receive a live signal, but I'm still worried about getting grief about it. The TV's next to the downstairs window in the sitting room (nowhere else to put it!), so I'm worried about anyone who might come to check making the assumption that I'm still using it. All the advice I've read says not to let them in, but if I was to let them in and could demonstrate that it doesn't receive a signal then they'd have to leave it at that, wouldn't they? There's also an old satellite dish (came with the house, has never worked) leading out from that corner, so that might further fuel their suspicions if they could only see the TV from the outside. I think I'd better see if I can remove that, just in case.

Or I could just remove it altogether and not worry about it at all, but if I'm within my rights to use it for DVDs then I'd like to do that!

Any experiences to share, especially of what happens when you let them in the house?

• *from Citizens advice regarding TV license.*

You need a TV Licence to use any television-receiving equipment to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV. These include programmes on the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, cable and satellite television. Television-receiving equipment includes:

• TV sets
    • set-top boxes
    • DVD recorders
    • video recorders
    • computers and laptops
    • mobile phones or other battery-operated devices
    • games consoles.

You don't need a television licence if a TV set cannot receive TV programmes and is used only:

• for close circuit monitoring
    • for watching pre-recorded videos or DVDs
    • as a computer monitor
    • to play computer games.

You don't need a TV licence if you only ever watch catch-up services, like BBC i-Player, that let you watch programmes after they have been broadcast.

I wasn't sure myself so I checked it out. Interesting about the catch up tv, It seems that if you watch live TV on a laptop / PC then you need a license but if you watch something after it has first been broadcast then apparently you do not.

• They need a court warrant to be allowed into the house, so should they knock, tell them to go away.

Mine isn't connected either, and I've had dozens of letters telling me they've "opened an investigation" against me... and nothing has happened because they have no proof I'm watching live TV. I don't open the door to strangers without an appointment anyway.

• Beachcomber , with the greatest of respect ,

Just bloody well refuse them entry at the door , !!!
    Now if you dont feel you can then refer back to ecobobs post .

:waves:

• *from Citizens advice regarding TV license.*

I wasn't sure myself so I checked it out. Interesting about the catch up tv, It seems that if you watch live TV on a laptop / PC then you need a license but if you watch something after it has first been broadcast then apparently you do not.

Your post makes absolute sense ,But i have a question , {and am accepting you know more than me But

I have a laptop , i dont have a telly ,

Sometimes i watch live T.V. on it ,other times maybe catch up programmes ,

Am i to assume that if i ever let an inspector into my property and he seen my laptop on my coffee table , he would accept my word that i only watch catch up and dont view live programmes .

Or would i have to explain to the Magistrate when i appeared in court , and would they believe me .

:waves:

• My experience - I cancelled my Virgin just as the licence I had expired - I got maybe a letter a month requesting renewal - then a few letters with bold "This Property is under investigation" or some such blarney then nothing. They also warn you about watching on PC or laptops but it seems you are allowed to watch catch up TV ie not at time of broadcast. That said we hear about detector vans but as far as I am aware there has never been a prosecution reliant on any evidence from such.

If you’re using any television-receiving equipment to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV and don’t have a licence, you are breaking the law and could be prosecuted.

If TV Licensing suspect you do not have a television licence, a TV Licensing enquiry officer will visit you to check. Ask to see the enquiry officer's identification card. They must also tell you the purpose of the visit. You don't have to let the enquiry officer into your home, especially if you are vulnerable or elderly. But if you do, they will carry out a brief inspection of the main living areas. If you do not let the enquiry officer in, they may apply to a magistrates' court (sheriff court in Scotland) for a search warrant.
    If you are taken to court but you have a good reason for not having a licence and plead guilty, this may help to reduce your fine. For example, you simply forgot to get a licence and didn’t realise it had run out, or didn’t understand that it was your responsibility to get the licence within your household. It may also help if you buy a licence as soon as TV licensing contact you or before the court case. A copy of the licence should be sent to the court to help your case.

see here

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/…s_e/about_tv_licences.htm

• Best thing i did was to stop the tv license. Had the visits and tokd them to get naffed ;) you.dont need it for laptops. Catch up tv does noy need a license but if you watch it live as its broadcasted then you do need one (they dont know that ;) ) Mick - license free for 6 years now.

• Hi Andy ,

What im trying to get at here {just to figure things for my own interest }

We know you can watch things without a licence if there not live , but in my experiance with the law , they dont have to prove you did , its the defendent who has to prove he didnt .

Then the Magistrate takes an ajournment ,comes back in and says theres a case to answer or there is no case .

So to me its hit or miss if you can get away with saying you only watch none live T.V.iether to the inspector {they never say at the time what they think {for there own safety i suppose and avoid hostilities } but make a report out and you/we recieve a court date with 50 other defendents in one room .

• There is this

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/no-licence-needed/index.app

and any letters they sent to me had a form to fill out with the same declaration.

• There is this

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/no-licence-needed/index.app

and any letters they sent to me had a form to fill out with the same declaration.

Thanks Andy ,

One of my problems i have is the older im getting the more i distrust the system and some of the officialdom and people who serve in it .

Experianced that much nonsense out of them , even winging there jobs ,that goes for C.A.B as well .
    Can tell you tales of that place but not on open forum {helpfull wannabees that some know jack shit , }
    Some maybe do , but you gotta sort out whos who .

Wont babble on mate , {otherwise i"ll get taken away in a straight jacket } :lol:

• House has a TV, and a license. I turn up to stay for the weekend, with laptop.
    Connect to the wifi.
    If I then run a TV player, to watch a live transmission, I am told before the display starts that I need a license to view this program.
    I have to click on a button to say yes I am licensed.
    If I watch a catch up program then it just starts, no questions asked.

Clicking on that button to say yes I have a license to watch can be tracked on my laptop.
    It can be tracked by my ISP as data sent to the internet home of the player (BBC, ITV, C4 or whoever)

That data, could be produced in a court to say that on Saturday afternoon, I watched the live transmission of the cycling race.
    I am not licensed.
    My room is not licensed.
    I would have to prove that my laptop had been used in a licensed premises by a licensed person, which I could do because the ISP would be my friends not mine!

Beachcomber: you do need to make the satellite dish inoperable. Remove the 'collector' on the end of the arm, or take down the whole dish. A cloth or throw over the TV set to 'hide' it from view, with a DVD case or two on top. Because you don't watch it constantly, it is covered up. You do not want to give them any excuse to harass you, you are too nice a person for that.
    :beard:

• Hi oddballdave ,

That also makes sense what you said {didnt realise about how they could track in that way } but yes it makes sense . I dont have a licence but click i do , never had a licence ,{even didnt bother when i got caught about 12 yrs ago } just paid the fine . Not saying its clever . but £160 , pays for half the van insurance , {tv licencing a complete rip off }

But thanks for the reply .

• Not sure what is meant by "licensed person" here. But whatever if anything what proof do they have of who was useing any given laptop.

But there is good news - if you are in jail and have a tv in your cell - you do not need a licence.

• My old TV license allowed me to use a set in a location that was not in my regular home, their example was a caravan.
    That was ME, I was licensed.
    It also included 'my family' so my partner would have to prove she was 'family' to be licensed.

It is a very poorly worded document, open to interpretation and a lawyer could/would argue the case that YOU were not the named person, the location was not the named address so you were watching without a license.

As the named person, regardless of my location, I was licensed.

The proof is that 'someone' used the device. Even if no one actually was watching, the program was shown. As the owner of the building, you have to prove it was not you, BY TELLING THEM WHO it was. As the owner of the PC, my proof is that I tell them WHO it was. In the same way that you can dispute a speeding fine, it wasn't you driving, you must tell them who it was. If you cannot or will not nominate someone then you are the legally responsible entity therefore you will be held liable and taken to court.

In a culture of blame, somebody will be held accountable.

:beard: who visits elderly relations if he wants to watch something 'live'.
    (Usually because it won't be put up on the player channels)

• I have been TV Licence free for 14 years now. We had a neighbour at our old work unit who reported us to the licencing department because we had an antenna on my Airstream that we had stored outside.

I received a letter asking me if we thought we needed a TV Licence and I filled out the form and sent it back and I never heard another thing about it.

When we were planning to become No Fixed Abode 14 years ago I contacted the TV Licencing department and asked if I needed a licence for my van. They said no because if we stayed on a campsite the owners would have a licence to cover us and if we were on the road we didn't require a licence.

The only time we have any problems is when we buy a new TV. The retailer cannot sell you a TV without your address. I normally go to the shop armed with the address of the shop including the postcode and I give them that. We have never been challenged over this. They are happy they have an address and normally don't realise you have given them the address of the shop.

I think I read somewhere that if you are of NFA then you can use the address of where you are at any moment as your abode. I'm not sure how true that is but since I read that I have used the above method to buy a TV

aman

• Ever since the huge influx of reality TV my interest in television has gone right out of the window. As a student I had no time for TV and didn't own one, consequently when I moved to a job in radio I didnt miss it when my first flat didnt have a TV. The second flat did and it was only ever turned on for the 'X- Files'. :D I have never been much of a fan of TV. I prefer radio, hence the job, music or books. Now that I'm studying again I'm normally too busy even if someone offered to pay for our licence and a Sky box we would both turn it down. My husband would need the living room fitted with a loop system to hear the damn thing properly. No point.

Glorified gogglebox :eek:

• Ever since the huge influx of reality TV my interest in television has gone right out of the window. As a student I had no time for TV and didn't own one, consequently when I moved to a job in radio I didnt miss it when my first flat didnt have a TV. The second flat did and it was only ever turned on for the 'X- Files'. :D I have never been much of a fan of TV. I prefer radio, hence the job, music or books. Now that I'm studying again I'm normally too busy even if someone offered to pay for our licence and a Sky box we would both turn it down. My husband would need the living room fitted with a loop system to hear the damn thing properly. No point.

Glorified gogglebox :eek:

Chewing gum for the eyes, all tv is

• Well I filled out the form on the website, and unplugged the areal. I'm going to see if I can remove the satellite dish at some point, until then I'm going to try and detach that box thing like oddballdave says, just in case. The website said they'd write to me within 10 days - I don't know how long they're likely to take to arrange a home visit (hopefully never).

• My mate aint got a telly hasnt for years. They write to him, he phones up telling that hes not got a telly, or a computer for that.
    A year or so later they rite to him again, he fones up. Year later they write to him n you get the gist

What you going to point ur furniture at if not the telly?

• My mate aint got a telly hasnt for years. They write to him, he phones up telling that hes not got a telly, or a computer for that.
    A year or so later they rite to him again, he fones up. Year later they write to him n you get the gist

What you going to point ur furniture at if not the telly?

What you talking about Furniture for ?

• Well thats simple, if you have a telly you point ur furniture at it. So you can see it from every seat, if you dont have a telly what you going to point ur chairs, sofa ect at?
    If i was a telly licence inspector n all ur furniture was pointed at the telly u dont use n dont have a license for i would be well sus
    I would be far more likely to believe it wasnt watched if ur seats weren't pointed straight at it.
    Thats all, i think its a valid point

• We haven't had a TV license for nearly 2 years. It's really simple. Cancel the license, go online and fill in the declaration and that's it. We had a visit about a fortnight after we filled in the declaration but no-one was home anyway. They never came back. They have no right of entry into your home and would need a court order as someone's already said. We still have our satellite dish but all the set top boxes have been dismantled and packed away. I can't say as we've actually missed TV programmaes as they were mostly crap anyway.

• Well thats simple, if you have a telly you point ur furniture at it. So you can see it from every seat, if you dont have a telly what you going to point ur chairs, sofa ect at?
    If i was a telly licence inspector n all ur furniture was pointed at the telly u dont use n dont have a license for i would be well sus
    I would be far more likely to believe it wasnt watched if ur seats weren't pointed straight at it.
    Thats all, i think its a valid point

So if you went to Court are you saying that theres more chance of being found Guilty/Innocent depending on the layout of the room even without the presrence of a telly .

Seems there tightening up the Laws eh :insane:

God help me if they find out ive got 2 pillows on me bed , ,they"ll think im co habitating .

• So if you went to Court are you saying that theres more chance of being found Guilty/Innocent depending on the layout of the room even without the presrence of a telly .

Seems there tightening up the Laws eh :insane:

God help me if they find out ive got 2 pillows on me bed , ,they"ll think im co habitating .

NO!!!
    If you have taken the 1kg of lead n the 2kg of copper out o ur telly, binned the rest n got ur money fae the scrappy then u cant point ur furniture at it!!!
    If youve still got the telly in the room claiming you dont use or watch it then your lucky in not a judge!
    What im trying to say is, why would you still own and point ur furniture at a telly you dont use?
    So assuming u dont actually have a telly in the room, what do u point ur furniture at?

• NO!!!
    If you have taken the 1kg of lead n the 2kg of copper out o ur telly, binned the rest n got ur money fae the scrappy then u cant point ur furniture at it!!!
    If youve still got the telly in the room claiming you dont use or watch it then your lucky in not a judge!
    What im trying to say is, why would you still own and point ur furniture at a telly you dont use?
    So assuming u dont actually have a telly in the room, what do u point ur furniture at?

I dont know what the Fuck your talking about .
    Do you think i should go for a Cup of Tea and have another think about what this Forum is about .

• We don't have a licence because we don't have a working aerial! Only catch up iplayer is watched. Every 2-3 years I get another letter and reply that no we still don't use TV and therefore don't need a licence. 10 years ago they threatened a home visit so I rang them and said "absolutely no problem, but please could they come in an unmarked van as it's a small Welsh village and I didn't want gossip starting". No more visit mutterings. Personally I'd quite like them to arrive cos I'd love to show the defunct aerial hanging upside down with the wires out and ask them how they think it would get a picture. :-)

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well" Mother Julian of Norwich