No Fixed Abode

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Great advice on here! I've been 'no fixed abode' for 6 months and thankfully use my daughters address as a postal address. I have found it useful to request that no mail is sent by some contacts (docs bank etc) and everyone I have requested this from have been ok with it...they have my mobile number/e-mail address. It just saves me having to bob over to hers to collect it as some mail looks important from the outside and then ends up being something stupid! My van insurance company gives an option of living full time in my van and quotes accordingly plus the documents are sent by e-mail...ideal!

• Great advice on here! I've been 'no fixed abode' for 6 months and thankfully use my daughters address as a postal address. I have found it useful to request that no mail is sent by some contacts (docs bank etc) and everyone I have requested this from have been ok with it...they have my mobile number/e-mail address. It just saves me having to bob over to hers to collect it as some mail looks important from the outside and then ends up being something stupid! My van insurance company gives an option of living full time in my van and quotes accordingly plus the documents are sent by e-mail...ideal!

Would be interested to know what insurance company you use as we live full time in the van ,at the moment we use my parents address and I'm on the electoral list so no probs at the moment as far as insurance goes, but you never know about the future, I know Comfort do fulltimers insurance but have never heard of any others.......Mark

• do you have utility/tax bills as evidence? im being asked for those

• do you have utility/tax bills as evidence? im being asked for those

Nope.
    Utilities:
    Gas on a card - no bill in the last three years
    Electricity on a key - no bill in last two years

Water on a card - bill is not in my name

Council tax - again not in my name

If the insurance broker demands any of these things, I would go find a different broker.

:beard: living in a field 100 miles from home, learning all about bicycles.

• Glad you're sorted:) Good luck with finding the right wheels!

Cheers RF, it's been hectic clearing the house of furniture , doing car boot sales, etc etc. I still think I have too many belongings so a bit more shedding the load to go yet before I have to ship out of this pad, which is very , very soon!

I've been messed about a bit re the wheels but all came good today and placed a deposit on my new home... a Hymer E690! :D

• hello,

if you use..for example boatmail, and the mailing address is in southern england, the insurance quotes will be extremely high compared to what i would be quoted on the isle of skye ? (my landrover was £200 when i lived in cumbria, but doubled when i briefly lived in lancashire..and as i intend to buy a small truck to convert...providing i sell my boat :cool:)

being quite a loner, i dont have access to friends/family addresses, unless a nice lady comes along, and hope she has some sort of address :whistle:

so..are the address at these remailing companies all down south ?

thanks

• Hello,

I have a mid-longterm project to buy a van and live on the cheap. With regard to giving a postal address, I wonder if one can give the address of one of these self-storage companies.

Have you noticed that many, if not most, uk-based Ebay sellers have their legal address at one of these companies? For example: John XXX, Unit 45, Self storage, somewhere. The company holds the goods for them, presumably they could also store plain mail. The cost of a self storage unit nowadays is quite cheap and it's a good way to keep your excess clothes, stuff, etc.

Any ideas and comments welcome.

• Hi all.

I joined up here as I was looking for information.

My story,

I had a very successful bar and coffee shop.
    2 lovely kids, a lovely wife and a big house.

Then the smoking ban and recession came along and i lost it all.

The lovely wife ran off with her lovely new husband. The kids don't like being with me as i don't have money to burn any more .
    The house is still fantastic but its no longer mine. Its ex wife's now and the kids.

The bar brought me around 60k of debts which I have been try to deal with whilst working in other bars as either manager, bar supervisor, bar man, pot wash etc.

When i divorced her i gave her the house and i took the debts.
    I didnt want my kids losing their home and did what most men should do I suppose. No dramas.

She gave me 20k and i spent it on debts.

Well now my credit history is in a bad bad state.
    I don't have a permanent home.
    I do relief pub management but move around so much. I am self employed in my trade. let me explain how it all works out.

I get 15% net of the take from the till.
    I dont pay rent .
    sounds great.

so every £100 in the till I collect £12.
    £1000 will net me £120.

The catch....All the pubs I HAVE to take our very very nasty pubs that take around 2/4 k a week.
    So I have to work as many hours in the 7 days as I can and if I do pay staff it comes out of my commission.

Some weeks I work 80plus hours and dont earn a penny.
    By the time the staff are paid I have nothing left.

Its a vicious circle I cant escape from.
    If I leave im homeless and lets face it, who will hire an old man who is deeply in debt.

So my problem is...I have not registered myself as self employed nor paid any tax. I pay the staff cash in hand at every pub I work at. So far I have had 9 pubs in the last 18 months.

The creditors I owe money to dont know where I am, the courts who forced me to pay these debts dont know where I am. My bank account, passport, and driving licence will all soon expire..

If I was to do this Boat Mail thing,would I inflict this poor man with big ugly debt collectors on his door step?

I have decided I will never pay tax any more. I wont claim any benefits when the time comes that I am homeless, I will just go walk about .
    But whilst im still healthy and working for my free accommodation I wont be paying bills any more as i cant afford them.

So the thing is. I need to do my driving licence and passport and bank card before they run out, but do I use one of these boat mail places and put them under risk of debt collectors?

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you.

• Could you find a cheap flat to rent for a couple of weeks while you get the documents sorted? Maybe find one you could pay in cash.?

' When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place '

• You wont be in any danger of inflicting debt collectors on a mail forwarder. Despite the inherent knuckle dragging intelligence of DC's and the like I think they are just about savvy enough to know that the street addresses are ones that no one lives at. Let's face it, B/M probably has upwards of 500 people using the address for documents, insurance and so on.
    Anyway, debt collectors cannot just "turn up" and can do nothing without an "invite". Dont worry and just go ahead. Better a forwarding agent such as B/M than using a friends/relative address imo.

• Hi have been reading this with interest!
    I will be full timing later in the year.
    My sister is more than happy for me to use her address for driving licence, insurance etc........BUT she is single and gets single council tax reduction. If I use her address can it cause her a problem in the future?
    Would be great to hear if anyone has any experience of this.

• gets single council tax reduction. If I use her address can it cause her a problem in the future?
    Would be great to hear if anyone has any experience of this.

Get on the electoral roll at that address with a postal vote.
    Shows that you are just using the address for paperwork, not for actual residence, as far as the great machine is concerned.
    :beard:

• Thank you for the reply.
    There seem to be about a million threads on the fulltiming address dilemma across the internet!
    I've got it down to 2 choices........use a service like boatmail or use my sisters address and if somewhere down the line the council tax is questioned I can give her the money to make up the difference.

• [INDENT]I left the wife, gave her the house and divorced her...I shouldered 40k worth of debts, went homeless after time and I am now after nearly ten years starting to make a better life for myself.

So I tried to change the address on my driving licence to boatmail as I was and am still squatting in someones council flat...I dont have a banks account, pay council tax, have an id besides my driving licence and passport..I work sometimes as a bar man..I don't claim any help..I survive......
    I paid around 10k debts, maybe more..I binned the rest.
    Times have been hard at times...I wont go into it, as we all have problems, but times have been hard.
    Now, I wont pay anymore debts..I feel I have paid my dues.

So I see on here about Boatmail...I payed £150 to BM and tried to soprt my driving licence to BM.
    DVLC says its not a real address, and turned me down.
    I wrote back and says I dont live there but need an address as Im homeless...they wrote back and asked me to put the driving licence in a family member or a friends address then.

So I responded and changed the address to a friends address.
    They refused, they now want ID..Utilities, bank accounts etc..No photocopies, they want the originals.

So, I phoned them.
    Gave them a ref number and explained what was going on.

Now they want my friend to send them his ID , his bank account details, utilities etc and a cover letter.

How difficult is this..??
    My friend does not want any bailiffs banging on the door and refuses.

So,,,im £150 out of pocket, and no where nearer sorting out this mess Im in...any ideas???Can DVLC really say no?

When you go on line and change your address they just do it,,but when you post it to them they seem to change.

Any advice would be good.[/INDENT]

[h=2]Your Message[/h]