WELL, HERE GOES.................................... .

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Are the templates covering the sky, with the buildings cut into the bottom edge?
    So you work from the top of the board downwards?
    Thanks
    Rich

Yes that's it. cut into the bottom edge of the card to give the template of the buildings, distant mountains etc. One piece of card per template. Card will make them reusable. Always work from top to bottom when doing city/landscapes so sky then middle distance then foreground using the top of the template to mask the rest of the work from over spray.

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• The Easter holidays are at an end & here goes with a little report as to my progress thus far. Overall the weather remained kind so that was a massive bonus & no doubt helps enormously in generating the following figures. Overall I managed to sell 41 prints at £5 each which equals £205 & worked out below my daily target figure. A couple of days I sold ziltch & my best day I sold five. I did however sell a total of nine original watercolours ( little A5 & A4 sized things) priced cheaply to sell at £15 & £20 because they only take me about 15 minutes each to do, which totaled £170. So for the two weeks & a total of approximately 11 days out & spending an average of five hours a day I managed to earn a grand total of £375. Now I am into the swing of things I know where I have gone wrong, what sells & what doesn't & will modify my approach accordingly.

An unexpected bonus came my way however in the shape of an elderly couple who are members of a local art group. I spoke to them a couple of times at length as they passed by &, after consulting with the rest of the group, invited me to join them as a guest tutor, teaching them watercolours for an hour for a fee of £30! Needless to say I went along one afternoon & they must have liked what I did because they have re booked me for next week. The old couple have also asked me if I would care to give them some private lessons at their home for £15 an hour. I have yet to finalise this but will do so on the next visit to the art class. So if you add the £30 into the mix I have made myself £405. I don't think that's too shabby for a fifth rate artist like myself.

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• That sounds very good.
    It all helps towards the quieter months.
    And we'll have none of this putting yourself down malarkey.
    I'm sure you're very good, especially as you got asked back.
    Another month and it will be May bank holiday, so you could be busy for another few days
    Rich

• My problem is that I may bore people with things I am enthusiastic about. If feel this may be the case here &, as such I won't post further about art & stuff but, please believe me when I say all I was trying to do was demonstrate how someone who lives outside the system can pay their own way in this world by methods they may not have considered.

Just one parting thing, an example of a watercolour of mine just to show the sort of thing I am doing on my own little expedition. Sorry for the watermark but I once posted a painting elsewhere only to have it reappear a while later claiming to be painted by someone else!
    waiting for the tide - Copy.jpg
    Hope you like it & apologies once again if I have bored anyone.

• What makes you think you are boring anyone?
    I love this thread.
    I've been collecting spray paint and cereal boxes.
    No pressure if you really want to stop posting, it would be a shame though

• not boring at all, would be nice to hear how your doing and few more tutorials etc, interesting stuff imho. wish i had the confidence to intereact with the general population and do something like you do, how do you find it? doesnt it make you nervous being out there with folk looking at you and stuff?

• If ppl dont like or are bored with ur posts then they wont read or reply to them. Although painting n art arent really up my street i still read ur posts just to find out how its going for you. Im going to be nomadic soon so its still an interesting read
    Good luck with it all n keep us posted

• I too am interested because these days people equate making money to having a job, when in fact like you are doing it is showing there is another way to earn money and enjoy yourself at the same time.

Good luck
    Ian

• Well thanks to you all. I think when you are living alone you can get a little obsessive about things which are both irrelevant & unimportant to others. I just didn't want to continue posting & boring people into the bargain. Financially I continue to remain in the black. It's bank holiday tomorrow & afterwards - well we shall see. I hope I am proving that people like us, who wish to live outside the 'normal' parameters, are able to do so & be self financing into the bargain. We are all blessed with one amazingly powerful tool, our imaginations, & if we can utilise that tool to its best advantage in an artistic capacity I am of the opinion that the sky really is the limit. Sorry I'm rambling again.

• Glad you are back.
    The beauty of this little corner of the internet is you are free to be who you want to be.
    Think of it as your virtual home.
    That's how I see it.
    It's chock full of lovely people who care about each other.
    You have captured our hearts and minds and I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing for some time to give your tutorials a try.
    The idea of a little extra funding through my own imagination is something I had never considered until you posted. Now I can see for the first time it may be possible.
    All the very best to you for the Bank holiday.

• All continues to go well for me. I am still fortunate enough to continue making a modest income from painting & as a result can cover all financial bases. Overall the weather continues to be kind. I've been wanting to make my 'experiment' a reality for some years & now I am it is working out more or less as I had hoped which proves that with a little bit of practice anyone can earn their keep in this fashion.

If anyone is interested I can pick up where I left off with the tutorials.

• I'm glad it's working out for you.
    I have to admit I'm envious of you.
    So from me and I'm sure many others please carry on.
    I'm getting an awning hopefully today, which will become my workshop /studio. I will have a little more room then to practice then.
    ATB
    Rich

• All continues to go well for me. I am still fortunate enough to continue making a modest income from painting & as a result can cover all financial bases. Overall the weather continues to be kind. I've been wanting to make my 'experiment' a reality for some years & now I am it is working out more or less as I had hoped which proves that with a little bit of practice anyone can earn their keep in this fashion.

If anyone is interested I can pick up where I left off with the tutorials.

Yes please = the tutorials were really good and inspiring

• I'm still doing my thing & sweating to a frazzle in all this heat! Great British summer!

• Hi frazzled here too, just been thro the thread, really nice work, waffle and tut away, water colours are my let down, ok with pencil work and oils, but water colours look like something my 2 yr old grand daughters done, lol, glad your making a go of things x

• Hi frazzled here too, just been thro the thread, really nice work, waffle and tut away, water colours are my let down, ok with pencil work and oils, but water colours look like something my 2 yr old grand daughters done, lol, glad your making a go of things x

I'd like to see some of your work, including the watercolours. It's a fact that a lot of folks get intimidated by them when really they're not all that difficult to do. The thing you really need when attempting watercolours are good brushes - you simply cannot use those cheap ones, they don't work. Try heavyweight paper too, I use "300lb not" it can take a lot of water & thus is really good for 'wet in wet' work. The boat I painted which features in this thread was painted on such paper.

I will get round to the spray paint tutorial as soon as I am able but I've been busy & not had time to get onto the forum.

• So my little experiment draws to a close & what a summer it's been. All in all people seemed to take to the idea of seeing someone painting en plein air. I can report that I have been able to cover all my living expenses & actually even managed to save enough money to act as a decent slush fund to see me through some of the lean winter had I been planning on making this arrangement permanent. I was greatly helped by the weather which allowed me to get out there to what turned out to be some good tourist spots. I also had the pleasure of handing over a few of my paintings for auction by a couple of charity groups & raising about £600 for deserving causes.

• Post by Fire-Tree ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Congrats, just read thread from start to finish, brilliant!

Why thank you kind sir. I hope you may have taken some inspiration from my ramblings & decide to have a go at some artwork yourself.

• I've just come back after another season of travelling. I've been to quite a few interesting places over the past months & I still managed to finance myself by selling paintings to tourists.

Yes I bumped this thread but have done so in the hope it may give an idea of how someone wishing to pursue a nomadic existence can keep their heads above water in the financial sense of the word by turning their hand to producing art.

• Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences - loved this thread. Would be great to hear about your future adventures.

Thank you for your kind words. I shall be setting off on my next little tour in March or April. I don't know where I'm headed until I get there. I had thought about Spain but have decided to stick to the UK & once more I shall be relying on my ham fisted attempts at producing art to finance my time on the road.

I still maintain that it is a good way for anyone to make a little cash - all you need to do is follow the instructions as pointed out in previous posts.