WELL, HERE GOES.................................... .

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hello everyone. I am just about to embark on my summer adventure (albeit a little adventure in terms of what some of you get up to) & will shortly be hooking my little touring caravan up & heading off to the coast. I know where I'm headed but have deliberately not over planned beyond that - a pinch of uncertainty adding to my anticipation. This is a dry run for the future, spending six months caravan dwelling & making my living (well hopefully anyway) as an artist. That last part is thus; I will be setting up my easel at various 'choke points' in seaside towns & painting & hopefully selling originals - but more likely prints - to the tourists. The prints will be priced at a fiver a pop. My aim is to cover my expenses, anything beyond that is a bonus. I know I can make money from my artwork as I have been doing so for the past twelve years or so but I want to try & make it give me a living. I hope to keep you all updated over the coming months.

Wish me luck.................

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Just checking my MBB is working. Settling in for my first night. I'm on a caravan site just outside dear old Skeggy & am hoping to cash in on the Easter holiday trade (weather permitting of course ;)). Although I'm doing watercolours & oils - the latter in hot weather the stuff I do will be just really for demo purposes - I am hoping to sell signed ltd edition prints, at a fiver a time it should be within the grasp of most people. A few years ago I did a bit of 'spray art' at an event. basically that is using car spray paint to make artwork. I couldn't do them fast enough & was selling those at a fiver each. From memory I believe I sold about twenty in the space of about three hours. Perhaps not everyone can do the 'traditional' art thing but I would like to point you in the direction of that particular medium as it is quick & very easy to master & could perhaps prove a bit of a money spinner for those who want to have a go. There are loads of how to guides on you tube & I post one here as a taster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdB9xiU5U7M

As an alternative to spray paints you can use felt tip pens & a little gadget found in most toy stores which acts as a sort of compressor/spray gun & blows the ink off the end of the pen. A lot less messy & can be safely used indoors if you want to build up stock to sell - You can do almost exactly the same effects as using paint.

Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

• Hey Andy. You should really give the above a try, it is as simple as it looks but when your doing it in front of a crowd it never fails to impress them & that usually translates into sales. To do it on the cheap you can use old cereal boxes instead of paper (whatever you use must have one 'shiny' side on which you paint). I managed to get hold of a consignment of misprinted posters which had been thrown out from a printers shop - all glossy & ideal. As for paint that can be had from pound stores so you see you can set yourself up for minimum outlay. A days practice should see you get the gist of the thing. Best to paint on the flat & put a protective cover down. Not good it it's windy & hot weather makes the paint dry uber fast so you have to be quick.

As for prints (from watercolours only) I always paint no larger than A4 size. From then I simply place the original on my scanner/printer combo & do a high res scan. I then use thick decent quality paper to print as many prints as I like. These take two forms 'open' & 'limited' edition. Open edition means there is no limit to the amount you print, I usually set limited edition as between 50 to 100 copies thereafter no more are made. All are signed & numbered (IE 1 of 100) where appropriate. I find that people tend to prefer ltd edition as they feel they are getting something which may have more value.

Give the spray painting a go, you may surprise yourself as to the results & thereafter what it can generate in terms of spending money! If I can be of any further assistance you or anyone else are free to message me.

• Nowt wrong at all - especially today when the sun is shining..............

The plan is to set myself up on the road which links the clock tower with the beach. There's a main car park at the beach end which means people walk that road to get to & from the town & I'll be there there to snare a few of 'em! It was rammed with people yesterday (though I wasn't painting). I'll let you know how I get on.

• Well what an interesting day. I set up my easel as planned about noon. Not having a pedlars license I didn't want to antagonize the local traders but needed to be in as prominent a position as possible. As expected the place was heaving with people making their way to & from the car park/beach/town. The plan has always been this, to sell my paintings & prints to 1% of the people who pass by, not an unrealistic proposal to get one out of a hundred I always thought. Being satisfied if I could take £20 a day for a few hours. Anyway to cut a longish story as short as possible I actually managed to sell seven prints which equals £35, seeing I was only there from about twelve to four PM I didn't think that was bad (£8.75 an hour). Although I had my easel set up to do a spot of painting - though it was a tad too breezy - I spent much of my time chatting to folk who were interested in art.

• BTW here's an example of the kind of stuff I do. This is an oil painting I did a few years ago, my hand is in shot but gives an indication of scale.

004 - Copy.JPG

• Thanks asta. Don't usually do 'em that big I just needed to fill a space on my wall!

Rather than tell everyone about life on the road (let's face it all of you know more about it than I do) my main intention here is to hopefully illustrate how you could make a modest income via the medium of art & possibly inspire one or two to have a go with the brushes (or spray cans). As I mentioned previously traditional methods of painting is not for everyone - indeed it scares a lot of people into not trying in the first place - but spray painting is a totally different matter. By applying a few simple techniques which can be easily learned from the internet, anyone can quickly start to produce sellable merchandise. Let's face it we all need a few quid & what better way to earn some than by doing that. You don't have to be 'area specific' either, by that I mean you don't have to paint the Highlands if you're in Scotland or the sea if you're in Skeggy. Space painting always go down well wherever there is a gathering of people.

Go on have a dabble, you won't know how easy it is until you try!

• Post by stupot ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Nice work stupot, good luck with it all, will you be moving round?will look out for you and your work x

thanks. I intend to move but don't know where or when but wherever it is I intend to kick back, relax & enjoy my surroundings as well as exploring local history. I have half a notion to paint near to Willie Lotts cottage in Constable country at some stage. lot's of tourists from all around the world visit there who may be kind enough to buy my own takes on the Suffolk countryside.

• Well you have inspired me!
    I've never come close to producing a recogniseable picture of anything.
    The spray can technique looks right up my street.
    It will be a week or two before I get time to give it a try.
    I'm going to try the planet picture first. If it turns out wrong, it was always going to be a pizza.
    Rich