Preparing to get nomadic

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Thanks Ian,
    I did start to doubt myself, it got to me, but i refused to give in.
    If only you could see the few tools i have to hand :eek::insane:

• Went for MOT, first they fail it on disco lights I had going due to a bad earth, now its failed retest because of noisy wheel bearing... It's silent with no play W.T.F. :(

• Try a council test station, or a station that DOESN'T do work.

We have one in town, he doesn't do repairs so has no reason to make work for himself.

Might be cheaper/quicker than a new wheel bearing.

Sound advice, cheers :) Ive found that the local council testing station is only 3 miles from me :o

The garage called me just before 5 pm, so when i got there they were locking up, i wasn't given any further paperwork, and the chap looked annoyed when i said that it had no play in it.

Ive got a receipt for a new bearing (another vehicle) and will present that along with the car on monday - and i will insist im present while they do the testing.

Should that fail then im tempted to drop the 'i better call vosa because you've failed a new bearing' bomb - they might be slippery but i'm sticky lol

• Keep us posted, Toby.

Finally passed MOT :)
    Sorting and packing up is 90% done, so now to start hauling my stuff out, then get the conversion for sleeping done.

I'm tall but there is room to fully stretch out (diagonally) its going to be tight for space but I'm only taking essentials and a few things to keep myself occupied.

Hoping my next update is one from the road :)

• Last night was first sleep in the Picasso :)

This morning it was really warm, woke up to 25 oC temps at 8am, and a smell of damp. Found rear carpet to be foam backed and its sodden. Looks like the rain has previously seeped in through the fabric sunroof so it'll have to be sealed with marine selant and have its switch/fuse removed to stop accidental use.

I'm going to tint the rear windows and build a privacy compartment with a bed.

Breakfast was outside with small fire for coffee and toast which was great but not ideal in wet weather so I'll be hunting down a gas burner.
    My 'kitchen' Will be a corner unit to hold a bowl, burner, and cooking tat.

There's still a 1000 other jobs to do this weekend before I get started on the work, but I'll post some photos when its done.

Life suddenly seems so much better :)

• Good - well done you. yes jobs to do things on a list. The sun shines!!

So much for a todo list
    All was going well until the cabin filled with an eggy stink.
    I'm stuck with vehicle that won't start. When the key is turned to start position it sounds like clacks like the solenoid is hammering but the starter won't engage.
    Battery voltage is 13.7 v
    Dash lights shut off after about 1/4 second as does starters clacking.
    I'm wondering if the alternator is faulty luckily I can consult with auto tech tommorow.
    The Picasso owners site won't load on my moby (says content unavailabie) .

I'm snug and comfy, odd how liberation makes mechanically woes seem worthwhile.
    I can't get used to being so warm, maybe my old place was haunted.
    I've sussed a magic little charcoal heater for evening, I'll post the design when I get time.

• Beware of running a charcol heater inside the vehicle - it produces carbon monoxide and will kill you! They need proper ventilation.

On the assumption eggy stink was yourself -

To me it sounds like a battery charge prob because you say the dash lights go out pretty quickly. Unfortunately although volts are an indication of condition it is really the ability to deliver the charge that counts, it is pos to get a good volts but no charge. Really need an auto electrician to diagnose that one.

might be a stuck starter -

With ignition off

Tap end of starter with med size spanner, light tap on solenoid .......

or

Put in 1st gear - Rock backwards and forwards vigorously a couple of times. Try key

From Berlingo forum

Check all the battery leads and posts to make sure they are good and can deliver juice to the motor

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

Blown fuse in BSI, BSM, PCF(which is under BSM) (whatever that means - Ian)

Like anything electrical,things pop just like a light bulb.Try jumping from battery to motor feed terminal,if the motor spins(it won't engage) the solenoid is the likely culprit.

Ian

• Beware of running a charcol heater inside the vehicle - it produces carbon monoxide and will kill you! They need proper ventilation.

Ian

Sound advice :-)
    Those marine heaters gave me inspiration. Ivr been testimg it out in a remote shed with appriate alarms , none gone off for 11 days now so its looking safe so far.

Im wondering if a diode has failed in alternator which might have made the battery vent off giving sulpur/eggy smell...
    Making a new todo list,
    Check all fuses in all fuseboxes.
    Test battery, alternator, starter.
    Fetch a gallon of fuel.
    Pray its not an ecu fault.

• Hi and good luck :hippy:Been living in my van for 6 months and love it. Love the freedom, love the rain and the sun, moon and stars...now laugh about sobbing on boxing day 11pm, after finishing a long shift, when it was freezing and had a full gas bottle but no spanner...lessons learnt!

• Hi and good luck :hippy:Been living in my van for 6 months and love it. Love the freedom, love the rain and the sun, moon and stars...now laugh about sobbing on boxing day 11pm, after finishing a long shift, when it was freezing and had a full gas bottle but no spanner...lessons learnt!

Ouch, got that t-shirt, twas last time i relied on gas and got a burner.
    The quotes are back for parts,
    Alternator £144
    Starter £78
    Battery £80
    Just hoping i dont need all three!
    Now for trouble shooting time.

• Turned out to be none of the below, a bad earthing near the ecu.
    Posting from devon tonight after a good run.

Thankyou everyone for your encouragement and support.

I just threw a duvet in the back and its comfy, though condensation Will have to be addressd.