LDV Convoy conversion

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I have wondered about this, given the level of stress in my current job! Do you reckon there's much of a market for this sort of 'self-built' conversion? Don't most people want something that looks all factory built and crisp and clinical?

Also, I'm not sure the finish I'm getting is really good enough to sell!

There is always a market just depends: who, what and how much, also how you can reach that market. I can only suggest you maybe have to offer various Products - That could be say a van just lined and insulated - buyer fits out the rest and all the ways up to a fully fitted van. If the buyer was well flush could you do a custom fit?

Even doing the leg work for parts and accessories is worth it to the cash rich and time poor.

I would not know where to start with the legals but a hire service ?

Time wise - would the time you take not decrease as you did more and gain experience.

And for sure you got up and got on with it - when many just sit and dream - Well done.:thumbup:

( I'm just sitting about drawing and cutting cereal boxes to plan my eco cabin = dreaming)

to many years and my life is still, trying to get up that great big hill of HOPE

The post was edited 1 time, last by andyinscotland: add ().

• Thanks for your suggestions :-)

I've been having a good looking around at how much various vans are going for, and how much campers / live-ins are going for. I think that I could probably break even or make a few hundred pounds on a van if I worked for free ! I might give it a go once this project is finished, although my wife might take some convincing to let me put any more stuff on the driveway (it does currently look a bit like a scrapyard).

I reckon I could achieve a much better finish if I had a decent indoor workspace and some better quality tools. At the moment I'm precariously balancing a sheet of 8x4 ply on my £19.99 B&Q workbench and cutting it up with my Argos Challenge jigsaw... then stuffing it all in the messy garage when it starts to rain! Anybody want to invest some cash in my new venture!? :-P

I think you are definitely right andyinscotland- I would get faster with practice, and also a more suitable workspace would be helpful! Going to look at another house on Saturday- it has a big driveway and a large wooden hut/ garage which might be suitable! Fingers crossed :) The house would need fixing up first though! Also Andy, I'm sure I have spent as much time playing around with ideas and dreaming of my earthbag house as you have with your eco cabin. It's just so fraught with legislation, building regs and planning etc that I just can't seem to get it off the ground. So I know how you feel!

With regards to the rental... sounds like a lot of hassle, although I suppose it could be profitable! I'm assuming that the insurance would be both expensive and complex!

Spent another couple of hours on the van this morning. Got my set of lovely wooden drawers cut down, surface fitted to the top and varnished.

These drawers were destined for the skip (OUTRAGEOUS!!!) because of some scratching on one side. (makes me wonder why the supermarkets take all of the flack for stuff going to waste, when it seems like ALL big companies throw perfectly usable stuff straight in the bin as a matter of course and indeed it seems to be company policy... can't give it away because it might eat into our profits, blah blah blah. So lets chuck it instead.... GRRR..) .Rant over.

So here they are :-)

• Hey the drawers look good. Yes so much stuff is just dumped to landfill. Talk about rain I am trying to wire brush and sand moss and paint off a fence and it rains.

I hope my cabin will be under the radar as it were for planning etc and will just appear to be a shed. Not sure how that will all go but spending some time working out how best to pre fabricate it.

• I hope my cabin will be under the radar as it were for planning etc and will just appear to be a shed. Not sure how that will all go but spending some time working out how best to pre fabricate it.

Best of luck with your project. I'd be really interested to come and see it if you do manage to pull it off :-) It's so frustrating that it all has to be covert! If some of the bureaucracy was peeled away, I'm sure we could EASILY solve the 'housing crisis' and live so much more environmentally friendly and affordable lives.

• Had a few hours spare after work to do a few bits on the van.

I boxed in the switch for the interior lights. (used an old welder switch, which has been sitting in my garage for 6 months and a wooden box from some dominoes that my Aunty was going to throw in the bin)

Also started to build the kitchen units. Very pleased with this so far- it's made from a set of drawers I rescued from a skip 5 years ago when I was at Uni, cut and adjusted to fit, (should have seen the desks, drawers and chairs that they were throwing out... mental!!! ) plus the spare drawer runners from the other small drawers which were cut down to fit next to the chair.

• I think you are doing great.

I do odd jobs on my friends cars and vans and with regard to the comments re whether or not there is a market building or renting, I would say unfortunately the legal side would be the biggest hurdle. If you were to do the jobs or conversions for the odd one or two for folk you knew probably could make some money at it and avoid that. But once Joe Public got in on the act if anything were to go wrong you could find yourself in that smelly creek without a paddle.
    :shitfan:

Ian

• Not very well at the moment, but managed to drag myself out of bed for a few hours to do some more on the kitchen units. Feel like I'm on the home straight now!

This part of the kitchen is mainly made of an old wardrobe. Recycling and de-cluttering :-D

• Lovely stuff :). I never thought of using old furniture to make units. I've been thinking that if I do decide to get rid of everything in the house, all my furniture's going to have to get given away - it's too cat-scratched to sell. But it might make for a nice van interior! :D

• Just brought my new van home, so will be reading this thread with renewed interest :)

I've been tripping from sipping the dripping dirty water tap,
    i've been thinking i'm drinking too many drinks all by myself.
    I've been poking a voodoo doll that you do not know I made, for you, of you.

• That's really exciting! Do you have any plans yet for the conversion!?

Only had it a few days so need to measure things before I finalise plans, but in theory ... fixed double bed at the back (but not a fullsize one) with storage underneath, bench seat in front of that, woodburner by the sliding door, kitchen units down the other side, and a little bunk/hammock bed at the front above the cab. If it'll all fit, haha. Not too worried about floor space or a dining table or anything as have a massive awning for the side so will not spend masses of time inside the van in the daytime unless the weather is crap :)

My other lovely van in this pic (Bedford CF) is going to his (lovely) new home at the end of this month :( Have had him for 8 years and he was my first van so i'm very (very very very) sad about it, but need something a bit more modern and reliable now. Hoping Convoy will fill those boots. It drove the 100 miles home after being stood for several months, it's low mileage, everything seems to work and chassis looks mint, so fingers crossed.

I've been tripping from sipping the dripping dirty water tap,
    i've been thinking i'm drinking too many drinks all by myself.
    I've been poking a voodoo doll that you do not know I made, for you, of you.

• To anyone that is interested you can download a workshop manual for an LDV here.

http://www.ulozto.net/xkhrLwf/ldv-manual-iso

Unfortunately it is an iso file which means that it is a disc image an you might need a techy friend to help you read it and/or get it on to a disc you can read.

You also need flashplayer but most PCS have that already and it will want to install adobe reader 5 which is an old version or just run from publications.exe or iread each pdf file from your own reader.

File is 212Mb and about 20 mins to download. (ohh and it has an annoying tune in the background I cant seem to find where to switch off except with the speaker mute button.)

Ian

• My other lovely van in this pic (Bedford CF) is going to his (lovely) new home at the end of this month :( Have had him for 8 years and he was my first van so i'm very (very very very) sad about it, but need something a bit more modern and reliable now.

Wishing you luck with the new build. Hope it goes well and does you as proud as your old one.
    Box

• I've been watching this thread with interest as my van is an LDV Pilot.
    I know your van is a lot bigger but I've been inspired :cool:

I think the Pilots look much cooler than the convoys- they look kinda cute! If only they were a bit bigger I definitely would have got one. Best of luck with your conversion. Make sure you keep the thread updated with your progress pictures! :-D

• Will try to get some done tomorrow when finished the floor, Seeing as we are coming into good weather will blast the rest of the painting...roller painted in rustoleum then a couple of coats of sprayed to hopefully get a shine ....will not be flat ting and polishing though. Welding now 90 per cent done so making good on the finish.

:)

• Progress has been a bit slower due to lots of hours at work, but I've got a bit more done.

Worktop cut to shape and fixed on... sink in the hole!

First curtain up

A little bit of decoration going on

Have decided to keep the back storage just as a shelf. Used some net curtain wire to stop stuff falling off.

Sink in, tap in, cooking facilities in.

• I thought the drawers might stay closed on their own because of how they close, but it seems not! Got some some catches from Screwfix which worked out at 40p each. 10 minutes later and they are all securely closed.

The vinyl for the exterior graphics arrived yesterday, and although the inside isn't yet finished (somewhat more important... maybe I need to sort out my priorities!) I couldn't resist cutting a few shapes out and seeing what they look like :-) Think it's going to look funky!

• Thanks Andy. Nearly there :-) My hand is sore from cutting our circles at the moment.

Damn houses! We booked and paid for the survey, paid for the mortgage, paid the solicitors. And then the vendors changed their minds and took the house off the market. GRR! Fortunately everything got refunded apart from the mortgage booking fee.

Anyway, since then we have had another offer accepted. This one is at the other end of our budget (i.e. the high end). But it's on a really good sized plot so it should give us lots of options. Sits on about half an acre so we might open our own small campsite or grow billions of food to sell... or something!

Either that or just loads of room for lots more projects!