Any Bicycle Nomads Here?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I’ve got tired of the office life (again) so am going to spend the next few months cycling round Scotland sleeping wherever I can, which will generally be in a tent wherever I can find a spot to pitch it.

I’ll also be keeping an eye out for semi-permanent sites for caravans and camper vans and will post any useful info that I find.

If anyone has any suggestions for places to visit, particularly ones that are good for wild camping, I’d love to hear them.

Anyone interested can read about my travels at my website. I’m going to be writing a lot about land-ownership in Scotland, as well as nomadic living in general.

• Wow.. what a wonderful jouney that will be! Im very envious.. i loved that pic of the queensberry estate, i had no idea it was that vast.. looking forward to hearing all about your journey and seeing pics. Hope you set off soon and keep warm. There are plenty of sweatys on here who im sure would offer you assistance should you need it.

• I know there have been one or two threads on here about bicycle nomads. Something I would love to do at some point in the future. I am very envious!

• Looking forward to reading about your trip on your blog gypsycyclist, (and more comments about who owns Scotland and how they get tax subsidies).

• Hey , i think thats a great idea :D

I know these look a bit daft {jmho} but have you though for your Bike journey of getting one of those little trailers on the back , very handy to put lots of extra gear in . :thumbup:

• I have one of those little trailers. I got it for my business since I cant drive. I then got a larger trailer which Daisy will happily sit in. It has a rain cover but it is basicaly a large plastic box with two wheels. Great workhorse more than a camping trailer. I would recommend the lighter ones for camping any day.

• I have one of those little trailers. I got it for my business since I cant drive. I then got a larger trailer which Daisy will happily sit in. It has a rain cover but it is basicaly a large plastic box with two wheels. Great workhorse more than a camping trailer. I would recommend the lighter ones for camping any day.

Sounds absolutely great the whole thing ,
    Tell you something else ,people who do things like you have planned , i take my Hat off to you , :)
    Walking the walk instead of just dreaming about how things mite be .

Best of luck and best wishes :thumbup:

• Yeah, I wouldn't mind a trailer, though I'm trying to cut down on the weight a bit. I find that luggage soon fills up to whatever spare carrying space I have. I started without front panniers but the steering was a bit wonky so I added them and before long they were completely, and unnecessarily, filled with supplies for several days. I'm thinking of taking a rucksack instead so I can leave the bike for a few days and go hiking. A trailer would definitely be handy for that.

• I love cycling and cycle every day. I certainly cycle more miles a year than I drive. We recently moved our business into a city from a rural location and now I can visit many of my clients by bike. I recently got a trailer so I can carry my tools to jobs by bike. I am also going to build an advertising hoarding to go on the trailer so I am getting publicity for my business whenever I cycle into town.

I have done quite a bit of cycle touring and Will do more in the future.

One of my favourite cycling websites Ken kifer's Bike Pages. You may have to Google it as I am finding it difficult to insert a link on my mobile.

I will add some links when I get into the office.

aman

• I had a trailer when i lived in Spain. I used to cycle around with it all day collecting scrap metal in it from the skips outside wealthy Expat villas near Malaga.
    Made about 10€ a day, crap money but really fun man!
    Now i only bike to the job center. lol

- - - Updated - - -

I had a trailer when i lived in Spain. I used to cycle around with it all day collecting scrap metal in it from the skips outside wealthy Expat villas near Malaga.
    Made about 10€ a day, crap money but really fun man!
    Now i only bike to the job center. lol