First try at night photography

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Thanks Angio, I was trying to capture the milky way but it was harder than i thought it would be. A bit more practice should make for more clearer images. Is there anyone else out there trying there hand photographing the night sky?

• Love the second one too. Have just started to do some night time ones myself, how long an exposure are you using? for some of mine it was 20 seconds.

• Exposure for the second image was 20sec. I was told that 23secs was the longest time you have until the stars start to trace, so 20secs seems a good time to get the most light from the stars. Iso settings were anything from 4000 to 6400. Aperture from f4.8 to f9. The trouble I was getting from the images was the grainy look or noise as it's called caused by the high iso setting. It's tricky getting the settings just right.

• Hello.

Winter isn't a good time to shoot the Milky Way, summer is better - I shot the above in August 2011. Light pollution is a real problem in the UK, especially in the South East - Guildford is the yellow splodge behind the trees.

One way around it is to shoot "straight up", less atmosphere to get through:

Both shot @30 secs with lots of ISO and around f4 on a ultrawide 10mm lens. There's a tiny bit of movement in the stars visible in the raw files at 100%, but it's minimised by the wide angle lens.

I like old-skool star trails too:

• Love the star trails too. My camera wont do them though, longest exposure I can possibly do is only 30secs.

Was trying the moon the other night, inspired by a friend who takes some great shots, too bloody cloudy though, odd wisps coming across blurring the shot, would be ok if I was actually trying for that effect I guess lol

• Thanks for the kind words.

You can do startrails with your camera. You'll need a lockable remote release and the camera set to continous shooting mode, or if it has a built in intervalometer, you can use that...

Set camera up (tripod, 30 secs exposure, lens as required) and press the remote release and lock it. The camera will then happily sit there taking shot after shot. Once you've got your sequence of pics replace the lens cap and let the camera take a number of "dark frame" images - about 1 for every 10 normal pics, then high tail it back into the warm and go to this website:

http://startrails.de/

On that site, you'll find a little application to download which will allow you to "stack" your images into one composite image which you can then save as a tiff or jpeg.

My pic of the startrails above was made with this software - in reality it was 106 30 second exposures taken over an hour.

If your camera has no feature to accept a cable release, you could jerry rig up a cheap clamp to press on the shutter button, or perhaps use a strong elastic band to hold the button down.

Enjoy!

• thankyou so much for that! will defo have to try that out some time, looks great, I thought that was one continuous shot! ..........clever software lol

Athough I think I'll be in the rubber band gang, my camera wont take a cable :(

• Always wanted to get some decent star shots but light pollution precludes it here.

Mystery night shot. It's a mystery because I can't remember taking it (I may have been drunk, or...something :o) and because not all the light trails follow the same path...I'm unable to explain this as it's defintely only one exposure.
    Interestingly, one can see the 50 Hz AC current evidenced by the dotted streaks.
    DSC_0115 by Slugfoot, on Flickr

• Always wanted to get some decent star shots but light pollution precludes it here.

Mystery night shot. It's a mystery because I can't remember taking it (I may have been drunk, or...something :o) and because not all the light trails follow the same path...I'm unable to explain this as it's defintely only one exposure.
    Interestingly, one can see the 50 Hz AC current evidenced by the dotted streaks.
    DSC_0115 by Slugfoot, on Flickr

Hi Slugfoot, I think the shot looks good.... I take it that it was taken is Seaville Street behind the Cross Foxes Pub,

• After some thought; that could be the moon reflected in the window.
    I checked the image exif data to see when it was taken (16 Apr.) and then checked the moon's phase and it was indeed a full moon on that night. :)

• I'm from Great Sutton, but I've worked in Chester most of my working life, at different places. :whip:
    and I was captain of the Union vaults Darts team for a few years back in the mid 80s.