Reversing/rear view camera and lcd screen

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi. I've just installed a 7" lcd monitor and two back up cameras in my van and wanted to let you know in case you've considered it.
    When reversing I've usually gone back slowly using side mirrors, ears and crossed fingers, and sometimes got out to check parked vehicle or wall behind. In normal forward driving I've got used to not knowing what 's right behind me, but it isn't ideal
    However now I can see what's behind, forward driving or reversing, and have two views, one from up on the roof giving a longer range view and one under the bumper which is good for close reversing.
    I am pretty skint currently so price was all-important. The cameras were £11 each.and the screen was £18, so for £40 (all through ebay though Amazon and lots of others sell them) backing up is much safer, and I can also see if I'm being tailed by nosey old woodentops. One speeding fine would be more than that £40 so the system will hopefully pay for itself, plus on two occasions somebody has walked behind while I was backing up and have got annoyed at me for not stopping even though I couldn't see them, which I'm sure must be my responsibility being the driver. The cameras work at night by using tiny little infra red lights which illuminate quite well, or otherwise the van's reversing light is adequate to give you a picture. The cameras are waterproof.
    Wiring up is a doddle and they now give me two views I never had - the rear view (my Tranny van has windowless back doors and only one small side window which is no use in driving or reversing). The cameras simply have a lead with a phono plug on to connect to the monitor and a little power lead which connects to a 12 volt supply, either by running a lead to a leisure battery or to the fusebox, cigar lighter, interior courtesy light etc. the monitor is also wired to the courtesy light and that's it. I just relaxed and spent an enjoyable afternoon pottering around doing it. If a bloke can do it then a girl could easily do it! It is designed to be easy to install a system like this, and all manufacturers seem to use the same phono plugs. Phono males plug into phono females which is dead easy and the only actual wiring is the 12 volt positive and negative on the cameras and monitor, which is just like connecting up a couple of loudspeakers. One important point I must make is that these cheap little monitors will not survive being wired up the wrong way round (reversed polarity), and they have no internal fuse, so please be sure to get that bit right, and maybe install a fuse in the red lead.
    My next idea is to put a couple of these tiny cameras up outside on the roof connected to the telly so I can see what's going on outside just by changing channels to the cameras' channels. Stealth is great but sometimes I'd just like to know if it's safe to get out for whatever reason. Dave.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lionheart888 ().

• Funnily enough, I've got one in my watching list on eBay. Entire set up £35. I'm not particularly bad at manoeuvring my van, I just like having a rear view mirror, so I'm going to mount the camera above the back doors. Just to make it easier when nipping in and out of heavy traffic.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• That sounds great Stardust. I reckon once we get used to using these gadgets we'll wonder how we did without them. The cameras may even act as extra security against opportunist break-ins, though having said that mine will probably be swiped the first time I park in a dodgy area, ha ha.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

• I've liked the idea ever since I saw a works van going down the motorway with a screen the size and shape of a rear view mirror, exactly where the mirror should be. It's a kind of obvious solution really. Not one that I'd call absolutely vital, but in the big scheme of things I can think of far worse things to spend £35 on!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• A lot of the more modern car stereos with screen in them have a camera input, I have three cameras laying around, going to put one on the back and one on each side looking down so when i have the window shutters closed for stealth i can still see out if I want to.

might get a dash cam as well, at the moment i use my phone while im working just in case, im fed up with insurance compaines doing knock for knock so i want evidence if there's an accident. :)

• Dash cams are just so cheap (14 quid) and quite amusing actually to share captured bad driving with your mates,
    some you can set to remain powered on but dormant until something/someone moves across its path
    so handy for security if your car is parked facing your home overnight

• Hi. I've just installed a 7" lcd monitor and two back up cameras in my van and wanted to let you know in case you've considered it.

I am pretty skint currently so price was all-important. The cameras were £11 each.and the screen was £18, so for £40 (all through ebay)

Hi Dave.
    Can you post links to the items you purchased please. It think that would be a big help to everyone. I am interested to look into it more.

Thanking you in advance.
    BBox.

• Hi Boxvan.

Ist camera: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI…ageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

2nd camera: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nigh…ology&hash=item3f2bcb84e4

7" Monitor/screen: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI…ageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

The cameras both come complete with 5 metre cables terminated in the correct phono plugs and sockets to connect directly to the two trailing female inlets on the monitor. The only extras you'll need are a cheap little terminal block for the power connections and some silicone or sikaflex for any holes you drill or to fix cameras to bodywork.
    Hope this helps you. Dave.

• Thanks for posting these - much appreciated
    Box.

You're welcome Boxvan. The monitor, though it appears to come from a Chinaman, is in fact delivered from London in record quick time. The £11.99 camera is ok but the picture quality of the cheaper one is slightly better. If you are able it's a good idea to get two identical cameras because they seem to vary in brightness and it's inconvenient to keep altering the brightness every time you change cameras (v1/v2 switch on front of monitor). If I was buying again I'd go for two of the cheaper ones, and on other listings they are available in an attractive sort of light gunmetal silver. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1…ology&hash=item485819eb50

• Thanks Dave, which of the cameras do you think have better night vision.
    Regards - Box

Definitely the first one, the one with the infra-red lights on it. Mind you, I don't think IR works well for more than a yard or two, so they are both only ok at night when the reversing lights are on. Are you thinking of installing them both facing the rear?

• You'd probably be better off buying a separate infra red lamp if you want it to work without visible light to keep an eye on the van at night, if its just for reversing in the dark just do what the rally boys used to and fit a decent spotlight on the back.

The law says you can only have 40w reversing lights which is why they are not very bright, you can fit work lamps on the back but they are supposed to only be switchable from the outside.

I'd fit a 100w spotlight on the back wired via a relay into the reversing light circuit so it comes on in reverse BUT add a switch into the feed so you can disable it in built up areas where it's not dark (or plod might see you) turn it off for MOT as well.

If you just fit one with a switch on there is always the chance you'll drive off and forget its on.

• Definitely the first one, the one with the infra-red lights on it. Mind you, I don't think IR works well for more than a yard or two, so they are both only ok at night when the reversing lights are on. Are you thinking of installing them both facing the rear?

Yes that's right - the boxvan is big and I cant see a thing when reversing - I have to holler out the window to let people know im reversing or toot me horn as I reverse, even then I am worried I might have a child run out, so cameras are a good thing.

Thanks again Dave.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd probably be better off buying a separate infra red lamp if you want it to work without visible light to keep an eye on the van at night, if its just for reversing in the dark just do what the rally boys used to and fit a decent spotlight on the back.

Good idea. Thanks PopUp