Double decker windows

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Ive acquired an old double decker that is one step from the scrapyard and needs urgent attention. Most of the upstairs windows are missing so that it is exposed to the weather and i want to seal them up quick. I was thinking maybe thick polythene sheeting and sealant but this might not hold in a strong wind. Can anyone suggest an alternative? Id eventually like to use steel sheets but it might cost a bit.

• If your in a hurry, you get rolls of polythene out of builders merchants thats fairly tuff. Cant mind what its called but if yoou ask for 1000 grade dpm they will know what youre on about. Its 25m x. 3.6ish. Will find out what its called n post here for u

• Oh brill, thanks! That looks ideal. If i can stop its condition getting any worse for the moment i can take my time doing something more permanent. Its a mk 1 metrobus and has been stood up for a few years. The engine turns freely and i think it will fire up with a booster pack and some clean diesel :-)

• Been musing about this today as I hand sawed my huge eucalyptus tree into logs after it had crashed through next door's conservatory in last night's storm - I hope your bus survived unscathed.
    Anyway, I suddenly remembered where I sourced acres of cheap sheet aluminium from that I needed for various jobs: old mobile homes that are broken up for scrap sell for next to nothing and are one big source of sheet aluminium. As a side benefit of buying an old static caravan for next to nothing you may also get lots of useful furniture and appliances for the bus, eg shower unit, kitchen cupboards, lounge furniture, framing timber, gas fire, gas water heater, light switches, lights, beds, fridge, sink etc etc. Afterwards the frame etc can be scrapped to get a few quid back.
    I hope this helps and can't wait to see pictures of your project taking shape. Dave.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

• Been musing about this today as I hand sawed my huge eucalyptus tree into logs after it had crashed through next door's conservatory in last night's storm - I hope your bus survived unscathed.
    Anyway, I suddenly remembered where I sourced acres of cheap sheet aluminium from that I needed for various jobs: old mobile homes that are broken up for scrap sell for next to nothing and are one big source of sheet aluminium. As a side benefit of buying an old static caravan for next to nothing you may also get lots of useful furniture and appliances for the bus, eg shower unit, kitchen cupboards, lounge furniture, framing timber, gas fire, gas water heater, light switches, lights, beds, fridge, sink etc etc. Afterwards the frame etc can be scrapped to get a few quid back.
    I hope this helps and can't wait to see pictures of your project taking shape. Dave.

Top idea!

• I might have another source as well now. Ive got an old caravan that i keep in the corner of a field that my daughter uses sometimes. I got a call this morn to say that a tree fell on it in the storm last night :(