Ipad ....opinions please?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well, I admit it, I'm an absolute technophobe...lol

A lot of people at college use them in performance studies ie., youtube, searching performance related stuff such as stage and screen, note taking and photos for their daily diaries.

Are they all much of a muchness?

Daughter has a laptop at home so an Ipad would work alongside this but in college.

Any help you guys can bring to this techno-numpty would be well appreciated!

Thank you ..... :panic:

• I've had a play with one but tbh I didn't like it at all, but that's coming from someone who likes to play around with PCs; I found it wouldn't let me poke around in it's innards with I as much as I'd like, and I felt that I was being 'hand held' by the device.
    I do have to admit that for what it is - a device to surf the net and do some basic tasks - it does fairly well, especially for people who aren't that geeky.

Does it have to be an iPad? You can get far cheaper android based tablet devices that will do the job just as well, if not better.

• I use an old ipad and although it took a little while to get use to it's very handy and versatile..
    I use it before taking out the laptop anytime.. The lappy rarely comes out those days only for the odd thing that the ipad wont run..

• I have a Samsung galaxy phone and samsung Tab2 TBH never use the TAB unless im watching sky go on holiday! Mrs Bigman swears by her Ipad though and uses it for everything as its very very user friendly just like her iphone....I WANT ONE !!

• Ive got an ipad and its great, took ages to get used to but now i have its almost retired my laptop. My flatmates a computer whizz and swears by his nexus 7, but hes got a bit of an issue with apple. Only prob with ipad is it takes an age to charge, oh yeah and dont drop it. Mine fell about 2feet from my bed n smashed the screen when it hit the floor. £140 to get it replaced, ouch but when i took it to apple shop they gave me a new replacement instead of repairing my one.
    Ive also got an archos 5 500gb, dont get one of them if u want a tablet, there usless. I use mine as an mp3 player and its great for that.

• Ive got an ipad and its great, took ages to get used to but now i have its almost retired my laptop. My flatmates a computer whizz and swears by his nexus 7, but hes got a bit of an issue with apple. Only prob with ipad is it takes an age to charge, oh yeah and dont drop it. Mine fell about 2feet from my bed n smashed the screen when it hit the floor. £140 to get it replaced, ouch but when i took it to apple shop they gave me a new replacement instead of repairing my one.
    Ive also got an archos 5 500gb, dont get one of them if u want a tablet, there usless. I use mine as an mp3 player and its great for that.

The parts to replace the screen if you were to do it yourself would set you back about £40. I would only advise doing this if you don't want to worry about any warranty repairs in the future and that you have some idea about what you are doing. One of the annoying things about the ipad is that the wifi aerial is actually half stuck to the front screen and half stuck to the chassis, so that if you are not careful in lifting the screen you will break the aerial: which then means that you need to practically dismantle the whole thing just to change it.

The wifi aerial is located next to the home button on the right hand side. You can check this by putting your hand over that area and watching the bars on the wifi signal drop.

• I do like the look and feel of iPads, but (for my purposes) they fail massively in the capability department. Apple IOS is locked down to approved apps, doesn't support Flash, you can't plug in an external drive, and you can't take the back off and change the battery.

I think I'd only have an iPad if I was running an iPhone or iPod and needed to sync them - or I was using Apple only software like Final Cut Pro or Logic.

Android is more capable, supports flash, gives you the ability to change everything from the stock browser to the stock keypad, but because it's used so widely you have to do a lot more choosing with the hardware. Overall, my primary concern would be battery life - I'd want lots of it!

• I've just started playing with a Nexus 7 and have to say I'm quite liking it. I find it nicer to use than the iPad I tried recently.

• So what did you go for in the end akasha? iPad? Android? Etch-a-sketch? :D

Gotta say I'm loving my Nexus 7, battery easily lasts a day, nice that I can charge it via micro USB in the car - for cheapo USB cables check Poundland - or at work on my PC so no need to carry a charger with me. I'm using it far more than my laptop these days. Yes, it doesn't have a 3G connection (no SIM slot) but I set my phone to act as a wifi hotspot so the Nexus connects t'internet wherever I can get a phone signal.