nursing bras advice and slings -

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• so far, 3 weeks in im using my old sports type bras but its a faff and my boobs are feeling v heavy.. ive been anti buying anything that i dont need but think i might need to invest.. any recommendations? Also i want a sling that i can breast feed in that m baby likes, i have a babasling but he hates it!

• I had a nursing bra from mothercare, but that was 20 years ago, I had one for day and soft one for night as the leaking was bad :P Congratulations xxxx

• I got mine from mothercare too, had a night nursing bra which is very much like a sports bra but detachable straps and some nice black nursing bras.

• M & S are brilliant at measuring and fitting and do a good range of nursing bras...i'd go for a mei-tei style carrier, maybe with wide straps like a mayawrap meitei ? Ergos are very good as are connectas for buckled carriers but alot of new mums really rate stretchy wraps as a good investment and move onto woven wraps as baby gets older and more wriggly. There is also a babywearing/kangaroo care vest out on the market which looks amazing. Xxxx

• Front fastening nursing bras I remember were a god send.
    The girl over the road from me has a large wrap that she has carried her baby in for the past 18 months from birth, he is her 5th child, and she is so happy with the wrap that she has stopped using the car, and sold the pram. She says he is the most content of all her kids.

• I can recommend mei tai style carriers. They are great from newborn right up to walking. I actually demonstrated one recently with my 7 year old son in a back carry!

• It is generally the Baby Bjorn slings that can cause hip displacement if used beyond the first few weeks...the reason being is that the "seat" part of the sling is too narrow and allows babies legs to swing low, putting weight on the hips. Anything that allows baby to sit with their knees higher than their bum is fine... Its like the difference between sitting in a hammock and dangling from a bungee/abseilling harness? So meiteis, podegais, connectas, ergos, ring slings, pouch slings, wraps are all fine. baby bjorns are brilliant for the first few weeks but mums soon notice their shoulders aching as soon as babies are a few weeks old. Forward facing carries should be done with baby sitting inside the wrap sort of cross legged...or wait until baby has good head control and then can be worn up on your back :) where abouts are you based honey? I can try and find out where your local sling meet is if you like? There are also some great slings/wrap preloved sale groups on facebook ... natural mamas forum is a great place to connect with other slinging/wrapping Mums xxxx

• i have a ring sling i have on loan i am sure i can send u if that one is ok for u. u might be able to go try one on in a shop. Erin gets very grumpy when restrained now, so tho it still fits it's a no-go for us:P

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Thanks everyone,I live in forest row East Sussex. I don't know if there are any groups locally ? Info about baby bjorn !!! It's the one I have :( . Elf queen of Rohan? Really you could send me one?

• baby bjorn is fine when they are really little and if that is the only sling you have then tis better to use that than not babywear in my humble opinion...i think they are good easy to use slings for newborns but you will definatley want to move on from it fairly soon i expect. I will try and find out where your nearest sling meet is :) xxx

• Thanks Sarah, I do have a baba ? Sling but he hates it, he is 12lbs 4 oz already at 5 weeks, I find the baby bjorn hard going on shoulders and back and pulls on csection wound plus had our six week check early and my doc thinks he could have hip displacia in one hip we have to go for scan. I've only used sling once so obv if he has it's due to other factors but obv this leaves me reluctant to use it again. Great if you know where a group is xxx

• yes you can have the ring sling - on long-term loan as it will need to be sent back to Free Spirit eventually (she had it in a sling library i think) :) as long as u can pay postage, send me ur address and i'll weigh it to let u know the postage cost (shouldn't be much)

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Thanks Sarah, I do have a baba ? Sling but he hates it, he is 12lbs 4 oz already at 5 weeks, I find the baby bjorn hard going on shoulders and back and pulls on csection wound plus had our six week check early and my doc thinks he could have hip displacia in one hip we have to go for scan. I've only used sling once so obv if he has it's due to other factors but obv this leaves me reluctant to use it again. Great if you know where a group is xxx

• Hi pro a bit late now, hope your sorted re slings but theres a very good forum site iv used in the past, dont know if were allowed here to mention other forums but if someone lets me know il pop it up in a post x

• I use a ringsling and love it. Took me a week or so to get the hang of it but now second nature. I'm thinking of a woven wrap as he's over a stone now but they seem so expensive.