20% Proof Home made Alcohol - 40 pints

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Local home brew place sells the following:

Turbo Yeast
    Clearing / anti fiz agents in two packets
    Cost £7

Similar kits are like £15 on Ebay...

Anyway thought I would give it a go....

8 kg of sugar mixed in with 40 pints of luke warm water ( I dissolved the sugar with a bit of boiling water in a jug)

pop on top the turbo yeast and leave for seven days..... a bit of messing around pouring form one bin to another adding clearing and settling agent BT after approx. a total of 14 days you have 40 pints of alcohol.

The place where I buy my bits always has very cheap flavours.... at 50p Each flavour will flavour a 70cl bottle of spirit. Loads to choose from!

Now all I need is a pressure cooker...copper tubing....a plastic bin and water....mmmm a still to further ferment the 20% to at least 60 - 70%

Seriously though for a very cheap home made relatively high alcohol content the above sugar and water is brilliant

Cheers

BM

• my oh has done something similar... with sugar, water and marmite.. it's very very strange but not bad, so far! (still going we just had a test!)

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• marmite !!! Take it that's as opposed to yeast it being yeast extract? wonder how it effects the flavour...interesting :)
    Think the turbo yeast supplied just speeds up the fermentation process to days as opposed to weeks

• you can get home brewing kits from wilko's. they do beer, wine, larger vodka, etc. they are cheap and have everything you need to make the brew. they are really good, and quite tasty :)

• I have a gallon of 18% Wimberry wine on the go, with cartons of fresh fruit juice and sugar thrown in as well, and a basic wine yeast. Tastes like fruit juice that just happens to blow your head off.

• I have a gallon of 18% Wimberry wine on the go, with cartons of fresh fruit juice and sugar thrown in as well, and a basic wine yeast. Tastes like fruit juice that just happens to blow your head off.

How are you managing to get to 18% without the yeast being killed off?
    xx
    den

• yes the marmite is instead of yeast! it is really flavoursome actually! it's so cheap to do, you should try it :D i think the plan is to mix it with different homemade cordials

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• No idea Den, I followed the table and the Og was 1140 and it should ferment down. I am about to rack it off and will see what it is. It might all die off and leave me with a super sweet wine we will see. First time using this recipe, my last one came in at 15% 2 glasses and I was very wobbly.

• No idea Den, I followed the table and the Og was 1140 and it should ferment down. I am about to rack it off and will see what it is. It might all die off and leave me with a super sweet wine we will see. First time using this recipe, my last one came in at 15% 2 glasses and I was very wobbly.

How much sugar did you put in Kez? I`d be suprised if you got up to 18% under "normal" fermentation following a recipe sort of.
    Like you say... you might end up with Wimberry Syrup!! :-)
    Keep us informed.

I think you will find that home distilling is highly illegal. I once tried "Holy water" with coke unwittingly.It nearly knocked my socks off.

How much difference is there between illegal and highly illegal? :D...and any drink with coke does have a blowing of socks off effect! ...well, from my experience anyway!
    xx
    den

• Well the wine is super dry, just about to rack it off. 3.8kg of fresh berries, 1.5 lt of fruit juice (from concentrate), 1.5 kg of sugar, and it fermented like mad from 18th Aug until last week. Will measure what it is when I rack it off.

• I think it was John Semour who wrote a brilliant bit about how to hide/defend your still... something about the way he constructed it, but he advised telling the plod that you were cooking porridge in one bit and doing your washing in the other.... hence the need for the fire.

• Well, my wine has just come in at start 1140 now 0990 and 0995, the 0990 is the one that I put a mix of cranberry and cherry juice in, the 0995 is the sweeter summer fruits, there is a slight difference in colour, but only very slight, and the 0995 is still a bit yeasty, so I will see what they are again in 2 weeks as they have just started bubbling again due to the movement.

• Hugh Fernley whatshis name's mate on TV today made 4% ginger beer in 48hrs !!! Made in 2ltr pop bottles!!

Think it was ---- Water - Turbo yeast - 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice and grated ginger.

:)

• Yes ,I thought it got killed off at 12%

Anything after that is officialy a Sherry but needing a different process .

Thats not quite right really...as yer can get "ordinary" reds at say...14%...sherries etc have a second process and are oxidised.

• Fruit and veg wines have to be a minimum of 12% to keep them stored for longer than a few months. So most recipes are aiming at 14 to 16% then when racking off and topping up they should finish above 12% for bottling. Unless you want to pump the wine full of preservatives etc, but then that defeats the object of making your own I think.

• Our local brew shop sells stills aka water purifier. Although with a bit of juggling about you can make your own at home blue peter style. They do those flavours too, rum, whisky etc never tried them but sounds good, I do like the homemade pernod kits they do though :D

• I have an air still bought from a home brew shop. Some countries have made home distilling legal, it will never happen in the UK thanks to our nanny state gone mad.

I have, of course, only used my air still in a country where it is legal.It's good fun and with time and learning you can make a decent vodka, but TBH its a right faff and i never use it now, we only drink home made wine.

There is loads of nonsense talked about home brew strengths, ordinary yeast will die before it gives the strengths some people claim.