The affairs of third world countries.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• How much of what goes on in developing countries is the concern of first world countries? If they want our unwanted books that is fine. There are number of books that are of no merit and should never have been published to start with. These books should be pulped. Similarly if they want our old digital cameras, then fine let them have these.
    But what concerns me is the whole patronizing attitude that some people in the west have towards third world countries. There is no denying there is hunger in many African countries. Many countries in Africa have the lowest life expectancy on the planet but have the highest rates of contentment.

• What about all the coffee table books that are all arty photographs but with little useful information? When it comes to fiction then I agree it is a matter of opinion to whether it is worth reading.

• What about all the coffee table books that are all arty photographs but with little useful information? When it comes to fiction then I agree it is a matter of opinion to whether it is worth reading.

Are you saying we shouldn't have books of beautiful photographs? They may not be any use to developing countries, but then, neither is central heating, that's no reason for us not to have it!

• And by places such as Book Cycle,yes I know I go on about us, having these books we sell it helps raise the finances to send educational books out to developing countries . It cost us £1600,I believe, for the container that went to Ghana......if it wasn't for the book sales that would never have happened

• Are you saying we shouldn't have books of beautiful photographs? They may not be any use to developing countries, but then, neither is central heating, that's no reason for us not to have it!

Well of a book is published with beautiful photographs then that is ok, although these days I think beautiful photographs should be stored on hard-drives, but what gets to me are large books that claim to be of an instruction mode and complete but contain relatively little useful information. A Paul Hamlyn woodworking book I wrote about in this thread
    http://www.ukhippy.com/stuff/showthread.php?t=4431you

is a good example. I found it odd that in such a large book they could not find the space to show how to sharpen woodworking tools or how to deal with gummed up woodworking tools. Arty photographs were more important.

A Penguin Australia DIY book published in 2003 the writers clearly did not know what they were writing about. To give an example they had not heard of tek-screws. These have superseded roofing nails at least 12 years prior to the book being published. To use a tek-screw punch a pin hole in the top of the ridge of the corrugated iron. The tek scew is then loaded into a cordless drill with a hex driver piece and it is driven home with the cordless drill , the tek-screw self-drills. A far more pragmatic way of doing things. Over the years tradesmen, handymen and farmers have found all sorts of uses for tek-screws such as attaching vehicle number plates. Given that the authors of this book had not heard of tek-screws I think it would be fair to say they were completely clueless.
    The one educational aspect to either of these books is for budding writers on how not to write a book.

• i agree (about original point). we are incredibly patronising in our attitudes towards 'third world countries' - even that term is(well outdated at any rate), and the other more pc terms aren't a lot better (developing countries is a bit nasty too :/ less economically developed is the best but a mouthful!). much is assumed about 'poor' countries and countries which are wildly different are all chucked in the same basket. we're very imperialistic in our attitudes really. (savages!savages!) and a LOT is based on GDP. ummm. i hate this as a measure. in isolation it's at best misleading.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Gdp is a useless way of measuring wealth as it tells you nothing about living standards and the gap between rich and poor. The gini coefficient and the lorenz curve in particular are far better and just as valid for measuring well being in developed countries too. Ours incidentally is looking very unhealthy at the moment!