Why do you eat meat?

• I enjoy eating meat is probably the biggest reason I continue to do so. I also enjoy cooking meat. I have throughout my adult years been prepared to raise, kill and butcher meat, including goat & chickens. There are cuts of meat (parts of animals) that I won't eat and really stick to what I know. I have tried/eaten rabbit, hare, duck, goose, pheasant, pigeon, partridge,chicken, squirrel, deer, horse, cow, pig, lamb/sheep. I think it is challenging to raise, kill, butcher & then eat a animal. When I sat down to eat one of my billy goats one Christmas, I did find it hard going. I have tried a vegetarian diet for 2 years and got on well without eating meat. The smell of a bacon butty is enough to make me question my ethics.

• I too love the taste of it, well most of it, I gave being veggie a go some years ago but I never felt fully satisfied after the meal.I visited my sister when she lived in the east end of london, she is/was a veggie and she persuaded me to try a meat alternative/substiute, don't know if it was quorn or whatever but it was the most tasteless piece of shite I had ever tried.I am aware that it is not as healthy as a veggie diet so I try to eat more white meat and fish when I can, I always look for an ethicaly farmed piece of meat when buying it, I don't think it is wrong to kill an animal to eat it as long as it has had a good life an a quick unsuspecting death - which I know I can't always say 100% if this has been the case unless I have done the deed myself.I have in the past hunted my own meat and could have a rabbit a day if I so chose but Jane wont eat bunny as it reminds her of a pet she had as a child, I used to beat on a small shoot, the payment was the first pick of the birds, I know that they had had a free range and organic life so I was quite happy to take them.

• dont think i could survive without a bacon butty! it is the only thing i would miss if i went veggie again. Cheatin bacon is gross! why do i eat meat? taste/texture mm, love finding new ways of cooking it and marrying it with different sauces/veg/ potatoes ... drooling now...

• I eat meat very regularly, was a vegetarian for a year but succumbed to a bacon sandwich one morning visiting my Mum and that was the end of that. I eat it because I like it and it's good for you, I do understand the arguments against so I try within my budget to get the best, most sustainable and ethically reared meat I can, but I know that I don't always succeed. I'm thinking about the Paleo Diet at the moment as a way of eating more healthily and that is quite heavy on meat and fish, but with a much higher amount of vegetables than I've eaten in a long time.

• I eat meat because I was bought up eating meat and I never thought much about it as a child. I do believe you need some meat in your diet and it is good for you in moderation - but veggies are cool too :cool:

I don't eat much meat now because I can't afford it!

• I eat meat because it provides me with nutrients I need as well as tasting good. I only eat game meat - goat, wild boar etc that is lean and not processed. In Australia goats were introduced and are now big pests that eat all the food that native animals need. I eat meat as ethically as possible when it comes to the environment. I don't dispute that a vegan diet is the best in terms of animal welfare but I also think that eating 'pests' that are killed in the most humane way possible is certainly a compromise that I feel comfortable with. I only buy locally sourced meat to limit environmental damage with fuel etc :)

• It isnt, however, there are many ecological reasons, for example, we have un-naturally risen the number of cows in the world... thus, we need to eat them :D

(jokes aside, I do not view humans as anything more than animals, and animals eat animals. I do however think we should eat less meat and treat animals WAYYY more humanly)

• If you were to put that question to any carnivore in the animal kingdom, you would realize yourself, just what a daft question it is. Although there may be a few domestic dogs that eat vegetables as a preference to meat. they still will eat meat. I see eating mass produced meat products as a evolutionary achievement of mankind. We no longer have to pit our wits/hunting skills against animals in the wild for food. Therefor guaranteeing a sustainable food intake for ourselves.

• If you were to put that question to any carnivore in the animal kingdom, you would realize yourself, just what a daft question it is.

Well firstly, humans aren't carnivores; in our wildest state we lean more towards omnivorous scavengers, and (in the "civilised" world) we get a choice in what we eat. In the wild, carnivorous animals don't have the same level of choice, or or indeed sentience, and clearly wouldn't understand the question.

So, not even remotely daft.

• Well firstly, humans aren't carnivores; in our wildest state we lean more towards omnivorous scavengers, and (in the "civilised" world) we get a choice in what we eat. In the wild, carnivorous animals don't have the same level of choice, or or indeed sentience, and clearly wouldn't understand the question.

So, not even remotely daft.

Assuming the climate is constant and berries/seeds are produced as a result of continued favorable growing conditions. We would scavenge. Meat is not so effected by brief climate changes and would be a constant food source for early humans. With the development of agriculture more vegetation & their parts would be consumed. Its the old argument. Did humans adapt to eat grasses and leaves? No they adapted to a diet of meat, subsidized with vegetation.

• Evolutionary achievement?!? The greed of humans is destroying the earth for future generations. How smart is that?? :S

Well for one. You are a part of the same problem. You need bricks and mortar to keep you warm and safe. hospitals for when you or your family are unwell. If you want to lead by example. Show us what you got.

• I don't eat mammal or bird meat anymore but still eat fish when i get a craving for it...need to look into what it is I'm actually needing nutritionally and see if something vegetarian/vegan will replace it. I only eat fish cos my body craves it hugely for some reason...i had a bad Pica craving for fish when pregnant with my eldest so there is something there i need to investigate.

• OK ... so the people who "like the taste"? Why is the life of a living, feeling creature less important than the way it tastes? :)

I think a massive part of this is because certain species are considered to be less worthy of life than other species. As an example, the vast majority of meat eaters in the Western world would consider it cruel to eat dogs and cats but don`t have a problem eating pigs or cows. This is despite the fact that they feel emotions such as fear, pain, sadness in exactly the same way as we know that dogs and cats do.

[h=2]Definition of SPECIESISM[/h]1
    : prejudice or discrimination based on species

• Well for one. You are a part of the same problem. You need bricks and mortar to keep you warm and safe. hospitals for when you or your family are unwell. If you want to lead by example. Show us what you got.

Absolutely i`m part of the problem that goes without saying and we all try to do our bit in different ways. However this debate is about eating meat not about the environmental cost of living in a house. Start a thread on that and i`ll be the first to admit my shortcomings..

As far as hospitals go i never need em what wit being a healthy vegan and all :pp

• Well for one. You are a part of the same problem. You need bricks and mortar to keep you warm and safe. hospitals for when you or your family are unwell. If you want to lead by example. Show us what you got.

Well in terms of health, the biggest killers in the west could largely be prevented by change in lifestyle, and that includes the amount of meat we consume and the way it's prepared.

In terms of environment, if the whole world were to adopt a vegetarian diet, the increased availability of grain would eventually put an end to world hunger. Apart from that, even the UN admit that 51% of climate change/global warming is caused by meat production - one of the top three contributors.

• Well in terms of health, the biggest killers in the west could largely be prevented by change in lifestyle, and that includes the amount of meat we consume and the way it's prepared.

In terms of environment, if the whole world were to adopt a vegetarian diet, the increased availability of grain would eventually put an end to world hunger. Apart from that, even the UN admit that 51% of climate change/global warming is caused by meat production - one of the top three contributors.

Life style change yes. Most people now drive and exercise very little. Work can be very stressful & more work is now office based, less physical. Food intake with additives across the board has increased. People drink more made up solutions and less water. The environment is full of man made/released chemicals which we still have no knowing of the collective accumulative harm if any. So many factors that could be attributing to the poor health in the west. To label it down to meat production or meat eating is just nonsense . The very fact that meat CAN form part of a healthy diet says one of two things. The poor are eating meat products that are less than desirable or eating just too much of it.
    Climate change? what climate change. The UN along with others have excepted the climate is effected by mans activities. Burning of forests. industrial pollution. Some natural events even. Meat production will contribute. So would increased animal populations of the natural world, if like most of us we want an abundance of wildlife throughout the world. Wild bears, wolves, endangered species we all want to flourish. I agree large numbers of cows sheep and horses will contribute by discharging methane. Arable farming on the scale you will need to feed the world to a point no one will starve will also contribute to climate change. Intensive farming will require herbicides, pesticides, more land mass. more water. Increased fuel consumption. depletion of soil and no manure available to but back organic matter. So a % of pollution will still occur as a result of changing farming practices to remove meat from consumption.

• Evolutionary achievement?!? The greed of humans is destroying the earth for future generations. How smart is that?? :S

Surely your not suggesting that its meat and the production of meat that has brought on the climate change? or destroying the earth? In what way has meat rearing destroyed or about to destroy the planet for our kids? You excuse yourself of liability when it comes to quarrying of minerals, felling of forests and everything else we have exploited to create the lifestyles we all share.

• Surely your not suggesting that its meat and the production of meat that has brought on the climate change? or destroying the earth?

Meat production has a massive impact on the environment and is absolutely contributing to the destruction of the earth. There are now too many people for sustainable meat consumption to be possible.

This article explains it amazingly well..http://www.worldwatch.org/node/549

• My family eats meat. I'm Gluten free so limited on food. My main reason is I like to buy as much local food and goods as I can. My Lamb comes from a local man who has free roaming sheep. He kills and butchers them him self. Other meats are from local farms. I think there are pitfalls for each diet . Every one has a right to choose what works best for there family. Unfortunately every choice has an impact on the environment .