You know, I'm starting to think I would really like living in a commune...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• But like... a fun one. With loads of cool hippies all chilling out and stuff. But... I'd need internet and stuff too lol ^_^

I wonder if there's anywhere I could go. I just love having people around all the time, like a fun little community. It's great to me :)

Any erm, thoughts on that?

Hoppipolla ^_^

• somewhere along the line ya gonna need funds/ work or donations, before ya either starve or turn to crime to feed yaselves, n can't see many people workin to feed lazy people if ya ent workin... unless ya in that big commune called the U.K. lol, nearest i can see though is a good old so called rough as fuck council estate where ya walk out ya door an next doors out in the street with everyone else avin a banter

• I live in a bender when im not in my van, there are a few of us. Idyllic, hard in the winter and we dont always get on! But good on the whole and nice that you can have your own space but drop in on eachother when you want. Rats are a prob. And feral dogs eating your food!

• Mainly because down here we call yearts, 'benders'. have just been informed that no one else actually calls them that..

er no we dont :) yurts are yurts and benders are benders - they completely different

diggers and dreamers lists all uk communities with spaces

• I like housing co-ops yeah. I think a ukhippy commune would be a good idea but it would have to be unofficial I reckon!

Thanks for the list, dazman :)

And I still don't get what a bender is lol

• Ha ha its a tent like structure made out of bent hazel poles with a few large canvas army tarps chucked over. Google bender tents. I would post a pic of mine but i only have a phone and dont think you can post pics from phones.

• Ha ha its a tent like structure made out of bent hazel poles with a few large canvas army tarps chucked over. Google bender tents. I would post a pic of mine but i only have a phone and dont think you can post pics from phones.

wow.. hm!

Out of interest... why not just use a biiiiig normal tent? I guess it's a little more... resourceful! I must admit there's something a bit generic about popping down to Millets lol

• wow.. hm!

Out of interest... why not just use a biiiiig normal tent? I guess it's a little more... resourceful! I must admit there's something a bit generic about popping down to Millets lol

Benders are made from heavy tarpaulin and the structure inside means they can be lined with blankets, fleece etc so they're warm in winter, (if you put a burner in.) You can't put a burner in a Millets tent and there's no insulation at all.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• What stardust said. Mine is stuffed on the inside with old jumpers as well as blankets and the like. The other advantage is you can use the sticks on the inside to hang pics on. Mine is 30ft long and has a store room extension. A full size oven and a bar! Plus i can cook on my wood burner. Its rock solid too in the winter. You done time in a bender stardust? Got any pics? Got a laptop now so wont be long till i can post some pics of it for those who are interested.

• What stardust said. Mine is stuffed on the inside with old jumpers as well as blankets and the like. The other advantage is you can use the sticks on the inside to hang pics on. Mine is 30ft long and has a store room extension. A full size oven and a bar! Plus i can cook on my wood burner. Its rock solid too in the winter. You done time in a bender stardust? Got any pics? Got a laptop now so wont be long till i can post some pics of it for those who are interested.

I'd love that...... One day!

I like moving about too much, so a van is the only option for me right now. I can see me being in a bender one day though.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I'd love that...... One day!

I like moving about too much, so a van is the only option for me right now. I can see me being in a bender one day though.

Cool! Well be sure to call me up when you have your bender building party! I got a black eye and nearly amputated my thumb building mine tho, first aid kit and a bottle of whisky essential...!

• Hm, I'm still thinking about this!

I think I ideally want somewhere casual and indoors... and without too many obligations... I'm the type of person who also likes to have my own space, make my own food, etc. That's not to say I'm not social - I love to be social - but I just like to make my own bit of food and chill out at the PC and whatever. I'm not really one for communal meals unless maybe they're irregular and just done for a bit of fun. I like my space too that's all :)