Best Description of Depression Ever!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I saw this on my Facebook newsfeed today, and it made so much sense that I've had to share it with everyone.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogs…/depression-part-two.html

It is quite a long read (though it does have quite a few laughs), but it is worth the read whether you have the illness or not - other gives a brilliant insight into what it is like to be depressed. It has pretty much summed up how I have been for the last 20 years! When I read this I could have cried with joy if I was able to...

• Haha... love the bit with the corn.

Depression felt a bit different for me. I cried a lot and seemed to be focussed on the negative things in life. In fact, now that I'm not depressed I feel more like I'm lacking in emotion.

• Can't ever say I've seen corn under the fridge... but there are certainly monsters under there :eek:

I think it can affect people in different ways, but in the same way, if you know what I mean. I become very negative (more than usual before anyone chirps up :P), and don't gain any pleasure from things I ought to... kinda propagates a downward spiral. Other times, the emotion.was there, and I yearned to be "comfortably numb" as the Floyd song went. Difficult to explain unless you've been there.

I think it was an interesting blog though, and it has done a lot of good, getting people to talk about depression but in a humorous way.

• Hey i think the dark days are behind me now, all i can remember is just black thats it really everything went black for months, i still went to work but weekends i just boarded myself in my house, shame really there s so much to do and live for and thats what i like to do, mt realese at the moment is work, i work like a loon but it keeps me from the black.

• ... i still went to work but weekends i just boarded myself in my house, my realese at the moment is work, i work like a loon but it keeps me from the black.

That's like me at the moment, work keeps me going and otherwise occupied. Glad you're heading away from the dark ddays now :)

• Can't ever say I've seen corn under the fridge... but there are certainly monsters under there :eek:

I think it can affect people in different ways, but in the same way, if you know what I mean. I become very negative (more than usual before anyone chirps up :P), and don't gain any pleasure from things I ought to... kinda propagates a downward spiral. Other times, the emotion.was there, and I yearned to be "comfortably numb" as the Floyd song went. Difficult to explain unless you've been there.

I think it was an interesting blog though, and it has done a lot of good, getting people to talk about depression but in a humorous way.

Yes i felt the yearning fir the comfortably numb thing, and that tune did kind of ring home at the time, i was drinking a bottle of jck daniels every week or every 2 weeks, had a couple of glasses every night, now i can take drink or leave it, weird thing was even of it was nice outside i actually got worse. Who knows darkness may crop up again one day but kind of numbing yourself to the world helps, but gradually i got out of being up or down and even just feeling in between in a niether happy or sad state, i am sort of normal these days some mornings i guess i am a bit misserable but i just live for each day and challenges work gives me. if it means working till 10 or 11 i dont care

• Weird thing is depression is more common than you think, you think oh its just me i am a dickhead etc, but truth be told a hell of a lot of people go through varying levels of it, caused by different things that crop up in life or just a breakdown, trick is to spot it and get through it

• Very true Gee, I believe about 1 in 4 people will experience depression at some stage in their life, and the big key is acknowledgment that you have it - then you can make things improve. I've past the darkest days for sure, but I won't say it is all bright and rosy (yet).

I think it is great when people can talk about it openly without fear of the stigmas that can be attached - that blog deserves praise for opening it up in a novel way :)

• Thanks SO much for posting that. It's brilliant how someone with such a cloud hanging over them can touch people, with their creativity, insight and humour. Reading the post made me realise that I'm not depressed.. well certainly not to that extent! More of a malaise.. which has plagued me for many years on and off.

And we can too often be our own worst enemies.. I've just had a few days off work and though it's been productive in some small ways, I've also spent tooo much time on the internet, as a result of not really knowing what to do with myself, feeling unable to get any momentum going, and then been annoyed with myself for wasting time!

Glad today I found this site incl this post, which inspired me to read more, and get involved by setting up a profile.. and I also just drew a cartoon of my last few days, as the hyperboleandahalf blog reminded me that not only do I enjoy reading cartoons that manage to sum up the darker things in life in a humorous way, but I also love drawing them myself.. so thanks Muninn, you've made my day that bit brighter. The internet can be a grand old waste of time, but it can also enrich our lives, and enable us to connect with others when feeling a bit lost n lonely!

Dotty

• Sorry to jump on this thread. Ive never been diagnosed with depression but I have been prescribed anti-convulsive medication that lists depression among it's side effects.
    I really didnt notice it at first. Now more people say they noticed the changes in me. It was the dog in hyberbole that really struck home I remember I didnt care about the business I'd built up, or my OU course, I was certain my husband was better of without me and I definitely didn't care about me, I just didnt eat what was the point... but our dog Bill kept coming up to me for cuddles.
    In the end as it was a side effect and not depression itself after 16mths I managed to get a neurologist to change my meds. Seemingly the personality change was remarkable and instant.
    As I said I don't have depression I simply had an insight. It wasnt a pleasant one at all. All of you that do manage your lives with the condition have my admiration.

• Haha... love the bit with the corn.

Depression felt a bit different for me. I cried a lot and seemed to be focussed on the negative things in life. In fact, now that I'm not depressed I feel more like I'm lacking in emotion.

Know exactly how you feel, i thought i was the only one.
    Just like going thru the motions without the feeling
    Not feeling depressed just kinda empty

• I think definatly environment and circumstances affect your mindset, if you feel you have no control of your life or work or just a catalogue of shite happens things can trigger off. I get tiny bouts of lowness now but nothing i cant handle, it weird its like i re wired myself.

• I think definatly environment and circumstances affect your mindset, if you feel you have no control of your life or work or just a catalogue of shite happens things can trigger off. I get tiny bouts of lowness now but nothing i cant handle, it weird its like i re wired myself.

Yeah in many situations mindset definitely plays a key role....luckily I've been able to 'rewire' myself to a certain degree through my practice of mindfulness and just learning how to not let my mind escalate things, only see the bleak, judge harshly..I'm not saying I've conqured it, but it definitely goes a long way into fixing the overall symptoms that cause depression...

• thanks for the post, i call mine the black dog (like spike milligan did), to my friends i say im in the black hole and they kind of know im being weird for a while! been this way for over 30 years now

• I used to do that, (i think winston chuchill called his depresive days his black dog) i used to do that say the black dogs back again its on my back etc. to be fair i think i made more of a meal of it made me think stuff over to much. I try not to now just get on with living life and not let anything ge me down.

A bit of shite got me down in the past, dad had a stroke in 2008, he was ill (he s a lot better now) he fell out with a bloke i worked with for 15 years and he had worked with for forty to 50 years, but refused to patch up. I started over when the bloke left a big hole in the outfit, then the recession bit hard, we lost a big job that we did for an estate they basicly dumped us after 10 years of loyal service. so we were in the wilderness the aprentice walked i felt bad he was always on his phone and we had to work as things were tight dad was hard on me i took everything personally and to be fair some of it was my fault when people hear your going nuts they talk. Anyway i just had a slow melt down behind the scenes. I feel stronger nowadays, impervious to what shit life throws at you. I just get on with life. stuff to do. I just get me shit together and deal with it. LIfes to short to be in the dumps. I wasted to years of weekends nights bank hols etc shut up in my bedroom with the blinds down. I am back and ready to live life.