Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm back at the yard. The nearest town has awesome bins. From Poundland I got 30, yes 30 dozen eggs. Two unopened boxes! The sell by date has just today gone, but the use by is 22 September so still good. I also got 25 tins of pulled pork!! The date on these was April. April 2020 that is!! I love it when shop staff can't get the grasp of dates.
    Moving on, I actually got something out of the centre's food bins. There's a health food shop, and in their bin was 12 500ml cartons of Hazelnut 'milk' and four packs of gluten free veggie pies, I will give them to my veggie dog. :)
    I finished my shopping spree at the KFC, picking up a whole carrier bag of yesterday's chicken.
    Eggs anybody?

You'd fall in pigshit n find a Rolex you would Vannie! Makes me sick...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1360][emoji8]

• A good day from the poundshop. A full box of I Can't Believe It's Not Buttter, a bin bag full of cheese (dairylea triangles, seriously strong spread, Cathedral City cheddar slices and cheese spread cubes) and bagged salad. Also bagged pears, nets of oranges and MORE eggs!!
    Half way through, a shop member of staff came out with another bag of mixed stuff. He said hello, and I said we wouldn't leave a mess. He said he knew we wouldn't!!
    The best bit was the cheese and 'butter' is still in date, varying from mid October to March next year!!

• A good day from the poundshop. A full box of I Can't Believe It's Not Buttter, a bin bag full of cheese (dairylea triangles, seriously strong spread, Cathedral City cheddar slices and cheese spread cubes) and bagged salad. Also bagged pears, nets of oranges and MORE eggs!!
    Half way through, a shop member of staff came out with another bag of mixed stuff. He said hello, and I said we wouldn't leave a mess. He said he knew we wouldn't!!
    The best bit was the cheese and 'butter' is still in date, varying from mid October to March next year!!

Wowwwww....Thats Really Great Vanwoman84:)

• Another awesome multi non-buy!! Just got 42 1.25L bottles of coca cola from the poundshop bin. Two unopened cases of 12, the rest loose. They are just out of date at then end of September but I don't care.
    Also other stuff, a ratchet screwdriver, a pack of knickers, a T shirt and loads of halloeen chocolate eyeballs dated Sept 2018.
    It took two trips to the van!!

• Post by paulpjack25 ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Post by Sootyfoot ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Nice one Alf! I just got another bag of KFC too. It would be rude not to.
    I discovered if you soak the chicken in water (I mostly get the boneless fillets) to get the coating off, you can make curry and stir fry from them. :)

• I've had two bizarre freegan/womble crossover incidents.
    First one was on Sunday. By a general recycling area, I found a massive bin bag of fruit and veg. Bananas, apples, aubergines and peppers.
    Then today, by a bench, a carrier bag of tinned food, dry rice and cous cous, all in date. Some of it was branded from the company 'Hello Fresh'. So I don't think it's somebody's shopping. Even if it was, there was nobody about so what else could I do but take it home? :)

• I was just round the back of the poundshop, merrily rummaging in their bin. I noticed a young woman come out of the back of a restaurant, it's a sort of Nadno's clone.

Her "are you alright?"

Me "yes fine thanks"

Her "are you sure you are alright?"

Me "yes I am fine :) "

She hung around awkwardly

Her "what are you doing?"

(at this point I thought she was going to tell me off for bin diving)

Me "er just looking for a few bits and pieces that might be useful"

I was on my second carrier bag by now.

Her "oh I thought you might be looking for food. We have some chicken left, do you want some?"

Me "oh most kind thanks"

Off she went and came back with a paper takeaway bag with a box of chicken fillets, still hot, complete with sauces and a napkin.

Me "Ooo thanks!"

Her "enjoy your meal, and have a nice evening"

The service was good, the chicken even nicer. :)

I also hit the motherload of sandwiches. At the back of the centre there's a compactor. Tonight next to it were five food bins! One had salad trimmings, another two coffee grounds. The other two had sandwiches and salads from Boots, today's date! I filled a carrier bag. I am awash with food!

• more bulk. A whole case of twelve tins of pulled pork, dated Apr 2020. Unopened and undamaged. Good job we like pulled pork. :)

Also three boxes of strawberry cupcakes, oranges and a massive bag of sandwiches from the same place as last week. With this amount of butties you can take the filling out and use them in stir fries and curries.

That said, there wasn't as many sanis as last week, so maybe somebody else got there before me. I hope the company that collects them don't complain, I didn't leave a mess, but didn't leave a single snack either!

• I thought I's posted this already. I got so much last time I was out, I had to use a nearby abandoned shopping trolley.

The brown box is a case of cooked chicken portions. The blue boxes are two cases of caramel cake bars, still in date. In the bags there's cooked burgers, sandwiches and loads of other food. Also a bag of non food including xmas decorations for the tree. :)IMG_20171205_185928.jpg

• more bulk! Today from a food factory I got 4kg of grated mature cheddar, 2kg of chopped mushrooms, 2L of cream and 1L garlic puree.

Cream of garlic mushroom soup tonight! :) I will go and get some posh bread from the local bakery skip to go with it.

• just got 15 dozen eggs on my way back to the yard. Also bacon, ham, pain au chocolat, about 20 bars of Bailey's chocolate, small pork pies (dog food) and from the charity shop saucepans and a near new griddle pan.

• for the third time in as many weeks, I had to use a shopping trolley! Two cases of apple pies, sausage rolls, small bottles of Pepsi and galaxy minstrels. It gets quite ridiculous at times.

Oh and more Christmas decs for the tree.

• for the third time in as many weeks, I had to use a shopping trolley! Two cases of apple pies, sausage rolls, small bottles of Pepsi and galaxy minstrels. It gets quite ridiculous at times.

Oh and more Christmas decs for the tree.

There is always a lot of surplus this time of year, the shops go mad. The reduced section of our local Tesco was bursting today. Not mega reductions because it wasn't even 4pm but there will be better reductions later.