Debit card fraud

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Yep four times in six months last year, they took a wonga loan, iTunes spending, PayPal and random purchases. Think my details were swiped at a machine.

Shit :eek: This is the first time for me. Hmmm... I wonder if mine were. I've only been in Norfolk two weeks and this has happened! Although I was in Milton Keynes last weekend, so maybe it happened there.

• A few years ago my bank called me and asked if I had taken out a loan, I said no they then asked me if I had a magazine subscription, no again, dont know how they spotted it but they blocked them straight away.

• I've been told that locally some petrol stations had dodgy chip and pin machines that stole your details... they tried to do me out of over £2k on software from Russia... like I ever have that much in my account :D Thankfully my bank stopped it immediately, though they did top up some mobile phone with it, suspect they were testing the card to see if it worked.

I generally make a habit of carrying cash or using the cash machines inside banks or shops, these are less likely to have skimmers attached to them.

• Same thing happened to me and the police traced it back to a petrol station I had used. When entering your pin, make sure theres no CCTV cameras pointed at the chip n pin device cos thats what they were doing.I have been the victim of identity fraud three times now!!

• Happened to me when I got a contract phone with O2. Loads went out including microsoft memberships for xbox, other contract phones, top ups. The bank told me that it's not the 1st time it had happened with O2 :eek: They refunded my money then went after O2 themselves.

• Yup twice in the last year or so for me. The fraud people picked up on it really quick though and the only transactions they questioned were some phone top ups.....i had to sign a form to say that it wasn`t me and they credited it back to my account. Dirty feckers tried to book a flight to Malaysia!

• my bank were very nice - we were away on holiday and we tried to top up our phones, mine went ok, then doing the wifes it wouldnt work, apparently now the banks wont let you top up more than one phone number on an o2 account on any card, so they stopped my card, we then tried on my credit card, so they stopped that too. apparently they did try and contact me first - on my home phone??? but it left me stuck in st albans with no access to any money or ability to pay for anything. fortunately we just had enough petrol to get home, I spent 2 hours on the phone clearing up the mess, and was then told my cards would be reactivated in the next 3 days, so had 3 days to wait before I could fill the car with petrol. so the banks are checking, but sometimes their security can be nearly as bad as the fraudsters leaving you with no money (not that there is any money in my accounts at the moment for them to nick.)
    Grendel

• Got hit last year for £300. Bank refunded immediately I noticed, mainly because the fraudsters cloned a cashpoint card as a debit card (which I don't have) and withdrew three lots of money in Quito - bank wouldn't fund me for an investigative trip out there though...

• There's a local one doing the round of the petrol stations to be aware of. They're charging you for more than you purchased and then claiming it was a mistake if questioned. Always check before putting your pin in that it's the right amount. It's much easier to steal small amounts.

The other thing I always do is cover my pin. No matter where I am, I put my hands over it. Little things like that are enough to help stop them getting their theiving hands on your money.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I have had some scum bag try and take money off me, thankfully my bank was on the ball and called me as soon as it happened, a couple of the transactions they listed were ones that I did make, however there was a couple that were made that were for vodaphone top ups. Firstly my phone is with Orange and secondly I am on contract, so my card was stopped.

I racked my brain over where my details were stolen from, however I came to the conclusion that it was probably likely from an online retailer who were storing card details on their own server which got hacked.

When shopping online, my best advice is to look for online stores that uses a payment gateway service. This way your card details are never seen or handled by the merchant and also this ensures that your card details are not stored on some unsecure server. The payment gateway services also have algorithms that will spot any anomalies and reject a payment if it is suspicious.

Holding your hand over the keypad will keep your pin secure only if the pin numbers are being harvested by a camera, however it will not keep your pin safe if the keypad has been hacked and a key logger is being used.

• Crikey. Barclays still haven't refunded the money, despite them saying they have done. Also, they've let one of the transactions that was on hold, go through. So they owe me more money now. Wish they'd hurry up and sort it out!

• this is something which is happening in my area ... 3 or 4 people are involved in the racket ... what happens is that two people will position themselves so they watch you enter your pin number in shops and supermarkets etc .. one will try and get the first two numbers and the second person will them move so they can see the next two... these they call out in their own language to the other people involved .. then they follow you hoping that you will continue shopping and provide an opportunity for them to steal your card. they'll even follow you to your car or even to your house and involve other people via mobiles if they think you are likely to have a very healthy bank account.

I've identified one team doing this and have embarassed them at my local aldi's by telling everyone in the queue at the till what they were up to . . . often the team will only buy one item which frees up the others to move ahead in the queue to watch the victim enter their numbers ... and once they have your pin and card they dash off to shops and businesses they know where a signature is not required . . .

keep alert and keep ya money ...

• Happened to me couple of years ago, who ever it was ordered loads of crap on amazon and even had the neck to pay for a months subscription to world of warcraft!

• Post by daisyrogers ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I always try to use the cash machine inside the bank if I can or one where there are plenty of people around on the theory that fraudsters won't try anything if they know they may be seen. These scumbags will try anything to get your money..... :curse:

• Wakey wakey lovely hippy folk...

Being as nobody had mentioned I had to chip in... it sounds like almost all of the fraud described above is based on cardholder not present...

Which means it's NOT your PIN that's been compromised, it's the CVV security code on the back of the card.

Odds are, assuming nobody dodgy has access to your card, that you've either let someone see the CVV, or given it away online, either by buying something from a dodgy / compromised merchant, or by falling for a phishing scam.

The commonest offline way for this to happen offline is probably if the machine won't read your card, and the retailer takes it from you "to clean the strip / chip". The whole idea of chip + pin is that you should never have to hand your card to the retailer... don't do it. The same is also possible with a very cleverly positioned camera (look for pin machine in a funny place or anything odd positioned close to it)... but NOT with regular CCTV cameras, even if they might be able to pick up your PIN.

Fortunately, fraud originating from retailers in this way is very easily detected... of 100 fraud victims what are the odds that all of them just happened to drop into the same petrol station... therefore any retailer who is knowingly doing this won't last long... when it does happen it normally involves short lived members of staff rather than the petrol station franchisee themselves. Therefore... don't think dodgy petrol station owners... think places with high staff turnover... fast food outlets etc.

Protecting your PIN is a good idea... but really you're protecting it from people who might punch you and take your card... not from any more complicated form of fraud.... but guard your CVV with your life!

...and Jim SD... beg to differ... most offline fraudsters will happily operate in plain view, it's more or less obligatory as cameras are everywhere. A mug shot is worthless unless you have a suspect to compare it to - and given the sheer volume of fraud taking place the odds of catching anyone from a picture are next to zero. It's only if the perpetrator gets nicked anyway that there is any real chance of CCTV evidence being of any value.

And whilst it's obviously hideous to be the victim of fraud, these people aren't any more scumbags than anyone else who's actively participating in capitalism... just hungry (whether literally or figuratively) people who see an opportunity to profit from the labours of others, and are willing to take it... same as every shareholder in the land.

Not saying it's an OK thing to do... just that judging or labelling people who do these things as somehow fundamentally different to any of the rest of us is to fail to understand human nature.

Anyway, hope the bank get you sorted out soon starling :)

• I view them as better than people whom do physical harm...

No, i've never had my details stolen, but I consistantly have my card blocked by the bank, followed by a call from the fraud team. Apparently my average spending is "suspicious" O.O Does this happen to anyone else?