Where do you think Britains holiest place is?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I was prompted to start this by an article on the BBC website tonight - I don't really know the answer but I've been to a few places that could have the answer....Glastonbury Tor being one.

Anyone have any suggestions while I think of some.......

• That's a hard question eh...........one of the places I found had a big spiritual impact on me was the old chapel, now the tourist info place, at Avebury. For some reason that really hit me that way........Glastonbury Tor ,I agree with,,,,,,,,,love it there.

• Definately the vale of Avalon/Glastonbury

I do get a big hit off the 12 apostles on Ilkley moor. Unfortunately I cannot stay for long in places that have strong energies as they make me feel ill. I once stood in a place where a white witch said there was a energy vortex, I was on the spot for about a 20 seconds & I almost was physically sick. I cant even hold powerful crystals for long without them hurting my hand.

no idea why. I was once given some red jasper at a festival & when I got home my son who was about 6 at the time picked it up & held it, the smooth stone sheared in half in his hand & he dropped it looking worried, i picked it up & it was red hot.....We both dont mess with energies, were not sure why but they seem to bother us both very vividly.

Not sure of why these things happen to us.

• Lindisfarne definatley, also St Ninians chapel in Galloway. Glastonbury and Wells are rich in holiness but my personal favourite is Mow Cop in Staffordshire which is a truly awesome place where very holy and very militant gatherings took place ...preachers fighting the right to worship for ALL, not just the rich... The view and the history combined make it my hearts most holy place....where land meets the heavens with no shelter from the magnificence of nature :)

• I'd expand that to include the whole of Glastonbury, really.

I bow to your superior wisdom :D...but the thought of the Tor somehow makes the hairs on the back of my neck prickle

• Post by rainbowliving ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Woods and forests.

Sitting under a tree, looking up and letting my mind get lost in the branches and leaves - can't really explain what happens but it does affect me in a deep and spiritual sense

• I would have to say Avebury. It's the place I head for automatically when my soul needs healing.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I bow to your superior wisdom :D...but the thought of the Tor somehow makes the hairs on the back of my neck prickle

Depends what you mean by "Britain's holiest place" really. I have loads of places that are significant to me, but from the title of the thread I kinda assumed you had something more objective in mind, rather than just personal?

Glastonbury has the longest unbroken tradition of multi-faith worship in this country, stretching back to the probable Neolithic sculpting of the tor, through to likely druidic use, through to early Celtic and Saxon Christianity, passing smoothly through to the Norman Christians, and then finally onto the pagans and new-agers and pretty much every other faith that you can find in Britain today - right down to the Greek Orthodox church. It has goddess conferences, Christian pilgrimages, pagan temples, and a vast diversity of multi-faith activity. Whatever you think of it (and I have a lot of thoughts on the subject :reddevil:), I can't think of a single place that comes close to equalling it on that level. That accolade would have to encompass more than just the tor though, since the rest of the island was equally significant (Glastonbury has a number of holy springs as well as the better known ones, and it was the abbey that was known as "holiest earth of England".

On a personal level though, I'd be hard pressed to choose a place that was most significant to me. There's just too many of them :S

• Woods and forests.

Sitting under a tree, looking up and letting my mind get lost in the branches and leaves - can't really explain what happens but it does affect me in a deep and spiritual sense

Yes I totally agree, being in an old wood.......nothing like it

Back when I was a bad lad (In all kinds of trouble) I used to go to a small very old forest known locally as "Devils Elbow" It has a very old- warm feeling to it. I used to go there & just be invisible to others, I'd literally spend all day there. It was a place that made me feel safe. When I got older I moved away & have not been back there for about 13 years.....
    Then one day I took my other half & my son there to show them where I used to go & play. she loved the atmosphere (she is very spiritual), she told me that the place really liked me being there and she was sure the place was smiling at me.

I'm not a spiritual person as such, but i do live on my feelings (If that makes sense?!?)

• Among woods and trees, especially by the side of a river (without the midges), Chalice gardens at Glastonbury is special as well, but Nine ladies also has something magical about it.

• Depends what you mean by "Britain's holiest place" really. I have loads of places that are significant to me, but from the title of the thread I kinda assumed you had something more objective in mind, rather than just personal.

I really didn't have anything too much in mind other than trying to tap into peoples personal feelings. I would imagine that most of the places that would lay claim to being Britains holiest spot would. by the very nature of their claims, be too touristy to be of interest....so, yes, I guess it's personal opinions I'm looking for.

I visited Canterbury Cathedral a couple of years back and didn't find it felt holy at all but I've been to other places and almost felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickle with the sheer spirituality of the building or whatever.

• thats what wells cathedral does to me Jim...i always find great peace there but think twas probably very sacred and holy before christianity even...just has that feel. My favourite ancient places are seven sisters at stanton moor, stanton drew, stoney littleton longbarrow and parts of the avebury complex...well certain stones there.

• Stonehenge was a real hit of energy the first time I touched the Heel Stone one winter solstice. Used to love going to Rollwright Stones as it was my (then) closest site, and to the Nine Maidens in Derbyshire. Had a bad experience there one summer solstice when a load of neo-nazis turned up the day before to hold a ceremony (to the shock of the gathered hippies camping there) dedicated to "Thor and the white race". They'd come marching across the moor waving flags, in combat gear and surrounded the stones giving us the "if you move or say anything we'll kick your effing heads in" stares.
    The bad vibes that were in the stones after they'd gone was horrific, it crawled on your skin.... :eek:

I'm lucky to be living in Cornwall now where there are masses of sites, I love the sites down Penwith way: Zennor Quoit, Men An Tol, Lanyon Quoit ...
    As to the holiest place for me it has to be where I feel/felt it to be, as opposed to an actual holy place. When I do hypnotherapy/guided meditations you're asked to visualise a special place and for me it's either a tree I used to sit under as kid in nearby woodlands, or strangely enough the beach or cliffs around Porthcurno.

• Lord S, one of my favourites down your way has to be Boscawen-un - a bit of a sod to get to, so not overrun by "Emmets", and has a wonderful air to the place.

Avebury and it's surrounding area is an amazing place for me - makes Stonehenge look slightly crap! :insane: Lincoln Cathedral also did something for me, which is odd given I lived within walking distance of York Minster during my childhood.

• It might be a tumour

• thats what wells cathedral does to me Jim...i always find great peace there but think twas probably very sacred and holy before christianity even...just has that feel. My favourite ancient places are seven sisters at stanton moor, stanton drew, stoney littleton longbarrow and parts of the avebury complex...well certain stones there.

There's one part of Wells Cathedral always gets to me Sarah - there's a door leading up to the chapter house and the first time I opened it was on a gloriously sunny day so the sun was pouring through the windows and down the magnificent flight of stairs. What really sticks in my mind is the wear on the stairs from centuries of feet walking up and down.

• Caldey island off tenby pembrokeshire
    I first went to visit the monastry wen i wad about 8 i suspect now its become more touristy
    Bluebell woods near whalley abbey and the abbey itsself do it for me
    Im not a religious person but as a child my mum took me to church every week
    The old church st bartholemews in my town has so much beauty and holds so many memories as my mum and brother had their services there wen they died
    The stone circle at silverdalev

• Stonehenge......... went there as a kid touched one of the stones and went flying in the air landing almost on the altar stone. felt like a shock surged through my body and then blow me out. by this time people were asking if i was aright. and i just cried. and ran for the coach as fast as i could. never been back.but the static followed me.

• Stonehenge has an extremely magnetic pull for me. But not in its current state. I don't want to visit when its off limits or infested with cops.

Avebury, probably.