Wooden things

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Haven't had a chance to do much burning lately, but here's another showman's traction engine that I was asked to do recently as a commission. Excuse the photo quality.....it was taken on my phone.

• Been playing around with threshold light n dark portrait images on the 'puter.

I decided to burn some portraits of my kids. These are fairly small on 6-7cm birch ply hearts.

I'm trying for the 'face lit up by a spotlight' type image....not sure if they are perfect, but not bad for a 1st attempt.

• Those are lovely. I especially like the portraits. Its anazing what you can do with just light and dark.

just curious, where do you get your wooden pieces from? I got a wood burner for xmas and would like to have a go.

• Those are lovely. I especially like the portraits. Its anazing what you can do with just light and dark.

just curious, where do you get your wooden pieces from? I got a wood burner for xmas and would like to have a go.

I can't remember the name of the guy right now, but I will dig out the details and try and post them later.

- - - Updated - - -

Katzenjammer is awesome dude!

They are indeed:hippy:

Eventually found out the suppliers I use.

These guys for the smaller haning hearts (like the latest portraits)

http://baileywood.co.uk/c/6/wooden-craft-shapes

and these guys for the larger sycamore plaques for bigger pictures

http://www.dalescraft.com/product-category/large-plaques/

There's loads of other suppliers, but you do need to look out for the type of wood they use. MDF is no good and smells bad to burn due to the glues used in its manufacture - not nice :vomit:

Birch, birch ply and sycamore/maple are the best woods. Clean and white for good contrast. You can use beech and even oak, but you will find the grain 'picks up' in some places more that others, so getting even colour and shading is more difficult.

• OK.....it's been a stressful week....and when the stress kicks in I turn to wood burning to settle my mind a bit.

So here's a couple of items that I've done this week.

Ash walking stick made from a strange shaped sapling that was growing in the wrong place in my mums garden. It had been cut off before and grown up again leaving a useful shape that once turned upside down made a great walking stick and the funny shaped end is really comfortable in the hand and stops your hand slipping. It still needs varnishing. the flower vine pattern has just been free drawn on there, then burnt on.

The photo I started with for the kids pyrography portrait

the finished item on 15cm x 9cm maple

the actual burnt image is only about 9cm x 6cm

• Another mini burning. Mermaid on a 7cm birch ply heart. So difficult to stop the burn spreading out on the wood and obliterating the detail on something so small.....even with the heat settings turned down and gently blowingon the burning nib whilst working.

• Another few small 7cm wooden hearts

I'm a sad VW camper nerd so decided to do a miniature picture of an aircooled VW engine.....sad I know. :o

A basic camper pic

and some useful advice

• I have always been fasinated by Green Man images. I have a chunk of lime wood roughed out and ready to carve into a green man mask......but it's stayed that way for over a year as I struggle to find the time at present to complete it.

So...I thought I would attempt a Green Man wood burning instead. I can pick this up more easily and do it a bit at a time. I found an image off the net that I liked......I couldn't find the name of the artist though.

I've also always liked the following Green Man poem.

I am the stirring in the spring
    Leaves of green and sap for blood
    Misty folklore memory
    I am the glimpse in the autumn wood
    You've carved my face in wood and stone
    And I look down upon your prayers and song
    But though I dwell in your halls and churches
    Its in the wild free woodland that I belong.

Anyhow.....all this waffling brings me to the end product. A green man burning on a 30cm by 20 cm beech chopping board.

• OK.....it's been a stressful week....and when the stress kicks in I turn to wood burning to settle my mind a bit.

So here's a couple of items that I've done this week.

Ash walking stick made from a strange shaped sapling that was growing in the wrong place in my mums garden. It had been cut off before and grown up again leaving a useful shape that once turned upside down made a great walking stick and the funny shaped end is really comfortable in the hand and stops your hand slipping. It still needs varnishing. the flower vine pattern has just been free drawn on there, then burnt on.

Whilst the one in your mum's garden might have been accidental, similar shaping of living trees has been used in manufacturing for a long time. Basically if you can grow wood into a shape it is much stronger than having to make joints in separate pieces. E.G. you can use the bows as a very strong natural structural arch. So for furniture making and structures such as ship and house building people practiced this technique, manipulating growing wood for things which required thicknesses too big to bend safely by steaming.

However it takes many years to wait for the trees to grow and you have to wait years to see how successful you were. For that reason and the development of laminated wood techniques it is not very well known and now is no longer considered for industry. These days tree shaping tends to be for artistic and sculptural purposes. (which look awesome imho)

There is a town in Poland where there is a forest of trees like that, but of course it it is called "The Mysterious Forest" because it looks spooky and a name like that is more of tourist attraction. The original purpose of this particular forest has been lost because they were planted before WW2 and of course that region was severely affected by that. I did read once it was for furniture making which fits in with it being pine and the trees being laid out in rows rather than randomly scattered, but don't quote me as I cant verify the reference from years ago.

Maybe you can convince your mum to re-discover this art and keep you supplied with cool shapes.

Ian

http://www.poland.travel/en/na…zywy-las-in-nowe-czarnowo

• Ian.....I have grown a few basic curved walking sticks years ago, by bending over small Hazel branches and then waiting a few years! maybe I'll have to find somewhere to grow some more interesting shapes.

anyhow....here's the latest little one. a face on a 7cm birch heart

• I love the tree spirit/tree of life one, do you sell these?

Thanks Sammy. I do sell these sometimes - The tree of life one a gave away to someone who I felt needed it more than me.

Mainly they are done as a way of relieving stress. When I sit down to burn, the rest of the world melts away!

But my sister sells wooden crafts on a stall in Glossop. Since I'm at the other end of the country in Hampshire, she sometimes picks up a few of my bits and takes them to sell, and I do take a few commissions when I have the time.