Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Do people still use email much?

I tend to use it a lot & demand that all personal communication is via email. I avoid the likes of facebook as much as possible.

I was surprised the other day when my daughter (away at uni) said that her friends find email too much hassle. I remember when email started to gain popularity it was so useful, impersonal, to the point and almost instant yet retaining the ability to pick it up when you are ready.

Years ago I had people at work phone me cause I didn't answer the email they sent 20 minutes earlier, I guess it's these people that are fans of instant communication. I find always on methods to be intrusive, how do others feel ?

• I prefer communication through email. At work I much prefer it customers communicate to me through email rather than calling up and asking to be dealt with there and then, because I am dealing with hi-tec equipment, I quite often get the odd customer who would throw a curve ball at me. It is quite hard to help them on the phone, but with email I can leave it in my inbox for half a day whilst I have a think about their problem and then get back to them when I have a solution.

I also do dev work as part of my job and when I am trying to work out a particularly difficult solution, it gets extremely annoying when I have to deal with somebody who needs to learn what an on/off switch does.

• I like email for work, then I can just ignore it until I am up for reading it. :o Personally, its all done via facebook nowadays, which is sad.

• Yeah it's nice to be able to ignore things. While in IT I hated the phone or face to face customers; I could be in the middle of an investigation & suddenly get dragged down to earth & totally forget what I was doing :) Funny I don't particularly like being called at home either.

You use FB for work Kez?

• I only use e mail , don't do face book, dont own a mobile phone , and never answer the land line , unless it rings about 20 times , then I will check for a message , but I can only hear it if I am in the kitchen anyway. (was a bit of an incident a while back when MB fell off the horse in the woods and couldn't catch it and kept phoning).

• No facebook for work, but facebook for my sons, brother in NZ and the distant brother in Glossop :eek: I do accounts, so its better for them to email me, anything important I can forward to archives for when they want to try to sue me

• Facebook and viber for my daughters and my wife's family and Facebook for my disparate siblings. Email is a work thing with office communicator for those with no legs (it makes us look busy when we aren't)

• I used to like email but now I get waaaaay too much of it - even when I've filtered out the spam - and find it really annoying!

But hasn't FB & co. gone that way now? The few times I use it I find the information rushes past my eyes to the extent that I don't bother looking.

Facebook and viber for my daughters and my wife's family and Facebook for my disparate siblings. Email is a work thing with office communicator for those with no legs (it makes us look busy when we aren't)

Haha sounds like most work places!

• Gotta say I totally agree with you barefoot_surfer, been in that position myself too many times. Usually, I'll be remoted onto a PC trying to figure out WTF x application is not doing what it is meant to when someone will call me to say the problem they logged a call a few weeks back (and not even bothered to reply to my previous emails about) is happening again and can I fix it now.

Oh, and I love my out of office auto-reply as I've set it to include the original mail. It means I can read their mail (from the sent items) without having to open the one in the inbox (and thus not marked as 'read') so that gives me more space to figure out the problem.

• [quote='FriedOnion','http://ukhippy.com/freakpower/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=1227597#post1227597']But hasn't FB & co. gone that way now? The few times I use it I find the information rushes past my eyes to the extent that I don't bother looking.True, tho FB posts tend to be considerably shorter than the wordy convoluted emails I get in my work account!