Green smoothies?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm trying to come up with some healthy and varied breakfast ideas, rather than the processed crap or toast that I usually just grab in the morning. I have a few ideas, and green smoothies sound like something that might be good to include a few times a week. I just googled for recipes though, and the very first result that came up is one that's full of the TERRIBLE DANGERS of green smoothies!

http://www.thehealthyhomeecono…an-devastate-your-health/

Do you think they may have over-emphasized the risks a little bit? When it comes to leafy greens I know I'm definitely not getting enough (I honestly don't think there's any risk of me overdosing on them!), and I really feel that I should be upping my nutrient levels in general.

Does anyone else here drink green smoothies regularly?

• I read that too but I think that as long as you apply 'moderation in all things' it would be ok. I think taken to the extreme it may have an adverse effect but then so would too much of anything.

I've started having this....... blend..

2 handfuls spinach
    1 apple
    1 banana
    1 cup yoghurt
    5 strawberries
    1/2 orange

its's yummy!

• green veg makes sex painful? :/

i'd ignore that site and carry on, personally. or ask ur dr if ur worried about anything.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Hi :waves: I started drinking greens a few years back, in Canada, where I could buy ready mixed concentrated greens in a liquid form. Here I buy powdered form Nature's Living superfood which is veggie + probiotics - I put 1/2 teaspoon of this and about two tablespoons of Udo's choice greens, nuts and seeds mix into any juice. The energy I get from this is amazing and I don't get hungry..I always had a problem with breakfast, can never eat much before 10 - 11 A.M. so this is great to keep me going ...I order from Kiki Ltd. online...very eco conscious company and good prices.
    I choose the concentrated type as due to soil erosion the plants are not as nutrient full as they should be...maybe if you grow your own it's better. Plus you get the little micro plants and cresses in the mix.
    I find it's great as I can fill empty water/juice bottles and carry them with, especially if I'm going for a longish drive, or coach tour w/e.

In an aside to the article you mention, the pharmacutical companies and food industry would hate us to be thinking for ourselves, and Heaven forbid be healthy! - and generally the media plays along, so yes, they over-emphasize the risks involved in anything 'alternative' !
    Hope this helps, just my thoughts! :)

• the source of the article was another article which only said high amounts of spinach can cause kidney stones.... :/

there are several refutations of the article as well. inc http://greensmoothiegirl.com/2…es-devastate-your-health/ (although that one prob has its own bias, but still, nice to read 2 sides) :)

Thanks for that article, she certainly provides far more evidence of the facts she's quoting than the first one. If I'd noticed the bit at the end about always cooking leafy greens and eating them with butter I probably would have ignored it!

In an aside to the article you mention, the pharmacutical companies and food industry would hate us to be thinking for ourselves, and Heaven forbid be healthy! - and generally the media plays along, so yes, they over-emphasize the risks involved in anything 'alternative' !
    Hope this helps, just my thoughts! :)

I had a bit of a scout round the site after reading the article to see if the website wasn't owned by some official health body or organisation with their own agenda to promote. I still have no idea who the woman is, but I think I'll be taking her nutrition advice with a 'pinch of salt' from now on!

I'm looking forward to spring when I can start adding nettle leaves to my smoothies again :)