just had an eviction notice

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hej

got home from work today to find an eviction notice on my truck by the local council (the same local council who pay my wages!!!).

as the vehilce is parked outside the adress it is registered at (my friends house) and i am on her council tax am i right in beleiving this is not enforceable in any way?

i have phoned them and left a message informing them i am living at her address, will this be sufficient in getting them to foxtrot oska?

also what exactly constitutes 'living in a vehicle on the public highway' is it a period of time? or is it having no other address?

not had one of these before as i tend not to park in such snooty areas generally.

sorry i have not posted in a while but i have not had time due to my truck suffering major structural failures.

hope y'all are well and thank in advance for any info/links over this

• I am aware that people are not allowed to stay in a vehicle or caravan on someone's driveway, because I did this for a while at my parent's - I never received an eviction notice or threat of one, but my parents looked it up to make sure and it was easy for me to make it look like I wasn't living in it - as it was, I did everything except sleep and chill out, inside my parent's home. No cooking facilities in the bus I had back then.

You will need to look like you are living in your friend's house. Speak to your boss and explain how upset you are and that your bus is unmovable at this current time due to it's failures. They may be willing to help.

• If the vehicle is taxed and insured , and its parked legally , dont see what they can do if you are not in it!
    I could be wrong . I would just move it a 100 meters,

tonight and last night i'm not due to insulation problems, but i am most of the time. can't sleep on the sofa too much here, its more an 'on paper' living here and am only here for a few more weeks to finish of the repairs to insulation/interior to make it habitable again over winter.

the notice just lists a road i'm evicted from. however this is the best road to safely park the vehicle nearby to the house (don't like parking too near junctions or blocking roads to emergency services due to narrowing roads). the notice evicts me for three months andf i will need to park there within that time for ongoing repairs.

dj can't speak to boss in that way, i work for a department and they would have no influence.

• many years ago I had a similar situation with my van, I wasnt living in it but it was parked outside the house off road alongside the hedge to our council house, in the shared paring area at the end of the village high street outside the church. one day I was approached by the local bobby, who had been ordered by the areas chief constable to get the van moved as it lowered the tone of the village (the chief constable was on the parish council) well he looked it up and the first two feet from the hedge that the van was parked on was the right of access to the house, the next two feet was owned by the parish council and the remainder by the county council. He informed me that he could impose a fine on me for parking there, (but then informed me that if he did this he would also have to fine all of the congregation of the church who parked there on a sunday morning (including his chief of police)).
    he then made some enquiries and anothe parish counciler was a farmer who owned some land just out of the village, an arrangement was made for me to store my van in a suitable area in a field on his farm (I also cheekily got permission to put my caravan there too), both the van and caravan were used most weekends in pursuit of my hobby - re-enactment.
    as far as I can tell they can give you a ticket for 'parking off the public highway' (even when it is the designated church car park) but its not generally one that can be made to stick if they dont apply it to everyone who parks there.
    if you werent in the van when they put the ticket on it how do they know you are living in it, as far as they know you could be spending your spare time doing the necessary work (would explain lights at all hours) and you would need the heating on to dry the paint!
    Best of luck.
    Grendel

• Years ago you had to move the vehicle a full turn of the wheels every 24hours. Sounds like the ban is now from that named street. Sleeping in a vehicle constitutes living in it, if it is a regular spot and sleeping regular /days/nights, more than 3 nights constitutes full time Living/sleeping in the vehicle & this is what they are preventing. Not the parking of the vehicle. Now they are on your case they will keep n eye on the property and have probably encouraged a neighbor to monitor your/vehicle activity. Having served you notice, they can now act with the police enforcement. The vehicle can be lifted and impounded at a cost to you, if you are found in breach. If these laws weren't enforceable our streets would be full of vehicle dwellings.

• Years ago you had to move the vehicle a full turn of the wheels every 24hours. Sounds like the ban is now from that named street. Sleeping in a vehicle constitutes living in it, if it is a regular spot and sleeping regular /days/nights, more than 3 nights constitutes full time Living/sleeping in the vehicle & this is what they are preventing. Not the parking of the vehicle. Now they are on your case they will keep n eye on the property and have probably encouraged a neighbor to monitor your/vehicle activity. Having served you notice, they can now act with the police enforcement. The vehicle can be lifted and impounded at a cost to you, if you are found in breach. If these laws weren't enforceable our streets would be full of vehicle dwellings.

does that mean if you spend a few days in a camper van at the side of the road it can be evicted from that road?

• does that mean if you spend a few days in a camper van at the side of the road it can be evicted from that road?

In theory Yes. If the local authority make it or have made a bye-law that camping (within a area or a specific area or as they often refer to it as NO OVERNIGHT SLEEPING or if they serve you notice. They can evict you from that pitch or street or village or town or even that county. Under the criminal justice bill. The eviction can be acted upon by police acting under the authority of that metropolitan/county/district or parish council, without the need for them to return to court to get another eviction order.

• I am aware that people are not allowed to stay in a vehicle or caravan on someone's driveway, because I did this for a while at my parent's - I never received an eviction notice or threat of one, but my parents looked it up to make sure and it was easy for me to make it look like I wasn't living in it - as it was, I did everything except sleep and chill out, inside my parent's home. No cooking facilities in the bus I had back then.

You will need to look like you are living in your friend's house. Speak to your boss and explain how upset you are and that your bus is unmovable at this current time due to it's failures. They may be willing to help.

A caravan can be used within the curtilage of your property provided it is not used as a separate dwelling. In other words it must be a use which is ancillary to the residence, an addition to the use of the house but not independent of it. You can use the caravan as a
    granny annexe for example. There has to be some shared relationship between the caravan and the house. It could be used as an extra room or bedroom and it does not matter that it is connected to the mains services but you must make sure that it remains
    moveable.

Src: https://docs.google.com/viewer…h5s97eoB0egJPu5J5lqlPUGFA

Basically - you dont need planning to live in a caravan on your drive, PROVIDING it is ancillary to the main house. This means that as long as you take your main meals in the main house, you can live in the caravan.

• A caravan can be used within the curtilage of your property provided it is not used as a separate dwelling. In other words it must be a use which is ancillary to the residence, an addition to the use of the house but not independent of it. You can use the caravan as a granny annexe for example. There has to be some shared relationship between the caravan and the house. It could be used as an extra room or bedroom and it does not matter that it is connected to the mains services but you must make sure that it remains moveable. Src: https://docs.google.com/viewer…h5s97eoB0egJPu5J5lqlPUGFA Basically - you dont need planning to live in a caravan on your drive, PROVIDING it is ancillary to the main house. This means that as long as you take your main meals in the main house, you can live in the caravan.

I think the issue here is living on a PUBLIC HIGHWAY. Not within the property boundary.

• This is why I stay on camp sites. It is an easy way to keep under the radar - and I get an electric hook up and use of showers. It does cost a bit but I prefer it to staying on the side of a road.