Is your driving licence up to date?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I know I made a post about this a couple of years back but a timely reminder has just appeared on the BBC today. A lot of people assume that the modern photo driving licence is the same as the old paper type in that it lasts until you are 70 but, in fact, it needs to be renewed every ten years with an up to date photograph and there could be a £1,000 fine if you don't do it so please take a minute to check out the back of your licence. :hippy:

Quote from BBC

These are usually valid for 10 years and there is a legal requirement for drivers to renew the photograph at the same time as they renew their licence.However, two million drivers have failed to do this.
    And this means they could be fined up to £1,000 should they be pulled over by the police, who then discover that the photo and licence is out of date.
    Even failing to notify the DVLA that you have changed address could be costly.

• I still have the old paper one so I've got 55 more years till I have to worry.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• the plastic one is worth diddly squat... if you get pulled by dibble you need to produce your paper license come what may... the plastic one IS NOT a license (the paper bit is) but you need both to be legal - unless you still have the old style paper one :shrug: nuts int it!

• I had to get the plastic one when I had my crb check, cause I mislaid the paper one, so you have to pay every ten years once you are on the slippery slope of plastic license? Like a tax to drive then :S confusing

• At a coach company I used to work for a surprising amount of drivers had no idea there licence expired due to the photo. Some were actually out of date and others openly argued with me saying it was rubbish and the company having a go. Well worth a reminder I think Mr. Stardust Snr.

Through violence you may solve one problem, but you will sow the seeds for another...

• The DVLA sometimes send out a reminder to renew your licence. In our case they sent a reminder to me but included the suggestion that my wife also renew. I ignored this suggestion thinking they were scamming and thinking I was being clever. They did NOT send another renewal notice for my wife and some months later - when a speed camera intervened - we found out her licence was expired.

So DVLA only sometimes send out renewals.

• Apparently they are getting rid of the paper one in 2015, so when you renew you will just get the plastic which makes sense.

I understood that to mean that they are phasing out the old style paper license, which means that people like myself who have so far avoided all this hassle with photo cards will no longer have that option. You will still have the paper part to accompany the new style licences.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• That's what I thought as well, but this article makes it sound like it's the other

It will disappear in 2015, after which only a photocard will be issued. Details of driving convictions will be held on computer and made available to car hire companies and foreign authorities.

Full linkage

• I stand corrected! And reeeeally hope that means I get to hang on to my old style paper license.

• That's what I thought as well, but this article makes it sound like it's the other

It will disappear in 2015, after which only a photocard will be issued. Details of driving convictions will be held on computer and made available to car hire companies and foreign authorities.

And presumably any one else posing as a car hire company as long as they are prepared to hand over some cash...the DVLA are doing too much of this.... :curse:

• Does anyone know if a replacement for a lost licence is identical to the original?, I lost mine and ordered a replacement, but now the original has turned up.... Was going to keep one at work as they need it quite frequently and thats how I lost it.

• Does anyone know if a replacement for a lost licence is identical to the original?, I lost mine and ordered a replacement, but now the original has turned up.... Was going to keep one at work as they need it quite frequently and thats how I lost it.

My son's licene had been amended when he had to replace a lost one. I think he said it had some letters added to the end of the original number. A new one will supersede an old one.

• I was recently preparing myself for a trip driving a big van to France to help friends empty a late relative of theirs' house, and realised my photocard had expired (10 years from date of issue).

Cue frantic trip to a post office for an emergency reapplication, only to later find out the rental people didnt even want to see the photocard and just needed the green paper version. Phew - no problem in the end. Probably lost a few hairs from worry at the thought I might have accidentally sabotaged an already traumatic and stressful period for my friends.

• Mo' money. Just as you have to take more tests to drive bigger things now. And its a nice and easy way for them to keep track of people every ten years. Le sigh, fore why did I not take my driving test when I was younger? Still I beat them trying to take away the bigger trailers just about.

• Check your details any time they do something to your license. A few years back a whole lot of people found that DVLC had removed their motorcycle qualifications when they renewed their licenses for change of address, and unless you had some kind of proof that you really did hold it, they tried very hard to insist that you take your test again. Fortunately I had a photocopy of my original paper license complete with my bike listing.

• for anyone with a licence and a "spare copy" the paper and credit card ones,, you will notice there is an issue No. on each ,these No."s have to match to be legit, if tendering any licence for any check make sure they do, also it costs a company approx £15 to do a telephone dvla check on same thou u must be in attendance with whoever is making call .