Which flavour of Linux?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Windows 2K? IMHO Win2K SP 4 Is the best, most secure, stable, configurable Windows there's ever been...everything went downhill from there...until recently (actually, until I lost my Win2K install disk) it was my "go-to" Windows release...it was sooooo almost there...and the t all went pear shaped... again... and they ocntinue to fuck up on an increasingly reliable basis with each release...I can cope with Windows XP SP3, 'cos it's close enough to 2000 to not notice th differeneces to much...but after that...give me Linux, or give me a piece of wood, nails, a hammer, wire, valves and I'll build by own f**cking system that'll be better han any Windows since XP.

Yay! I use a dual boot system consisting of Win2000pro and a super, stripped down 98se(it boots in less than 10 seconds, ok it's more unstable than I am but it's fun, and great for certain media apps).

• Oops, sorry Paul, should've read back through the thread. Agree totally with the "less faffing the better" theory. A friend of mine who works with computers a lot but who would never dream of mucking about with reg files, roots are underneath flowers and a kernel is in the army, is using Ubuntu with his work and swears by it. A few years ago when processor power(lack off) and memory were issues I was looking at various flavours and decided on Red Hat, but I didn't so saying that was a bit pointless. The only one I use regularly is a Knoppix live disc, it's great for testing rigs in the build process without having to load an OS on the HDD. Also very handy if one acquires used equipment which has unidentified hardware, the live disc is pretty good at identifying the hardware so I know what drivers to find, plus when a win device goes wonky it's a good diagnostic tool to get the computer running and see what's wrong.

• There can be only one!

NAME=Slackware
    VERSION="14.0"
    ID=slackware
    VERSION_ID=14.0
    PRETTY_NAME="Slackware 14.0"
    ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
    CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:slackware:slackware_linux:14.0"
    HOME_URL="http://slackware.com/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"

• Currently running Mint with the Cinnamon GUI on an old test rig just for shits and giggles. Kinda toying with the idea of a Linux fileserver, but then I reckon I'll be better off with a decent NAS enclosure really. Mint/Cinnamon is a decent user experience, but the bottom line for me is that there still isn't sufficient third-party software to make a switch to Linux viable. GIMP is still nowhere near Photoshop, and there's a ton of audio apps that I can't get on Linux. And let's not even talk about games :p

• Currently running Mint with the Cinnamon GUI on an old test rig just for shits and giggles. Kinda toying with the idea of a Linux fileserver, but then I reckon I'll be better off with a decent NAS enclosure really. Mint/Cinnamon is a decent user experience, but the bottom line for me is that there still isn't sufficient third-party software to make a switch to Linux viable. GIMP is still nowhere near Photoshop, and there's a ton of audio apps that I can't get on Linux. And let's not even talk about games :p

The way the Newall has talked about Windows 8 being a catastrophe for anybody in the PC space, Valve are developing their Steam platform for Linux, which can only mean the availability of games for Linux will only get better.

• The way the Newall has talked about Windows 8 being a catastrophe for anybody in the PC space, Valve are developing their Steam platform for Linux, which can only mean the availability of games for Linux will only get better.

I'm sure it will. It ain't there yet though, and there are older games that I still enjoy playing LAN multiplayer. And I really don't wanna piss around with dual-booting or wine.

• Post by VulpaGeist ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I've been playing with duel booting Mint on my netbook, was hoping it might make the ageing hardware feel a bit nippier, but tbh it's no faster then XP and seems worse at video playback.